Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Polaris Cutbacks Begin .... one less pillow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Polaris Cutbacks Begin .... one less pillow

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2017, 10:15 pm

My last 30 days segments in 3-class F...I only got the Gold "Polaris Global First" amenities kit once:

EWR-GVA - C kit / 2 pillows / Sundae
FRA-SFO - F kit / 2 pillows / ginger ice cream
SFO-ICN - C kit / 1 pillow / mango ice cream
ICN-ICN - C kit / 1 pillow / cheesecake ice cream

Combined with what I'm reading here, I'm not alone with the kit downgrade. Anyone else?
Old May 16, 2017, 2:55 am

Programs: AA-EXP 2.8 MM,UA-GS 1.3 MM,DL-PL,HH-DM,LH-SEN,Bonvoy-GL
Yesterday TLV – EWR UA85 no second pillow and no gel pillow and they were short on amenity kits
Old May 16, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold
I'm not surprised over the small pillow (I felt it was too much back when I took one of the first Polaris flights in December - MUC-IAH), but they should keep a few on board.

Mattress pad though was amazing - first time I had really good sleep in J in a long time. They need to advertise it more.
Old May 16, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I remember when I flew EWR-LIM, I could hear the FA asking for amenity kits.
First she said "we don't have enough for the return trip"
Then, they brought some and she said "These are the domestic amenity kits"
Finally, they got the right ones.

So if there isnt an attentive FA, I could see them being short on supplies
Old May 16, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
WWMPD???? (What will Mr Pillows do?)
Old May 16, 2017, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by rishib
I'm not surprised over the small pillow (I felt it was too much back when I took one of the first Polaris flights in December - MUC-IAH), but they should keep a few on board.

Mattress pad though was amazing - first time I had really good sleep in J in a long time. They need to advertise it more.
Well the thing is, 3-class United First has always had 2 pillows, so that cut back kinda feels strange. Yes, you can ask for a gel pillow, if an FA can find one.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: United, Southwest
Missing pillows?

I just watched a video report about a recent "Polaris" flight (767 - 300 with 2-1-1 Business) from Madrid to Newark. The poster stated that now there is just ONE pillow and two blankets as the smaller pillow (not gel, just normal) were being stolen. Is this true? Have others experienced just ONE pillow in Business First? Had a quick turnaround due to a late arrival so maybe they just weren't loaded?

I flew to Sydney (Polaris) on the 787 in February and did notice that on the way TO Sydney (ex LAX) no one every picked up any garbage (plastic wrap, snack wrappers). Not once. Better on the return.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 6:00 pm

Programs: United, American
Originally Posted by WheelsUpGal
I just watched a video report about a recent "Polaris" flight (767 - 300 with 2-1-1 Business) from Madrid to Newark. The poster stated that now there is just ONE pillow and two blankets as the smaller pillow (not gel, just normal) were being stolen. Is this true? Have others experienced just ONE pillow in Business First? Had a quick turnaround due to a late arrival so maybe they just weren't loaded?

I flew to Sydney (Polaris) on the 787 in February and did notice that on the way TO Sydney (ex LAX) no one every picked up any garbage (plastic wrap, snack wrappers). Not once. Better on the return.
This was true on UA988 FRA-IAD. I think it was anounced here they cut back on a pillow a few months ago.

Personally, 1 pillow + the gel pillow was enough for myself and on the 2 pillow flight I took in December I didn't use the second pillow.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA 2MM

They removed the 2nd pillow months ago the gel pillow still is and always has been available upon request.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:22 pm

Programs: United, Southwest
Darn it! I'd rather have two pillows and the one duvet. Guess I will bring my own. Like a 6 year old! I LOVED all the bedding but agree it's tough unless you have an aisle seat. I used the mattress pad on the very long flights to and from Australia and really liked it.

Still never sure when to ask for the gel pillow, slippers, bears, and bed time stories . .
Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:40 pm

I gotta say, the mattress pad, the two pillows + the memory cooling gel pillow, with the air nozzles pointing directly over you while you're covered laying down flat in your duvet. Yah, that was pretty nice.

My seat mate to Geneva earlier this year in C class on a 3-cabin 763 (an LX-only traveler who was flying UA for the first time in years), was seriously impressed with all the bedding. In fact, she made her bed and called it her "Four Seasons bed". But yah, a lot in the cabin ore-emptively put the bedding materials behind the IPTE seat, which isn't the best if they forget and start reclining.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 3:40 am

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Darn it! I'd rather have two pillows and the one duvet. Guess I will bring my own. Like a 6 year old! I LOVED all the bedding but agree it's tough unless you have an aisle seat. I used the mattress pad on the very long flights to and from Australia and really liked it.

Still never sure when to ask for the gel pillow, slippers, bears, and bed time stories . .
Always.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
If you keep the duvet rolled up it makes a good pillow if your at the window. Just wedge it between the seat and the wall.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 8:22 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Gel pillow is easy to grab at boarding as PDBs/amenity kits are handed out. Slippers, bears, and bed time stories, not so much.

Also, I sincerely hope someone asks for a bedtime story next time I'm working a Polaris cabin.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by fezzington
Gel pillow is easy to grab at boarding as PDBs/amenity kits are handed out. Slippers, bears, and bed time stories, not so much.

Also, I sincerely hope someone asks for a bedtime story next time I'm working a Polaris cabin.
please do share if it ever happens

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.