Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines President: Leaving New York’s JFK ‘Was the Wrong Decision’ {2017}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Airlines President: Leaving New York’s JFK ‘Was the Wrong Decision’ {2017}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
FT audience simply better informed than the general public.

I was reflecting on the lunacy of his approach to running a full service carrier while enjoying whole cashews in UA Polaris yesterday. The CEO who brags about saving six figures by serving his premium cabin passengers broken cashews just doesn't get it. That decision was emblematic of his entire approach, and the fact that UA has quietly reversed the decision is equally emblematic of its failure.
Yes, this. Cost cuts don't flow straight to the bottom line if they affect the customer's perception of the experience and result in lower revenue. The Detroit auto companies learned this the hard way when they tried to address revenue disadvantages vs the Japanese caused by lower reliability by cheaping out interior material quality to reduce variable costs, which further lowered perceptions of quality and reduced the prices they could command. It was a case of losing another $500 in revenue by saving $100 in materials costs, which is a losing game.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by Austin787
EWR could benefit from a name change. Something like "Newark New York International Airport" would signify it serves Newark but also serves as a gateway to New York City. Like "Baltimore Washington International Airport" promotes BWI as serving Baltimore and Washington DC.
Since Lindbergh Field in San Diego has been re-named San Diego International Airport, why not rename EWR after former NJ resident Charles Lindbergh? Simply call it Newark Lindbergh Airport or Charles Lindbergh Airport.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:13 am

Programs: UA MM GS, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ysolde
I live in Manhattan (on the UWS). Theoretically, it is easier for me to fly in and out of EWR (geographically closer) than out of JFK. However, I avoid EWR like the Plague.

IME (and mileage varies widely on this, obviously), traffic heading out to EWR is just as bad as heading out to JFK, so that is a wash. Coming back from EWR, depending on the time of day, can be much worse, so unless you time it exactly right, and hope that the flight arrives exactly as scheduled (and that, on an international flight, customs is not an unmitigated disaster), coming in from EWR can take forever and a day.

There are also fewer cabs coming in from EWR to Manhattan. What there are are (obviously) Jersey-based, and like to play games with Manhattanites. Manhattan-based car services charge more to go to/from EWR than to go to JFK (still better than those damnable Jersey cabs, though).

Then there is the EWR experience itself. JFK needs some work. EWR is a disaster. Dirty, dingy, overcrowded, poorly managed. And that is as an F/J passenger. The lounges are a joke. My husband once said to me that the BA lounge in TXL, the one everyone makes fun of for being a time capsule, is an oasis of tranquility, with decent quality teas, good coffee making machines, and constant cleaning. It never feels crowded, the staff keeps it clean and tidy, and it feels like a sweet, quaint way to say good-bye to Berlin.

Go to any J lounge in EWR, and it's like the beginning of the zombie apocalypse. Someone is always yelling at some poor staff member, finding a clean spot -- scratch that -- finding an empty spot at which to set down your things becomes an ever more stressful challenge. The minimal offerings are of questionable quality and look like they have been sitting out a bit too long. The bathrooms too often look like they were, perhaps, given a quick once-over in the morning, and then were opened to a frat house for the rest of the day (if that's the bathroom in a J lounge, what on earth do the bathrooms in the rest of EWR look like?).

And then there are the interminable lines, too often unrelieved by status or class of service. No real fault of the airline -- it's just the lack of personnel at EWR that makes the lines so unrelentingly long and the experience feel like a cross between the last flights out of Cuba when Batista fell and checking into minimum security prison.

I realize that I exaggerate (but not by a lot). Flying in and out of EWR is an unpleasant experience for most of us who live in the area and have a choice. It has made UA a non-factor in making travel plans.
You have an entertaining way of writing :-)
Having said that - I completely disagree. I live on the West Side of Manhattan as well and will always take EWR over JFK. Much quicker to get ther (25mins by car). Terminal C is fine and functional and the LH Sen lounge in Terminal B is crowded but nice too.

