Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United, based on pax complaint, calls police on false report of child trafficking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United, based on pax complaint, calls police on false report of child trafficking

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
Human Trafficking is a HUGE problem and airplanes are routinely used to transport the girls. All FAs & airline employees receive training to spot the signs and react accordingly.

Don't know the particulars in this case, but I would rather the occasional innocent person be inconvenienced than a human trafficker slip through with their victim.
+1

When I traveled with my son to Austtalia when he was young (and vice versa for his father) I would have a letter from his father stating I had permission to travel with our son outside the country and the letter would state the period. We did this based on legal advice and this was before we even thought about divorcing. The last thing a parent wants is to be separated from a (young) child. An ounce of prevention.

Perhaps instead of blaming the airlines, parents could think about taking actions to prove traveling with their child with permission of the other parent. It is not just potential child trafficking there is also the higher risk of child abduction in custody disputes.

Did similar letters when my son travelled with his grandparents.

We were never asked to produce the document but we had one for each and every trip.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I recall when we were young my parents would send a letter with my grandparents (Dad's side so we had the same last names) saying they had permission to travel with us. This was late-80s/early-90s going to Hawaii, Disneyworld, Switzerland, etc so perhaps a totally different time for air travel & social attitudes in general.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 8:39 am

Wouldn't they be passing through immigration on arrival? Isn't that the proper time and place for the authorities to review the documents and ensure everything was in order?

Forcing a pax to make a walk of shame because of the color of his skin is the problem here.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
+1

When I traveled with my son to Austtalia when he was young (and vice versa for his father) I would have a letter from his father stating I had permission to travel with our son outside the country and the letter would state the period. We did this based on legal advice and this was before we even thought about divorcing. The last thing a parent wants is to be separated from a (young) child. An ounce of prevention.

Perhaps instead of blaming the airlines, parents could think about taking actions to prove traveling with their child with permission of the other parent. It is not just potential child trafficking there is also the higher risk of child abduction in custody disputes.

Did similar letters when my son travelled with his grandparents.

We were never asked to produce the document but we had one for each and every trip.
The father in this story DID have a notarized letter that was examined at check-in. What else was he supposed to do?
Old Apr 18, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: United MileagePlus - Premier Gold, Star Alliance Gold, World of Hyatt Explorist, Avis Preferred Plus
It looks to me that there are people out there who will inflate or exaggerate any perceived or received offense no matter how minor or slight it is against United Airlines in order to monetize or cash in on the 'outrage'.

The wolves smell blood so they're all vying to up the outrage meter in order to collect. What do we have thus far?

1. UA is forced to remove passenger who refuses to be involuntarily bumped - outrage
2. UA doesn't spread butter on bread roll of elderly woman in business class - outrage
3. Couple going to their wedding is removed from plane after told to go back to their ticket class multiple times - outrage
4. Man on UA flight is bitten by scorpion - outrage
5. Couple is accused of human trafficking by passenger - outrage

If embellishment can be converted to millions of dollars and retirement, people will embellish.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
It would be interesting to know what verbiage and procedures UA put in the FA operations manual to deal with this. As well as if those procedures were followed.

From the UA AFA website:

Procedures when Human Trafficking is suspected have recently been added to our eFAOM’s Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) section. In this section, United has outlined procedures and exact verbiage that should be used and what to look for when Human Trafficking is suspected.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
And press asks "What proof do you have?"

a) I saw a man of one color with a child not quite the same color.

not

b) I saw a man with a young child who seemed to not speak the same language and on his computer screen he was flicking through what looked like a catalogue of other images of children.
At a time when it's vogue to crap on United and any article related to United getting massive clicks, I doubt the press will ask for proof...and even if some newspapers ask for proof, there will be one that doesn't. Once one article is released, you can be sure others will follow.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 9:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
So UA ignores the nosy passenger and does nothing, and nosy passenger goes to the press claiming UA "let a child trafficker go."
No, the passenger who reported the problem can be asked to stay behind to answer any questions. CBP (or whoever responds) can approach the situation with an open mind, instead of assuming guilt and acting accordingly.

I can't help but wonder how ugly this might have gotten if CBP had not been able to reach the man's wife in a timely manner.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by lazard
At a time when it's vogue to crap on United and any article related to United getting massive clicks, I doubt the press will ask for proof...and even if some newspapers ask for proof, there will be one that doesn't. Once one article is released, you can be sure others will follow.
If you do something someone will get offended, if you do nothing someone will get offended. In many cases it will be the same person.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by gene2632
Lots of questions in my mind. This man was with his daughter on an international flight. Did anyone check their passports? Do they have the same last name?
Many people, myself included, do not have the same last name as their children. I've gotten suspicious (and insensitive) questions when traveling internationally with my children. That's why it's a good idea to carry original birth certificates and a notarized letter and from your spouse.

Last edited by JMontpelier; Apr 18, 2017 at 10:47 am
Old Apr 18, 2017, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by ROCAT
If you do something someone will get offended, if you do nothing someone will get offended. In many cases it will be the same person.
sad times we live in. safe spaces for everyone.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, WN A-List, AA Exec Plat, National Emerald
Here's what the police who boarded the plane should have done: They should have taken the _passenger who complained_ aside and gotten the story. Then said: "OK. We'll make sure everything is OK" after assessing the story. No need to embarrass a person who is presumed innocent.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
In this case, the airline personnel were stuck between a rock and a hard place. The nosy passenger reported what he/she thought was possible child trafficking to the FA. Was the FA supposed to then perform the function of a LEO and make the determination of whether the allegation was true? I don't think anyone would want that. Once the allegation was made, I don't think the airline had any choice but to involve LEOs.
Well the FAs have HT training, does the random passenger making unfounded accusations? Shouldn't the FAs use that training instead of relaying baseless claims?

No, the FAs need to use some common sense and their training. Which seems to be in very short supply at UA these days, from the top down.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
...I would rather the occasional innocent person be inconvenienced than a human trafficker slip through with their victim...
Their details were checked in Mexico (probably more than once), and there was no problem there.

This is like Travelodge here in the UK that had police already waiting at checkin for a father and daughter, because the father was automatically assumed to be a paedophile because of his child daughter . The wife & mother had died a few months previous. Why are men automatically assumed to be paedophiles or child traffickers?
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Manospeed
It looks to me that there are people out there who will inflate or exaggerate any perceived or received offense no matter how minor or slight it is against United Airlines in order to monetize or cash in on the 'outrage'.

The wolves smell blood so they're all vying to up the outrage meter in order to collect. What do we have thus far?

1. UA is forced to remove passenger who refuses to be involuntarily bumped - outrage
2. UA doesn't spread butter on bread roll of elderly woman in business class - outrage
3. Couple going to their wedding is removed from plane after told to go back to their ticket class multiple times - outrage
4. Man on UA flight is bitten by scorpion - outrage
5. Couple is accused of human trafficking by passenger - outrage

If embellishment can be converted to millions of dollars and retirement, people will embellish.
UA was totally justified in the scorpion incident. It was the only appropriate response to passenger complaints about harsh treatment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.