Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines President: Leaving New York’s JFK ‘Was the Wrong Decision’ {2017}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Airlines President: Leaving New York’s JFK ‘Was the Wrong Decision’ {2017}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:04 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Maybe next headline closing the CLE hub a bad decision. Nice UA seems to be doing well here despite all the new competition. Still flying to non hub routes MCO, FLL, RSW, MKE, BOS, LGA, DCA, SJU, and CUN. Still a crew and maintenance base. The primary reason for pulling out of JFK is they wanted to consolidate everything into EWR. Although UA serves many Overseas routes from EWR still numerous cities are not served and other airlines into JFK and having a domestic operation there for traffic feed would be of great value.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by spin88
I am a fan of trains, and I will take NJT to EWR, I will also take the subway to JFK if I am near it. But I think my view is VERY, VERY unusual for (a) a non-NYC resident (b) flying premium cabin to NYC. Of the people I know who do this trip routinely (from SFO and LAX) and pay for premium cabin, 95% of them use a car service. I think we can all agree that if you are taking a car service, JFK is vastly superior to EWR much of the time.

Once you take your focus away from "I live in NY and know the quirks" and "I am not paying $2400-$3600 RT for each of my tickets, and think about the people who are paying that and don't know NYC so well, well JFK is just easier...
My problem with taking a car (especially to the airport) is that it's unpredictable and sometimes extremely slow. I missed a flight when it took almost three hours to get from Lower Manhattan to EWR, and from then on I just take NJT from Penn as at least I know how long it will take to get to the airport.

I haven't really done it enough to say whether JFK would be better (though I've managed to get stuck in traffic taking well over an hour from JFK too), but I'm firmly of the opinion that all NYC airports are awful when it comes to getting to/from Manhattan. (And helicopter rides are a bit out of my budget.)
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by nikolastojsin
+1
I cannot believe I am agreeing here with Kirby, but he is exactly right.
And that does not apply only to the ex-LAX market - here are two scenes from my recent BOM-EWR trip:

1) At UA BOM checkin line, I was asked by an Indian gentleman how far EWR was from New York. It transpired he was an elite Etihad flier, and apparently was persuaded by his agent to fly UA direct to EWR, instead of flying to JFK with EY via AUH. He had absolutely no idea where EWR was relative to New York, and was quite nervous about it.

2) At the same airport, a security guard that was checking boarding passes at the inter-terminal bus stop - a very lovely and courteous young woman in military uniform, incidentally - looked at my BP and asked: "What is this, EWR?" I explained it was New York's second busiest international airport, but she did not seem persuaded...

Bottom line: JFK is globally recognizable brand, New York's international gateway; EWR... not really.
This, I agree with. I think it's really just a perception thing. If someone overseas actually knew that going to Manhattan is easier from EWR than JFK, then maybe UA wouldn't have this problem.

I think they've done a lot of branding in New york, but they need to do the branding worldwide outside of New York.

I get that there are some companies who prefer JFK because of location. I don't think that's most or even many. It would only be those located outside of Manhattan. Yes, there are some...but that's the case with every airport including small tiny ones.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Kirby's point is that despite having higher margins at EWR than the estimates that DL enjoys at JFK/LGA, UA's overall profit margins have been much lower than DL's, and mistakes like moving ps flights from JFK to EWR may have contributed to that delta.

In the first quarter of 2017, DL's pre-tax profit margin was 9.26% (excluding special items) while UA's first quarter pre-tax profit margin was 2.3% (also excl special items). That's a huge difference.

In 2016, DL's pre-tax profit margin was 15.4% (again, excl special items) while UA's pre-tax profit margin was 12.2% (again, excl special items).

Looks like UA's margin has been down since the ps flights were moved, and UA's margins have been lower than DL's margin for quite some time now. Problem is, the NYC Newark fans aren't paying enough to cover for all of Smisek's missteps.

Moving the ps flights to EWR and closing JFK may have saved the company some nickels in costs but may have also cost the company some dollars in lost revenue (think of the "network" that was impacted when UA could no longer be found at JFK).
It is difficult to attribute a 0.9% drop in operating income (excluding special charges) between 2015 and 2016 to the closure of JFK. It is impossible to attribute United's performance vis-a-vie Delta to JFK.

I think the data points to a near-term benefit from closing JFK with several tens of millions in lower costs and a yield bump from consolidating capacity. Kirby probably sees a longer term opportunity loss (2+ years) from a leakage of corporate traffic. The lack of JFK flights may also hurt his LAX aspirations.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 8:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HoyaSFOIAD
Not sure I understand. United flies to NYC via EWR. Is it the most convienent? For some yes, for some no. Just as for some JFK is easier, for some it's not. The Staples analogy works in UA's favor - United flies to NY. Actually has a huge hub there.
Newark is New Jersey. You referring to their LGA operation as a hub?

since you aren't sure you understand, let us pivot to WN. They flew to ISP and called it NYC. And OAK and called it SF. And BWI and called it DC. Purposeful - the marketing argument being flying to the larger hubs is inefficient

fast forward and they are now in LGA, SFO and DCA+IAD.

smisek and the HouCrew was a cancer.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Austin787
EWR could benefit from a name change. Something like "Newark New York International Airport" would signify it serves Newark but also serves as a gateway to New York City. Like "Baltimore Washington International Airport" promotes BWI as serving Baltimore and Washington DC.
Originally Posted by TerryK
Lipstick on a pig? I missed the days when UA flew from JFK to NRT/LHR/SFO/LAX/EZE.
The issue for me, at least, is that ERW is a 3rd class airport, and that's being generous. Horrible facilities, mean burned out staff.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:04 am
TCD

Programs: UA Gold, BA, HHonors, Avis
Originally Posted by milepig
The issue for me, at least, is that ERW is a 3rd class airport, and that's being generous. Horrible facilities, mean burned out staff.
You're clearly flying from a different JFK to me if you think its much better. I really couldn't tell you if EWR or JFK are on average worse*.