Coming back I can land mid day from Europe and be home in less than 1h after touch down.
Friday night Holland tunnel traffic can be bad - but good luck with mid town tunnel and LIE coming from JFK at that time - I'd argue it's much worse

And lastly: Uber makes NJ cabbies obsolete!
Old Apr 28, 2017, 8:51 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
The high value flyers he was referring too aren't taking public transit from any NY area airport even if it's faster.

I still have yet to fly a p.s. flight from EWR where J isn't totally full or where you can apply instruments or book in R.
+1 on the first point. All that matters for high value new york area traffic is how easy/hard it it to get to EWR vs. JFK by car.

On the second point, united is selling the seats, but at what yield? To give an example, I just had to book three trips to DCA from SFO. I looked at UA as they have the only afternoon direct (VX has the other) and it was notable that on connecting flights, UA was offering DCA-EWR-SFO in first for basically the same price as connecting elsewhere, and it was often the cheapest option. In sharp contrast, a DCA-JFK-SFO connection on Delta was far more expensive, and every time I have looked in the past is more expensive. Routing ATL/DTW/MSP/SLC was always far cheaper in F.

That says to me that Delta is not needing to fill the J seats JFK-SFO with connecting traffic (or at least connecting traffic at domestic F pricing) while UA is.

I ended up booking one of my six legs on United, mostly as it was the 777-300 so I can try out the Polaris hard product, but the difference in pricing statagy was very pronounced.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
It sounds to me like UA might return to JFK if an opportunity arose for several decent slots, but that in the current environment it is basically impossible. Just the fact that Kirby announced it was a mistake is telling that clearly several HVF/contracts left UA over it's JFK abandonment.

In terms of yield on Premium NYC-LAX/SFO, does anyone know if JFK is more profitable than EWR? I don't know. And I guess it depends per carrier. But it would seem that one carrier dominating EWR with some VX flights competing might likely be more profitable than what's on offer at JFK - i.e. AA/DL/JB/VX.

The aviation industry is sitting on quite a bit of uncertainty right now, and UA has the unique unknown of how bad a hit it's earnings will take from the Dr Dao optics.

Just as a historical perspective, UA's CEO Ferris pursued Pan Am for its Pacific route authorities for three years until Ed Acker had to finally give in or risk a shut down. I am not saying that any of the 4 carriers flying JFK-SFO/LAX are in a comparable financial state as was PA in 1985, but if any of a handful of world hotspots actually go off and air traffic drops significantly, it's possible a good number of slots might open up at JFK for the right price. Of course, in such a new reality, UA might be hit just as badly as everyone else. That is why we are told to save for a rainy day. But short of this type of scenario or a merger (which seems unlikely due to the recent spate of ones concluded), UA is just going to have to make the best out of EWR. It seems like they are at least doing fine without JFK, just not as well as they could have had they kept JFK.

It seems like no one person here knows why UA decided to forego JFK. Was BA asking too much, maybe not offering any renewal, maybe no other terminal to relocate the operation to, maybe something else? It's inconceivable that UA would not have investigated the residual effects on some of it best corporate contracts and flyers, as they did just shortly to abandoning their last JFK Int'l service to NRT and LHR. But I guess we are talking about 2 very different United Airlines.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, Amex Centurion
Favorable for me, but I see why they lost customers

As a resident of Hoboken, NJ and someone that works in investment banking, the move of PS has been good for me. I am GS and fly EWR-SFO/LAX twice a month. However, I can see why this may not have made the most business sense. First, despite it being horrifically inconvenient, most EWR flyers made the trek to JFK pre PS move since we didn't have any flat bed options to SFO/LAX. At JFK, United likely retained its elite flyers and could jump ball for those not tied to one airline. It seems like United traded corporate customers for likely lower yielding connecting premium traffic.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by adambrau
In terms of yield on Premium NYC-LAX/SFO, does anyone know if JFK is more profitable than EWR? I don't know. And I guess it depends per carrier. But it would seem that one carrier dominating EWR with some VX flights competing might likely be more profitable than what's on offer at JFK - i.e. AA/DL/JB/VX.
Depends how you attribute it.

