Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Crew Refused to Allow Daughter of 94 Year Old Grandma to Assist Her Mother

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Crew Refused to Allow Daughter of 94 Year Old Grandma to Assist Her Mother

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
Link? I tried to Google it and I can't find any news stories about those airlines doing something similar to an elderly or disabled traveler. I don't have a dog in the fight to defend any of them, so if these carriers are notoriously bad for the elderly to travel on, so be it.
I've never seen unaccompanied elders sitting in a premium cabin on another carrier. I was on an EK flight where the father (fully mobile) was the only passenger in F and the adult son was in J. The crew allowed the father to come back to J but refused to allow the son to visit F.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by fly18725
I've never seen unaccompanied elders sitting in a premium cabin on another carrier. I was on an EK flight where the father (fully mobile) was the only passenger in F and the adult son was in J. The crew allowed the father to come back to J but refused to allow the son to visit F.
Unaccompanied elders? I've never seen a maximum age to travel alone, nor am I aware of any airline that offers or requires Unaccompanied Elder (UE) service. Age is not a handicap.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Unaccompanied elders? I've never seen a maximum age to travel alone, nor am I aware of any airline that offers or requires Unaccompanied Elder (UE) service. Age is not a handicap.
How else would you define an elder person who needs assistance seated in a cabin without a companion?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:04 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Passenger with special needs? Elderly age is neither necessary nor sufficient.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:13 am

Passenger with special needs? Elderly age is neither necessary nor sufficient.
To facilitate to productive discussion and avoid unnecessaryily prolific posting arguing semantics, perhaps you could provide a glossary of approved terminology.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:17 am

I'm just saying that there's a big difference between extremely young and extremely old. I think we'd all agree that no four year old can travel alone, whereas at age 94, some can travel alone perfectly well while others cannot.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), SPG (Lifetime Plat), Star Alliance, One World, Virgin (Gold)
Perhaps like "service" animals being on board foc, the elderly should be allowed a "service human" foc....
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Premier Owl
Perhaps like "service" animals being on board foc, the elderly should be allowed a "service human" foc....
Would it stay on the floor beside the elderly person's legs or be required to fit under the seat in front? That's where service animals ride.

If you give it a seat, lots of people will be riding for free. The elderly could supplement their incomes by selling the right to serve at their service humans, with expensive flights to attractive destination being especially lucrative.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I boarded once to find a service animal sitting in my seat. I just laughed and told the dog he was sitting in my seat. The owner did immediately pick him up, and the dog was generally well-behaved except for, at one point during boarding, trying to bolt off the flight (we were in the first row), and the owner was yelling "get him". Fortunately, I like dogs and thought the whole thing was funny. But then I am sitting there with my PDB on my way home, so what's not to like.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), SPG (Lifetime Plat), Star Alliance, One World, Virgin (Gold)
@MSPeconomist - it was meant to be tongue in cheek, although nothing surprises me in the USA.

I know several people who have managed to get "Service" status for their dog so the dog can travel free of charge...

(This post should not be taken out of context, yes I am sure there are many people who need a service dog when they travel)
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
How else would you define an elder person who needs assistance seated in a cabin without a companion?
So what you're saying is... a human cant be a comfort animal?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Premier Owl
@MSPeconomist - it was meant to be tongue in cheek, although nothing surprises me in the USA.

I know several people who have managed to get "Service" status for their dog so the dog can travel free of charge...

(This post should not be taken out of context, yes I am sure there are many people who need a service dog when they travel)
I saw one this weekend with a red "emotional support animal" vest. (An untrained pet, not a service animal.) I'm sure the vest plus some fake certificate cost $39.95 off of some website...

But we have a whole (long) thread already about this...
Old Apr 20, 2017, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
answer in bold from your own post:

Old Apr 20, 2017, 3:48 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Would it stay on the floor beside the elderly person's legs or be required to fit under the seat in front? That's where service animals ride.

If you give it a seat, lots of people will be riding for free. The elderly could supplement their incomes by selling the right to serve at their service humans, with expensive flights to attractive destination being especially lucrative.
My daughter once traveled with such a service animal ... it sat on the floor in the bulkhead seat.

Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:03 pm

I thought the service animal had to have a collar and leash on at all times.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.