Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Polaris Cutbacks Begin .... one less pillow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Polaris Cutbacks Begin .... one less pillow

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2017, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by WheelsUpGal
Darn it! I'd rather have two pillows and the one duvet. Guess I will bring my own. Like a 6 year old! I LOVED all the bedding but agree it's tough unless you have an aisle seat. I used the mattress pad on the very long flights to and from Australia and really liked it.

Still never sure when to ask for the gel pillow, slippers, bears, and bed time stories . .
Don't bother asking for the bears. They haven't been given out in awhile and only on "special" flights, i.e., for about one week on the inaugural Polaris seat flights.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:13 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Took my first Polaris flight in a couple months today (EWR-HAM)...definitely felt like there have been cutbacks.

-no more wine flights, and only 2 wine selections per red/white, as opposed to 3
-the quality of the entree (poached salmon) wasn't that great, and the lentils/broccolini looked a bit tired. The pretzel roll was also stale - first time I have not had one that was warm and moist.
-sundaes are back, but in paper cups...feels a tad cheap. Less toppings are available as well.
-the new amenity kit is more practical from a post-flight usage perspective but has far less stuff in it than amenity kits over the past several years, going back to the BF branding

IMO it's not a great sign that the soft product is degrading meaningfully despite the hard product remaining the same. Definitely the worst of the Polaris-branded flights I have taken so far - not bad enough to want to fly in Y but certainly below average.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 6:38 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Took my first Polaris flight in a couple months today (EWR-HAM)...definitely felt like there have been cutbacks.

-no more wine flights, and only 2 wine selections per red/white, as opposed to 3
-the quality of the entree (poached salmon) wasn't that great, and the lentils/broccolini looked a bit tired. The pretzel roll was also stale - first time I have not had one that was warm and moist.
-sundaes are back, but in paper cups...feels a tad cheap. Less toppings are available as well.
-the new amenity kit is more practical from a post-flight usage perspective but has far less stuff in it than amenity kits over the past several years, going back to the BF branding

IMO it's not a great sign that the soft product is degrading meaningfully despite the hard product remaining the same. Definitely the worst of the Polaris-branded flights I have taken so far - not bad enough to want to fly in Y but certainly below average.
As counter experiences
- Did you ask your FA about the wine flights? I had wine flights offered the week of July 26th for ORD-EDI and DUB-EWR, so unless it got killed at the beginning of August I wonder if it was a catering issue or an apathetic FA.
- I've never been a fan of the Polaris food, but am an admittedly picky eater. I will say that I got one bite out of the risotto on DUB-EWR before I threw in the napkin and sent it back to the galley. Pretzel roll was as good as always though.
- I asked about the sundaes, the ISM or whatever they're called now mentioned that UA has tried 2 new vendors for glass bowls, thought they had found one that would work, but that failed more rigorous testing and now they're looking for a 3rd vendor and he thinks it will be several more months before they get it sorted out...toping assortment for DUB-EWR seemed as generous as typical (cherries, strawberries, nuts, chocolate, whipped cream, caramel, etc.)
- Agree about the amenity kit.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
As counter experiences
- Did you ask your FA about the wine flights? I had wine flights offered the week of July 26th for ORD-EDI and DUB-EWR, so unless it got killed at the beginning of August I wonder if it was a catering issue or an apathetic FA.
- I've never been a fan of the Polaris food, but am an admittedly picky eater. I will say that I got one bite out of the risotto on DUB-EWR before I threw in the napkin and sent it back to the galley. Pretzel roll was as good as always though.
- I asked about the sundaes, the ISM or whatever they're called now mentioned that UA has tried 2 new vendors for glass bowls, thought they had found one that would work, but that failed more rigorous testing and now they're looking for a 3rd vendor and he thinks it will be several more months before they get it sorted out...toping assortment for DUB-EWR seemed as generous as typical (cherries, strawberries, nuts, chocolate, whipped cream, caramel, etc.)
- Agree about the amenity kit.
I didn't ask about wine flights, but the menu only had 2, and the wine flight specifically had 3 glasses...certainly seemed like a cut to me. None of that was on the cart. Will be flying back on CDG-ORD in a couple weeks so will see if this was a one-off or not.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I didn't ask about wine flights, but the menu only had 2, and the wine flight specifically had 3 glasses...certainly seemed like a cut to me. None of that was on the cart. Will be flying back on CDG-ORD in a couple weeks so will see if this was a one-off or not.
Lately the menu lists only 2 each of red & white, but then notes that other special/rotating wines are available, ask your FA.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Lately the menu lists only 2 each of red & white, but then notes that other special/rotating wines are available, ask your FA.
Lately, Champagne, desserts/sweet treats, Hot Bites, and "Sommelier's Choice" wines are all unspecified.

I expect next month the menu will be an index card that reads "Food - ask your flight attendant for today's selections"

iluv2fly and Plane-is-home like this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Lately, Champagne, desserts/sweet treats, Hot Bites, and "Sommelier's Choice" wines are all unspecified.

I expect next month the menu will be an index card that reads "Food - ask your flight attendant for today's selections"

"What's for dinner?"

"Food."

"Sounds good."
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by fezzington
Gel pillow is easy to grab at boarding as PDBs/amenity kits are handed out. Slippers, bears, and bed time stories, not so much.

Also, I sincerely hope someone asks for a bedtime story next time I'm working a Polaris cabin.
If someone ever does please read them the novelized version of Airport 77.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by N104UA
Alternatives worthy of consideration: "Flight 232: A Story of Disaster and Survival" by Laurence Gonzales (I actually read it entirely on UA flights a couple months ago...a fascinating read) or "Hard Landing: The epic contest for power and profits that plunged the airlines into chaos" by Thomas Petzinger, Jr. (It's a bit old at this point -- really wish there was a "Vol 2" but again fascinating and a little less traumatic--unless you're an investor.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 6:29 pm

Not sure how I feel about he new amenities kit either - They feel sort of cheap and are hard to zipper open and closed.

The white Polaris F kit still has mouth wash, and 4-pack Cowshed assortment v the 3-pack in Polaris C.

The best kit UAL's had in a long time was the Global First leather Cowshed kit from like 18 months ago. It had a hook that you could hang on a door and was quite spacious. I still use that, and my red Braun Buffel from LH F.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 5:25 am

Programs: United GS/MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Good, customers hate receiving too many amenities
Old Aug 12, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by N104UA
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.