*apart from EWR terminal A which is truly dreadful, but only used by a tiny proportion of UA flights.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
It is surprising. UA had trouble with p.s. profitability in JFK ... so EWR is no better? Flights are full every day and it is much better connected to the rest of the UA network. Tomorrow I am flying BOS-EWR-SFO to fly p.s. ... will do that until BOS-SFO becomes p.s. this summer.
I find it strange to hear that the JFK move was bad ... hmmm.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
It is surprising. UA had trouble with p.s. profitability in JFK ... so EWR is no better? Flights are full every day and it is much better connected to the rest of the UA network. Tomorrow I am flying BOS-EWR-SFO to fly p.s. ... will do that until BOS-SFO becomes p.s. this summer.
I find it strange to hear that the JFK move was bad ... hmmm.
there is no reason they couldn't have left ps alone and added ewr and bos.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by TCD
You're clearly flying from a different JFK to me if you think its much better. I really couldn't tell you if EWR or JFK are on average worse*.

*apart from EWR terminal A which is truly dreadful, but only used by a tiny proportion of UA flights.
being jammed in the inter terminal trains is nasty. Ewr is a dump. Hence the "ew"
Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Kirby's point is that despite having higher margins at EWR than the estimates that DL enjoys at JFK/LGA, UA's overall profit margins have been much lower than DL's, and mistakes like moving ps flights from JFK to EWR may have contributed to that delta.

In the first quarter of 2017, DL's pre-tax profit margin was 9.26% (excluding special items) while UA's first quarter pre-tax profit margin was 2.3% (also excl special items). That's a huge difference.

In 2016, DL's pre-tax profit margin was 15.4% (again, excl special items) while UA's pre-tax profit margin was 12.2% (again, excl special items).

Looks like UA's margin has been down since the ps flights were moved, and UA's margins have been lower than DL's margin for quite some time now. Problem is, the NYC Newark fans aren't paying enough to cover for all of Smisek's missteps.

Moving the ps flights to EWR and closing JFK may have saved the company some nickels in costs but may have also cost the company some dollars in lost revenue (think of the "network" that was impacted when UA could no longer be found at JFK).
The vast majority of the time the PS seats upfront are all sold with none given away. Could there be enough demand to do PS @ both JFK and EWR or would UA just be cannibalizing at that point?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM / Hilton Diamond / Bonvoy Gold / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Newark is New Jersey. You referring to their LGA operation as a hub?

since you aren't sure you understand, let us pivot to WN. They flew to ISP and called it NYC. And OAK and called it SF. And BWI and called it DC. Purposeful - the marketing argument being flying to the larger hubs is inefficient

fast forward and they are now in LGA, SFO and DCA+IAD.

smisek and the HouCrew was a cancer.
Yes I know Newark is in New Jersey. I fly there a lot. Or if I didn't I suppose I could just look at a map and figure out that information. And I agree with you that Smisek and crew were terrible. And no, I wasn't referring to their LGA operation as a hub, but we both know that. What I was saying is that there were some here that were saying that UA flying into EWR was akin to not flying into the NY market at all, which seems a little much.

Yes, WN was in SFO, left for a while and came back, but OAK is their main operation in the Bay Area (and thank god for that when SFO experiences fog/rain/a slight mist/the threat of any of those things) As is BWI in the DC area.
Agree that LGA is a must have versus Islip, but SFO and DCA are "nice to haves" especially with DCA being so close in. Southwest isn't stacking the deck in SFO, and it can't in DCA.

Sure, JFK a more recognizable brand, but if you subtract folks that would always use JFK over EWR on a ps flight (because I'm guessing there are a reciprocal amount that would do the opposite),what UA actually loses in business because of EWRs brand is very likely immaterial at best. If it wasn't we'd be hearing about it in spades.

Having JFK (or having JFK back for that matter) would be a "nice to have." I'd personally love it, but not having it isn't going to be a deal breaker for the airline. It has a huge hub in the NYC area (see what I did there), that works very well for a lot of people.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
there is no reason they couldn't have left ps alone and added ewr and bos.
Really? Where would you find all these planes? Not like UA has a ton a lie-flat 752s sitting around idle.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I'm not familiar with this issue, but reportedly, BA was not willing to renew UA's lease at T7, which would have forced UA into the non-DL areas of T4 with frequent remote gating.

I don't think it's necessarily a given that UA would be, at this point, able to walk back into T7 and pick up where it left off.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by cfischer
Really? Where would you find all these planes? Not like UA has a ton a lie-flat 752s sitting around idle.
I'm pretty sure they would not have been able to add EWR<>SFO and EWR<>LAX with all lie-flats at the frequencies they have now, PLUS have JFK with the same frequency as in the past. There's definitely no way BOS gets any love in that scenario.

As I mentioned earlier, I don't think UA can really consider going back to JFK until they actually have the aircraft to do so. And if/when they do, I would hope that they think about how to elevate the experience (e.g. perhaps going back to all Y+ seats on any JFK routes), instead of just simply doing the same old thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.