Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Lost business fall-out from Flight UA3411

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lost business fall-out from Flight UA3411

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2017, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
I have wonder where the people are who aren't flying United. On Monday, I was in a line to go down the escalator to the B 80& 90 gates in Denver. I can't remember a flight with an empty seat and am still hearing GAs asking for volunteers.

If DEN is ever less than packed, I'll let you know.
Maybe check back in July and August?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jamesinclair
Maybe check back in July and August?
It usually slows up a bit mid-August because school starts here. But sure, I'll let you know. I was traveling as much this time last year(couple of times a week) and I have never seen it that packed.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 3:29 pm

This is anecdotal evidence, but I have seen two facebook friends actually cut back and follow through with not flying on United; one even went so far as to go to AA with no status (and complaining about it, ha). Both travel more than the average person (not 1K level, but at least silver level). Other less frequent travelers have said similar things but I can't tell if they followed through yet.

I am not sure now long this will last long-term but I feel that there will be a definite short-term impact on the bottom line.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 3:41 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
If UA hasn't seen any material difference in bookings by now, it's likely they never will. The initial irrational outrage is over, and people eventually come back into a rational state of mind for purchasing decisions. Even by the earnings call UA should have seen a difference if it's a major problem. Maybe they did, but they didn't confirm it. So the chances are fair that UA doesn't see any long-term impact from this. Have to remember that so many people "outraged" don't fly anyway. And for those that do, there always other dynamics in pay. Look at how many Delta turned off the week prior because of wrongdoing that actually happened to them. You have potential defectors going from airline to airline, and it generally evens out. If "I'll never fly that airline again" worked, there would be no NK or G4.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
My only concern really....-------- I hope this helps my upgrades clear!!!!
Old Apr 20, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus - Premier Gold, Star Alliance Gold, World of Hyatt Explorist, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by minnyfly
If UA hasn't seen any material difference in bookings by now, it's likely they never will. The initial irrational outrage is over, and people eventually come back into a rational state of mind for purchasing decisions. Even by the earnings call UA should have seen a difference if it's a major problem. Maybe they did, but they didn't confirm it. So the chances are fair that UA doesn't see any long-term impact from this. Have to remember that so many people "outraged" don't fly anyway. And for those that do, there always other dynamics in pay. Look at how many Delta turned off the week prior because of wrongdoing that actually happened to them. You have potential defectors going from airline to airline, and it generally evens out. If "I'll never fly that airline again" worked, there would be no NK or G4.
Vast majority of people fly sparingly. My wife and son fly once a year on our annual vacation. I know people who haven't boarded a plane in years. When its time to make that reservation a year or more from today, most people will have forgotten about this incident and instead will opt to go for:

1. Price
2. Convenience (direct vs. 1/2 connections)

It's basic human nature.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:53 am

I hear it won't affect load factors, but 1-2% of revenue. Well, I keep pricing multiple routes, and am not seeing a 1-2% price decrease. My very anecdotal data (I do have lots of flights tracked on google flights) says pricing is unfortunately holding. Please people book away as I need to purchase many flights and I'd like some better pricing!
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
I hear it won't affect load factors, but 1-2% of revenue. Well, I keep pricing multiple routes, and am not seeing a 1-2% price decrease. My very anecdotal data (I do have lots of flights tracked on google flights) says pricing is unfortunately holding. Please people book away as I need to purchase many flights and I'd like some better pricing!
It's likely not that United will cut fares 1-2%, but that they will lose 1-2% of revenue from those who would have chosen United but instead choose another airlines.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Kimpton Inner Circle, Marriott Platinum; Hilton Diamond
I'm a 1K but have not seen as many upgrades this year until last week. They were pulling people out of coach to move up to Bus Class seats on my flights from BDL to ORD and ORD to DEN. Then this week 3 out 4 flights I got notified of my Elite Upgrade. That hasn't happened in some time. Maybe it's the time of the year but I think it is in reaction to what everyone is hearing about UA.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriot Platinum
OP's original question: We actually are encouraging people to fly UA. I've seen similar scenes played out on several different airlines. The only difference is that all the previous encounters involved adults. UA just got unlucky having to deal with a 69yo male masquerading as a 6 year old. All airlines have similar policies that are enforced variably from time to time. I just wish UA's stock would have dropped a bit lower providing a GREAT buying opportunity for an undervalued stock.

I think its hilarious that some "feel" (no facts just their emotion) UA is so different from all other airlines. Guess what folks. They are not. The better question would be if your company was recommending train or car travel instead of airline travel...
Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by northernlights1
OP's original question: We actually are encouraging people to fly UA. I've seen similar scenes played out on several different airlines. The only difference is that all the previous encounters involved adults. UA just got unlucky having to deal with a 69yo male masquerading as a 6 year old. All airlines have similar policies that are enforced variably from time to time. I just wish UA's stock would have dropped a bit lower providing a GREAT buying opportunity for an undervalued stock.

I think its hilarious that some "feel" (no facts just their emotion) UA is so different from all other airlines. Guess what folks. They are not. The better question would be if your company was recommending train or car travel instead of airline travel...
I've worked in a toxic environment before. It wasn't a requirement to fly UA, but my supervisor was just as mean as the typical UA flight attendants, so very similar. Worst job ever.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
There are still people who book away from UA for the SFH some 17 years ago.

There is an impact to UA3411. Is it material? Probably not. But it's enough to warrant several attempts at a proper CEO response.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:21 pm

Maybe bookings will go up since the AA strollergate, or Delta new york meltdown.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:47 pm

Programs: SPG
I fly private a lot, so I don't have much United status (just gold) and decided to try something else after this incident. I canceled my upcoming trips on United in favor of Virgin and JetBlue. I enjoyed my experience more than I had with United and will continue flying with both of those airlines. I don't fly enough with commercial airlines to really get beneficial status, and I get Silver on United with SPG Platinum anyway.

Edit: Should probably mention that I don't care how my team flies and certainly don't offer an opinion on with what airline they should fly, but I believe they have been following my example and choosing non-United flights as well.

Last edited by Eupatoria; Apr 24, 2017 at 5:19 pm
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:22 pm

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by oh101
My company issued the internal not to travel on UA until further notice.

Unless there is no other carrier fly to the destination.

Too bad I would need a lot more trip to maintain status maybe it is time to jump ship.
I am actually surprised a company would issue an internal memo requesting a choice of an airline, unless the company is very small and privately owned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.