Wiki Posts
Search

Couple removed from flight to Costa Rica

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:23 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I find it puzzling too as FAM SOP is not to out themselves except for something very serious.

What other marshalls would be around the airport, or is a Marshall in Texas (old TV show?) sort of like a sheriff?

Still, to me the mystery is how UA was able to get some sort of Marshall other than a FAM to the aircraft within a few minutes of the FA telling the couple to move back to their own seats.
The only reliable source of information I have seen is this video where the groom simply says 'marshall', it appears to be news outlets adding various qualifiers to the word marshall, sometimes US, sometimes Air, sometimes Federal Air.

Edited to Add: This article says a TSA spokesman confirmed no federal marshall or TSA employee was involved.

Last edited by Beckles; Apr 17, 2017 at 3:29 pm
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
More details from Business Insider:

http://www.businessinsider.com/unite...ta-rica-2017-4

Summary:
  • The couple moved from E- to E+
  • Declined to pay and refused to move back
  • No air marshall or LEO involved
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:31 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by drewguy
Uncertainty is understandable, at least until the FA says "sorry, pay or move back".
Does the money-collecting FA always have time and opportunity to collect payment between when the last passenger boarded and when the plane starts moving?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by knit-in
If the FAs are required to call moving within the cabin an "upgrade", then management is making their jobs really hard. The only movement within the cabin they should be required to monitor is for an exit row being occupied with someone who isn't ready, willing and able to help during an emergency.
Which is why they don't police the policy very hard. People do occasionally jump into E+ after the doors close, and sometimes the FAs choose to be hard about it. It doesn't change the fact that a lot of travelers feel entitled that they can do whatever they please.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:55 pm

Location: Near Chicago and Under the MDW and ORD Flight Paths, IL, USA
Programs: UA recovering Premier
I think most of us who have been flying since UA introduced E+ have had some sort of encounter with seat poachers. When the E+ seat is a "complementary" perk for an elite, poachers are generally an annoyance; when you've paid up for E+, it goes beyond that. Now that I've lost status, I'm real unhappy when somebody poaches E+. Why pay up if you can just grab it for free?

For those of you griping that E+ is simply another E- seat, you're factually correct in terms of the chair. But since UA has decided to monetize those seats, it is a different matter for both the airline and the paid E+ pax. They can't allow poaching and also demand payment.

In days gone by, the worst case would be the guy already in E+ who wants the rest of his family to move up from the back of the bus and you to move back "so they can all be together". My response was, "How about you move back and send someone up here so you can all be together back there."

My sense is that these were poachers who 1) wanted their 15 minutes of fame thanks to the other incident; 2) pushed all the buttons with a FA; and 3) managed to find a "journalist" who was willing to sell the "cute newlyweds versus mean airline" story.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:59 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus - Premier Gold, Star Alliance Gold, World of Hyatt Explorist, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by PTahCha
More details from Business Insider:

http://www.businessinsider.com/unite...ta-rica-2017-4

Summary:
  • The couple moved from E- to E+
  • Declined to pay and refused to move back
  • No air marshall or LEO involved
voila...
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I find it puzzling too as FAM SOP is not to out themselves except for something very serious.
I have had this conversation with off duty FAM, and friend working at FAA. They consider anything but a serious threat or action a distraction to mask a serious threat or action. If a FAM addresses an unruly passenger it allows a potential 'sleeper' to get the jump on the FAM and possibly neutralize them.

FA's are instructed that in case of emergency they are not even supposed to call out for the FAM as to not out them.