It's pretty clear that what Kirby was saying was that the spreadsheet numbers on EWR were better than JFK for these routes. But the impact of the JFK pullout caused ancillary damage in the form of lost customers and corporate contracts that they hadn't planned for making the pullout a net negative for the company.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 11:04 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by halls120
Why, because you say so? Have any actual facts to support your position?
No, it's not because I say it. It's because the past is irrelevant. Kirby's statements are logically and economically tested in the present situations--the time of the decisions. Whether it was the wrong decision to leave or not at the time of the decision isn't determined by what happened years ago. The past is the past. You have the analyze the current situation.

Thinking that the past does matter and UA lost important traffic well before they dropped JFK actually hurts Kirby's statements and implications. That "lost traffic" would have to be re-gained even if they stayed at JFK. Hence it can't be counted in the cost equation for re-starting JFK, as it's incurred in the equation for the initial decision to leave. It makes leaving more of the right decision.

Originally Posted by tphuang
Those weren't the market price. Those were price used so they can get the deals past DOT. The deals were slot swap.
The initial deal was a slot swap of equal vales, but it turned into a straight sale after the DOT changed EWR. UA wasn't forced to sell. Both parties obviously agreed to the price.

Originally Posted by spin88
That says to me that Delta is not needing to fill the J seats JFK-SFO with connecting traffic (or at least connecting traffic at domestic F pricing) while UA is.
One tiny route tells us nothing. I found the exact opposite. DL is the one discounting DCA-NYC-SFO for the foreseeable future. What does tell us something is PS fare data, and UA has been a top contender for years when adjusted to PRASM. Another thing that tells us is capacity, and UA wins there too.

Originally Posted by adambrau
All the indicators tell us that EWR is more profitable than JFK. The competition at JFK is intense. UA can exploit some market power at EWR The average fares support EWR being more profitable. The cost side for just UA should be much better at EWR than it was at JFK, and it should rival or top any carrier's costs at JFK due to economies of scale. UA's high and superior capacity level at EWR indicates better profitability as well.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 4:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by minnyfly
No, it's not because I say it. It's because the past is irrelevant. Kirby's statements are logically and economically tested in the present situations--the time of the decisions. Whether it was the wrong decision to leave or not at the time of the decision isn't determined by what happened years ago. The past is the past. You have the analyze the current situation.
Fair enough. But since you still haven't offered any facts to support your opinion, we can give it all the regard that it warrants.
Old May 2, 2017, 11:12 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
One tiny route tells us nothing. I found the exact opposite. DL is the one discounting DCA-NYC-SFO for the foreseeable future. What does tell us something is PS fare data, and UA has been a top contender for years when adjusted to PRASM. Another thing that tells us is capacity, and UA wins there too.
lots of claims, no data. Easy to make any claim you want on the interthingy

I actually just booked my second flight on UA via PS. Its a return from DCA on May 16, United is posting all of the flights DCA-EWR-SFO for $745 o/w, Delta wanted $1822 for a flight via JFK, and F via other hubs (non-Delta One) was
$1022. VX wanted $1699. I saw the same thing out, UA via EWR in J was cheap, cheap, cheap. This is now the third connecting routing in a week I have found United to be massively cheaper via EWR than DL is via JFK, with UA being as cheap (if not cheaper) than DL on non-Delta-one flights.

Either Dao is having an impact, or UA is selling a lot of connecting J seats on "PS" for real cheap.
Old May 2, 2017, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
I ended up booking one of my six legs on United, mostly as it was the 777-300 so I can try out the Polaris hard product, but the difference in pricing strategy was very pronounced.
Have you taken the 773 leg?

