Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Weekend repaving of SFO Rwy 28L causing UA delays?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 8, 2017, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: GoSh4rks
28L-10R Runway Overlay

Runway Closures Associated with SFO Runway Construction Begin April 7

Friday, May 12th at 11:59pm PDT through Sunday, May 14th at 12:00noon PDT
Friday, May 19th at 11:00pm PDT through Monday, May 22nd at 8:00am PDT
Friday, May 26th at 6:00pm PDT through Monday, May 29th at 12:00noon PDT
Friday, June 2nd at 6:00pm PDT through Monday, June 5th at 12:00noon PDT

https://www.flysfo.com/media/press-releases/sfo-consolidates-schedule-runway-28l-rehabilitation-reducing-number-weekend
Print Wikipost

Weekend repaving of SFO Rwy 28L causing UA delays?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by chuck1
Would a bad storm ever make everyone, arrivals and departures, use 10L? I know sometimes it can happen 1L/R or 19L/R for all.
Yes, but it's pretty unusual to get strong winds blowing from 100. Anything that is causing strong enough winds to shut down one pair of runways is already an IRROPS event, 28L shutdown or no.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:24 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I was over an hour late today on UA 685, SFO-YVR. Three quarters of the delay was due to late arriving aircraft, and the rest was maintenance working to fix the captain's seat belt.
Flight was originally scheduled to depart at 10:40 a.m on Monday, which is about the worst bank for these delays because the full weekday schedule of arrivals gets backed up until noon.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by transportprof
I'm at SFO now, and have been bitten by this repaving program. My flight is currently posted as 27 minutes late due to late arriving inbound aircraft. I bet it will roll into a longer delay.

As an aside, the Centurion Lounge is overflowing, with no extra guests (just Plat cardmembers) being allowed in this morning. I'm guessing because people are staying longer waiting for their delayed flights. That's certainly what I'm doing.
Although I flew VX into SFO yesterday, I was also hit with delays. Good news, they were not rolling.

My first time in the Centurion Lounge and it was also crowded. Upon entry I was reminded that I could bring up to two guests in the future, so I guess it wasn't at capacity. I happened upon an empty table in the restaurant upon arrival so it worked out. Nice layover over all.

I'm guessing the delays but also spring break crowds are having an effect.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:41 pm

I guess this explains the reduced schedule in April and May, for example SAN-SFO. As soon as the scheduled runway work is done the flights pick back up. I wonder how many other routes are seeing a temporary reduction right now.

I am not looking forward to flying in and out of SFO this weekend - especially with more rain moving in.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:47 pm

Location: MSP, WLG, or the forward most A seat in Y I can get
Programs: UA Plat (and all the derivatives on cars and hotels that implies)
Originally Posted by findark
Yes, but it's pretty unusual to get strong winds blowing from 100. Anything that is causing strong enough winds to shut down one pair of runways is already an IRROPS event, 28L shutdown or no.
Literally one of my Christmas presents last year was landing on 10L. Pilot said he'd landed at SFO 500+ times and never done it.
20161225_203059

Last edited by evanroberts; Apr 3, 2017 at 10:53 pm
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by evanroberts
Literally one of my Christmas presents last year was landing on 10L. Pilot said he'd landed at SFO 500+ times and never done it.
Neat! The 10s get used decently often for departures in weather, but usually the wind is such that they can also use 19 for arrivals. That's a strange wind vector to force everything onto 10 R/L.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: AC SE
Does anyone know if there are runway closures for this coming weekend (April 7-9)?

The link posted earlier shows closures for this coming weekend.

The info on the SFO website does not show closures this weekend, and has the next closure listed as April 24.

Any insight on which is correct?
Old Apr 4, 2017, 9:43 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
I'd be inclined to go with the SFO Website dates. However, rain is expected in the Bay Area this Friday and Saturday, so even if repaving were scheduled, it would likely be postponed. Added however: rain will also delay flight arrivals, esp. for flights scheduled to arrive after 9 to 10 a.m.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by gcashin
Does anyone know if there are runway closures for this coming weekend (April 7-9)?

The link posted earlier shows closures for this coming weekend.

The info on the SFO website does not show closures this weekend, and has the next closure listed as April 24.

Any insight on which is correct?
The link up-thread is from a press release dated Feb. 14th, so presumably (and hopefully) the SFO website is more current.

Next closure listed is April 21-24.

