Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Lost business fall-out from Flight UA3411

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lost business fall-out from Flight UA3411

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2017, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I bought my first UA ticket in a month+ this week.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM / Hilton Diamond / Bonvoy Gold / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wolf72
Cost the airline in excees of USD$1 billion dollars on the stock exchange last week.

Damage was already done.
The stock is above where it was in March, extraordinarily above where it was last year. It began to recover from the blip last week and where it is right now has more to do with their earnings announcement for Q1:17 than anything else.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:23 pm

Agree. There will be a significant impact on revenue down the road, IMO..

Originally Posted by BearX220
It's only been a week. You're not going to see airplanes empty out this quickly. Most of those bookings were made weeks or months ago.

Check the loads departing China in 90 days time.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
I've volunteered before and then been told to go ahead and board the plane and they'd come get me if they needed me. My guess is that the agent thought some people would misconnect who made it on time.
In my experience, that's almost always how it works. You don't know how many no-shows until after boarding. That's why this whole incident and the focus on "but he already boarded" seems so bizarre to me. So many of my VDB's have been after I've boarded.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
But those are people who volunteered in the first place, before boarding started, then when the airline thought they weren't needed and could go anyway, then things changed again so they do get volunteered out of their seat. Completely different situation.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
But those are people who volunteered in the first place, before boarding started, then when the airline thought they weren't needed and could go anyway, then things changed again so they do get volunteered out of their seat. Completely different situation.
I've seen it happen where there were no volunteers as well. More often in the post 2012 era, when shares was screwed up so badly. I've seen at least 3x they get towards the end of boarding and realize they are 1 over cuz someone showed up they weren't expecting. They haven't asked for any volunteers so they come on the plane and request volunteers. In each case I've seen, they found them (usually me). But I would presume at some point if they didn't, they would have to move to IDB which would basically parallel the situation we are discussing.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 5:56 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I would honestly ask regular flyers, what NEW information you have from this incident that would cause you to change your flying behavior.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 5khours
I would honestly ask regular flyers, what NEW information you have from this incident that would cause you to change your flying behavior.
This incident hasn't changed my flying behavior. Thanks to my status on UA and AA, I've never been selected for IDB (nor on any other airline, for that matter), so I don't anticipate ever being confronted by a GA on a power trip demanding I give up my seat.

I have witnessed GA's (and FA's less often) engaged in other unprofessional behavior, and report it after the fact, and will continue doing so.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by 5khours
United was already a damaged brand. The most recent NPS scores that are publically available for UA is a 10 (from Jan 2016), Delta's that same month was a 38 (they discussed on their 1Q 2016 call).

I obviously don't have UA's current NPS, but YouGov tracks similar things and found a huge fall in brand perceptions: See https://today.yougov.com/news/2017/0...perception-10/ [Adding: This article cites an ever lower YouGov number (-40) as of April 14. https://today.yougov.com/news/2017/0...erception-10/]

If this sticks and does lasting damage it will be because is sears the bad brand perception that was already in the ether into people's winds. United will be replaced in peoples minds as a slightly run down and not very pleasant experience into the bloody face of Dao.

Last edited by spin88; Apr 20, 2017 at 11:13 am Reason: adding additonal cite.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 12:37 pm

Thumbs up

Bingo.

Originally Posted by spin88
United was already a damaged brand. The most recent NPS scores that are publically available for UA is a 10 (from Jan 2016), Delta's that same month was a 38 (they discussed on their 1Q 2016 call).

I obviously don't have UA's current NPS, but YouGov tracks similar things and found a huge fall in brand perceptions: See https://today.yougov.com/news/2017/0...perception-10/ [Adding: This article cites an ever lower YouGov number (-40) as of April 14. https://today.yougov.com/news/2017/0...erception-10/]

If this sticks and does lasting damage it will be because is sears the bad brand perception that was already in the ether into people's winds. United will be replaced in peoples minds as a slightly run down and not very pleasant experience into the bloody face of Dao.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA,AC,DL,AA
My company issued the internal not to travel on UA until further notice.

Unless there is no other carrier fly to the destination.

Too bad I would need a lot more trip to maintain status maybe it is time to jump ship.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus - Premier Gold, Star Alliance Gold, World of Hyatt Explorist, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by oh101
My company issued the internal not to travel on UA until further notice.

Unless there is no other carrier fly to the destination.

Too bad I would need a lot more trip to maintain status maybe it is time to jump ship.
What was your company's justification for allowing travel on UA in the first place?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I have wonder where the people are who aren't flying United. On Monday, I was in a line to go down the escalator to the B 80& 90 gates in Denver. I can't remember a flight with an empty seat and am still hearing GAs asking for volunteers.

If DEN is ever less than packed, I'll let you know.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
I have wonder where the people are who aren't flying United. On Monday, I was in a line to go down the escalator to the B 80& 90 gates in Denver. I can't remember a flight with an empty seat and am still hearing GAs asking for volunteers.

If DEN is ever less than packed, I'll let you know.
The Monday after Easter? Of course it is packed @:-) and I bet that 99% of the people in the airport bought their tickets before April 10. @:-)

Any loss of business would only show for those buying tickets after April 10, and for leasure travelers an impact on load factors will not show up for at least a month, business travel it will take less time, but there is no way anyone will see empty planes. The issue is loosing 1-2% of revenue (which would be really, really harmful to UA) no one is suggesting revenue will drop by 10%.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by spin88
The questions was targeted at people here on FT who say they aren't going to fly UA anymore. Seriously .... what did this incident tell us about UA that we (here on FT) did not already know. Either people were exceptionally naive or they seem to just be following the mob.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.