David
Old May 2, 2017, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Either Dao is having an impact, or UA is selling a lot of connecting J seats on "PS" for real cheap.
It's just DCA, right? For whatever reason there's something wonky about cat3 on the SFO/WAS fares and the ones which allow the intl aircraft on SFO-IAD are also allowing p.s. routing (and the DCA fares too).
Old May 3, 2017, 1:34 am

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by halls120
Fair enough. But since you still haven't offered any facts to support your opinion, we can give it all the regard that it warrants
Again, it isn't a factual dilemma, and it isn't an opinion. There are no numbers involved, and it's logical proof. Channa's original theory for defending Kirby is a cost that would be incurred whether UA stayed or left. Staying competitive is a continuous "cost" of business. Previous gains or losses, and how much it takes to re-gain it, can not be placed in the equation for deciding whether quitting was wrong and re-starting service is wrong. The past is in the past. You can't reverse it. The irony is that arguing for its importance would make Kirby's implication even weaker if it was correct to include it in the equation.

Take this simplified example. Let's say UA's PS product was slipping over the years, and this cost them 50 million a year in revenue by 2015. The cost to re-gain their revenue position is unknown, but clearly it will take an expense of some sort.

If UA stays at JFK, will they have to address this trend? Yes.
If UA leaves JFK, will they have to address this trend if they decide to return? Yes.

It's a continuous "cost". Therefore it can't be included in the analysis of Kirby's comments of decisions made in a moment of time. If one says that this lost business was very high and would cost a high amount to re-gain, that makes the equation for leaving stronger, since the cost to re-gain competitiveness is increased. But it also makes the equation to return stronger, since now there's more potential revenue to re-claim, and any cost to remain competitive has a larger potential payout. It works in the opposite direction of Kirby's implications. Arguing for its importance actually works against Kirby's comments and is ironically the opposite of a defense of him.

lots of claims, no data. Easy to make any claim you want on the interthingy

I actually just booked my second flight on UA via PS. Its a return from DCA on May 16, United is posting all of the flights DCA-EWR-SFO for $745 o/w, Delta wanted $1822 for a flight via JFK, and F via other hubs (non-Delta One) was
$1022. VX wanted $1699. I saw the same thing out, UA via EWR in J was cheap, cheap, cheap. This is now the third connecting routing in a week I have found United to be massively cheaper via EWR than DL is via JFK, with UA being as cheap (if not cheaper) than DL on non-Delta-one flights.

Your tiny anecdotal "evidence" doesn't even pass the revenue management test. For the same date, now that the 3-week threshold is past, UA's lowest business fare for DCA-EWR-SFO is $1,742 (Y on DCA-EWR) DL? Their lowest is $1,595 (Y on DCA-JFK) and $1,775 for F/J. Who's discounting now?

Do I really need to show you evidence when its already been stated earlier in this thread and has been commonly known for years? Do I really need to point out to you the current schedules that show us that UA runs the most flights and J seats on the NYC-JFK/SFO routes?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 3, 2017 at 9:55 am Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s)
Old May 3, 2017, 4:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Again, it isn't a factual dilemma, and it isn't an opinion. There are no numbers involved, and it's logical proof. Channa's original theory for defending Kirby is a cost that would be incurred whether UA stayed or left.
Instead of what Channa may have said in the past, why don't we focus on what he is saying now:

It's pretty clear that what Kirby was saying was that the spreadsheet numbers on EWR were better than JFK for these routes. But the impact of the JFK pullout caused ancillary damage in the form of lost customers and corporate contracts that they hadn't planned for making the pullout a net negative for the company.
Kirby is either lying or he's telling the truth. He has access to the data, and you don't. Why should we take your word over his? He is inside the company, and you aren't. How does logic overcome this fact?
Old May 3, 2017, 7:17 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Right now with UA having the 773 on that route also ups capacity considerably over 752's, so that may be a reason they are taking domestic F connection traffic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.