So, last Saturday AM, blissfully unaware, boarding UA937 IAH-SFO sked departure 9:00, lots of people on board when the first delay came through for 9:35 at about 8:30 on SMS and the app, but no announcement from crew until almost 9:00. Good weather, Saturday, what? Later got a wheels-up of 11:00, eventually reduced to about 10:25, but of course once we got close to SFO, were vectored.

All in, about 45 minutes late, consider it a win. The happiest guy on the flight was going on to CTU, same aircraft...I was just hoping that BART was operating without issues (as opposed to Monday on the way out when transbay service was shut down due to downed power lines on the tracks).

On Sunday, I saw that the posted FAA "average" delay was 2+ hours.

Yuck.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
I'd be inclined to go with the SFO Website dates. However, rain is expected in the Bay Area this Friday and Saturday, so even if repaving were scheduled, it would likely be postponed. Added however: rain will also delay flight arrivals, esp. for flights scheduled to arrive after 9 to 10 a.m.
I'm guessing they may have updated the schedule to account for the late storm coming through next weekend.

You might as well plan for 28L to be closed this weekend as the WX will make up for it accepting traffic
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
SFO is a mess

2 of the last 3 flights have resulted in delays of 2:30 and so far 6:40 today (on a flight from pdx to sba via sfo). So far today I've had 2 sba flights just plain cancelled. UA told me the express flights are being decimated and are the first to cancel. Root cause is weather and single rwy ops due to construction. Just incredibly frustrated at the total lack of any kind of service. SFO is off the menu for me until all the construction Has finished.... whenever that may be.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by timfountain
2 of the last 3 flights have resulted in delays of 2:30 and so far 6:40 today (on a flight from pdx to sba via sfo). So far today I've had 2 sba flights just plain cancelled. UA told me the express flights are being decimated and are the first to cancel. Root cause is weather and single rwy ops due to construction. Just incredibly frustrated at the total lack of any kind of service. SFO is off the menu for me until all the construction Has finished.... whenever that may be.
I feel your pain. Yesterday was supposed to fly SANSFOSTL; SANSFO took a 4 hr delay which caused a miscnx. Ended up flying SANEWR, overnighting at a hotel, then taking an am EWRSTL. Original option was the agent saying "just fly to SFO, your cnx might wait or be delayed"...um no not taking that chance and getting stuck. Had to push the EWR option and HUCA because the first agent kept refusing to let me take the last F seat because I was booked in P class and told me she would have to charge me extra.

Heres my beef...the airport has posted the dates and times of scheduled work which will ultimately cause delays and or xls. I would think UA would proactively adjust their schedule...they did after the Asiana accident shut a runway down so why not do it now and avoid the potential for multiple days of pissed off passengers and displaced crews?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:46 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
7 more weekends to go. Alaska rerouted some flights to OAK yesterday. I saw one post where they sent out a text message 7 hours ahead, so passengers had plenty of time to get over there. They also ran a shuttle bus from SFO.

Does UA have any operations at OAK these days?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Are these construction related delays only take place on weekend or are they impacted everyday for the next 7 weeks?

I will think about not connecting via SFO if this gets worse!
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by qukslvr619
I feel your pain. Yesterday was supposed to fly SANSFOSTL; SANSFO took a 4 hr delay which caused a miscnx. Ended up flying SANEWR, overnighting at a hotel, then taking an am EWRSTL. Original option was the agent saying "just fly to SFO, your cnx might wait or be delayed"...um no not taking that chance and getting stuck. Had to push the EWR option and HUCA because the first agent kept refusing to let me take the last F seat because I was booked in P class and told me she would have to charge me extra.

Heres my beef...the airport has posted the dates and times of scheduled work which will ultimately cause delays and or xls. I would think UA would proactively adjust their schedule...they did after the Asiana accident shut a runway down so why not do it now and avoid the potential for multiple days of pissed off passengers and displaced crews?
THIS is what bothers me about the new UA post 2012. SMIJ took such a hostile attitude towards customers and being flexible. I totally understand WX, I even understand MX. I understand packed planes. What I don't understand is the lack of flexibility or the fact that you have to fight to get on a flight you want.

In my view, if a misconnect happens, they should let you go on any flight you want, regardless of connecting city or even airline. If they did that, I would be happy as a clam, and continue to fork out my $40k/yr for GS. I've slowed my UA travel a bit this year and will probably end around $35k so I'll lose GS, but it's the fact that you have to HUCA and fight to get on alternate flights that drives me nuts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.