Back to the topic at hand:

The couple moved from E- to E+
Declined to pay and refused to move back
No air marshall or LEO involved
Ya, that will get you booted.....as it should. The original article where they say a passenger was sleeping across their row was always super sketchy IMO. No FA would allow that during boarding.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, DL 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Does the money-collecting FA always have time and opportunity to collect payment between when the last passenger boarded and when the plane starts moving?
Very unlikely that they "always have time." Virtually nothing in the world is so certain that one could say "it always happens." Why does it matter whether they "always have time" or not?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM, HHonors Diamond
Error 404: Page not found.
my bad....

http://www.khou.com/news/local/bride...ston/431644313
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe

If the two pax indeed sat down in an E+ row, without paying (or without the status credentials to support it), then yes, a crime was being committed. It's not a felony, but I fail to see why many folks think poaching a seat that costs extra isn't theft, when presumably, these same folks know that walking out of store with a can of coke they didn't pay for is.
But if they moved when asked to - as they claim - how is that any more theft than picking up an item off a store counter and putting it back once you see the price tag? Now we've all heard stories where exactly that happened and cops were called by store managers. Typical ugly stereotypes are usually found at the root of that kind of overreaction.
Now, you can call this couple liars if you like. And claim they so aggressively refused to move back that they had to be removed for safety reasons per the crew report. Considering the accuracy of recent UA crew incident reports, I'm more apt to call it pumping up the story to justify crew actions. Which I would characterize as overreaction since the cabin was half empty.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by p1cunnin
I think most of us who have been flying since UA introduced E+ have had some sort of encounter with seat poachers. When the E+ seat is a "complementary" perk for an elite, poachers are generally an annoyance; when you've paid up for E+, it goes beyond that. Now that I've lost status, I'm real unhappy when somebody poaches E+. Why pay up if you can just grab it for free?

For those of you griping that E+ is simply another E- seat, you're factually correct in terms of the chair. But since UA has decided to monetize those seats, it is a different matter for both the airline and the paid E+ pax. They can't allow poaching and also demand payment.

In days gone by, the worst case would be the guy already in E+ who wants the rest of his family to move up from the back of the bus and you to move back "so they can all be together". My response was, "How about you move back and send someone up here so you can all be together back there."

My sense is that these were poachers who 1) wanted their 15 minutes of fame thanks to the other incident; 2) pushed all the buttons with a FA; and 3) managed to find a "journalist" who was willing to sell the "cute newlyweds versus mean airline" story.
Fair but I already see this article blowing up in my social media. The ones who are pushing this article though are the people who were most outraged by United last week who also in general are all novice travelers. I've found it interesting the consultants and air warriors on my social media are pretty quiet about both issues.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by Explorer789
Why didn't the couple just explain that someone else was sleeping in their seats?
Have you ever gotten on a plane during boarding and seen someone sleeping sprawled across three seats, including yours and your partner's?

I'd bet that "sleeping in our seats" was a lie they came up with for the media afterwards.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by dmo580
Which is why they don't police the policy very hard. People do occasionally jump into E+ after the doors close, and sometimes the FAs choose to be hard about it. It doesn't change the fact that a lot of travelers feel entitled that they can do whatever they please.
Originally Posted by Boiler84
Very unlikely that they "always have time." Virtually nothing in the world is so certain that one could say "it always happens." Why does it matter whether they "always have time" or not?
So clearly, the FAs aren't best equipped to "revenue manage" for the airline. Best they should be left out of it. Power corrupts. Half-assed power corrupts half-assedly.

And no, this opinion doesn't apply to poaching between actual cabins.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:25 pm

On the other hand at SFO I was flying on United to Maui and I went up to the gate agent to ask for a better seat towards the front and she assigned me a whole row of Economy Plus for no extra charge. We were talking about United operations at SFO and then I showed her my boarding pass and asked if there was better seats.

The Gate agent was so sweet and gave me the entire row of Economy Plus!!! I slept well that flight. I was willing to pay for Economy Plus if it came down to that. I did not even ask about Economy Plus the agent just said "here you go enjoy the extra legroom and your own row".

This was back in 2008.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
If this is going to turn into a CCTV camera on planes discussion, I think the majority of the flying public also does not want their movements & behavior recorded for posterity.

Maybe it is time for Cameras, but if UA was the first one that did it they would be labeled an Orwellian airline. Of course if Delta did it, everything would be Unicorns & Rainbows
So then don't record me at the grocery store or department store when all I am trying to do is shop

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.