Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Couple removed from flight to Costa Rica

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I do, however, wonder how many "strikes" there *actually* were before they were kicked off. Did they even ever end up going back to their assigned seats?
I wonder if there was alcohol involved. That would explain repeated poaching attempts after being told no. That also might explain why UA would allow them to fly on a different flight the next morning.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
Do we know they snuck into E+?
The article says they moved to row 21, which is the exit row (and E+) on all UA narrowbody aircraft.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
And then everyone would start claiming they were "getting married". Don't underestimate the ability of a large segment of Americans to attempt cheating in order to get something they aren't due.
Someone reported finding some website or Facebook page about their impending wedding.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
As someone who lives in a popular vacation destination, that statement is just about 100% false. You assumption is wrong. A small portion of the flight might fit in the categories you listed. People actually take vacations without it being tied to a life event. Residents of vacation destinations actually travel to on business or to visit relatives or to take vatations, too.
Usually there are wedding guests traveling to the destination, surely more than one couple other than the bride and groom on average for destination or cruise weddings.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 17, 2017 at 4:49 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
Do we know they snuck into E+? I haven't flown UA since I believe 2014, but I know Delta has First, Comfort+, and about 236 different varieties of "preferred" seats that are indistinguishable from "non-preferred" seats, and my first impulse was that they stumbled into a "preferred" seat. If they snuck into E+ or the exit row and didn't either pay or slink back out when challenged, they knew what they were doing.

The "didn't want to wake the seat poacher" is absurd, so I tend to disbelieve all their claims. I gather they say they gave up their ill-gotten upgrade when challenged, but I don't know if that isn't true and they got thrown off the plane due to their own obstinacy, or if a power-tripping FA made up a justification to throw them off.
The poached seats were 21B & 21C, and there is an E + label for this last exit row with extra extra leg room where you can recline.

And if they were drinking too much, that is if --- , then another reason you don't want them in the emergency exit row.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sgfood
Exactly, I'd hope the FA qualified the statement!
The announcement is usually something akin to being "free to move about the cabin" at least in implication. That same-cabin empty emergency row seats aren't included under that would be rather unexpected for most.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1P
I've never seen a self-upgrader slink back to E- without first challenging the flight attendant. Usually something along the lines of, "What difference does it make? No one's sitting here anyway!" or "I fly this airline all the time and I've always been allowed to do this!"
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:50 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by J S
I don't know who was more or less at fault here. There seem to be plenty of dubious or questionable assertions on both sides.
The only assertion I find blatantly dubious or questionable is that a 'marshall' removed them after they complied with the FA's instructions to move back to their seat.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I have heard them make that announcement and it is qualified with words to the effect of "within your ticketed cabin".
Well, the difference between E- and E+ cabins can be vague is you're on B739 that has E- seat rows between the E+ rows at the front of the economy cabin and the exit row seats. So if you're sitting in row 25 (E-), row 14 would be "within the ticketed [E-] cabin", but row 11 or row 20 wouldn't. I wouldn't expect regular E- travelers to understand that rows 14-15 and 12DEF are okay, but row 11 or 12ABC are off-limits since they're not "within the ticketed cabin".
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The announcement is usually something akin to being "free to move about the cabin" at least in implication. That same-cabin empty emergency row seats aren't included under that would be rather unexpected for most.
No. The announcement on UA is always that if a pax wants to move to seat that's designated as E+, they need to talk to the FA about paying for an upgrade.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UA1K_no_more
Well, the difference between E- and E+ cabins can be vague is you're on B739 that has E- seat rows between the E+ rows at the front of the economy cabin and the exit row seats. So if you're sitting in row 25 (E-), row 14 would be "within the ticketed [E-] cabin", but row 11 or row 20 wouldn't. I wouldn't expect regular E- travelers to understand that rows 14-15 and 12DEF are okay, but row 11 or 12ABC are off-limits since they're not "within the ticketed cabin".
Even on larger aircraft the perceived difference between E- and E+ can be limited to being the same kind of seats except for legroom. The lack of a distinction in the type of seats used and the lack of a physical divider like a wall or curtain may make the difference between E- and E+ seem akin to just there being a difference in legroom but still being the same seats in the same cabin.

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I have heard them make that announcement and it is qualified with words to the effect of "within your ticketed cabin".
This happened to me once on a UA redeye flight a few years ago from LIH to LAX. SO and I were on different PNRs and not co-seated together. The plane had quite a few empty seats available when the door closed. The FA made that announcement, the SO and I moved to two open seats together in coach and was quickly told that the seats we choose were E+ therefore we had to pay or move back at least a row.

I am not a rookie at air travel, but it was certainly not intuitive to me on this particular flight that the seats we choose at first to move to were E+ as I did not notice anything special about them or the pitch to make me think their were in a different "cabin".

But I completely get the rules, quickly complied without comment to the FA and moved to two seats next to one another a row or two back.

But for those who rarely travel or spend time on FT, I could see one's perspective of asking what the big deal is?
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kacee
No. The announcement on UA is always that if a pax wants to move to seat that's designated as E+, they need to talk to the FA about paying for an upgrade.
It's not always. We both know UA's not so operationally perfect to always be perfect in even this limited regard.

Did this seat issue for the flight to Costa Rica even come up after the plane doors were closed? Or was it before the plane doors were closed? And when was that "always" General announcement made? You do know that the removed passengers said they were the last passengers to board? If that statement about being the last passengers to board is true, then their story sounds more credible than it would otherwise be to me.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 17, 2017 at 3:09 pm
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by Kacee
If the FAs are required to call moving within the cabin an "upgrade", then management is making their jobs really hard. The only movement within the cabin they should be required to monitor is for an exit row being occupied with someone who isn't ready, willing and able to help during an emergency.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Beckles
The only assertion I find blatantly dubious or questionable is that a 'marshall' removed them after they complied with the FA's instructions to move back to their seat.
I find it puzzling too as FAM SOP is not to out themselves except for something very serious.

What other marshalls would be around the airport, or is a Marshall in Texas (old TV show?) sort of like a sheriff?

Still, to me the mystery is how UA was able to get some sort of Marshall other than a FAM to the aircraft within a few minutes of the FA telling the couple to move back to their own seats.

ADDED: Sorry, I was thinking of a Texas Ranger, not Marshall.

BTW, don't marshalls lead parades and commencement ceremony marches?

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Apr 17, 2017 at 3:25 pm
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by UA1K_no_more
I wouldn't expect regular E- travelers to understand that rows 14-15 and 12DEF are okay, but row 11 or 12ABC are off-limits since they're not "within the ticketed cabin".
Uncertainty is understandable, at least until the FA says "sorry, pay or move back".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.