Wiki Posts
Search

An intra Asia routing question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:32 am
Original Poster

An intra Asia routing question

hi, guys:
I wanted to fly NRT-SIN-HKG-BKK on NH/UA/TG all in F. Do you guys know any SA program can still issue such award on one ticket without huge YQ?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:40 am

UA can issue that as an award and doesn't charge YQ. But the difficulty will be finding F award availability for your schedule and itinerary.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by afrozenfyre
UA can issue that as an award and doesn't charge YQ. But the difficulty will be finding F award availability for your schedule and itinerary.
My understanding is by the recent change of excursion perk, i can no longer do things like this? unless UA system gives me such choice, which is impossible?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by longmanzz
My understanding is by the recent change of excursion perk, i can no longer do things like this? unless UA system gives me such choice, which is impossible?
See if you can find SQ award space on the NRT-SIN / SIN-HKG route. If you can, you have to call it in since SQ cannot be booked online and there is a chance the agent will let you piece it together since it won't come up in a normal search for them either.

Otherwise, the chance of that being offered on the website is slim, I'd say.

Last edited by pushmyredbutton; Mar 30, 2017 at 1:04 pm
Old Mar 30, 2017, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

So are you saying the trick is to have an SQ leg because it is not to be booked online? SIN-HKG F or J is wide open, so that would be be a problem. Any other tricks required here?

Does UA allow SQ first class even over the phone? I obviously preferred it over UA first even in polaris, just thought it was only available on SQ miles

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
See if you can find SQ award space on the NRT-SIN / SIN-HKG route. If you can, you have to call it in since SQ cannot be booked online and there is a chance the agent will let you piece it together since it won't come up in a normal search for them either.

Otherwise, the chance of that being offered on the website is slim, I'd say.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
So are you saying the trick is to have an SQ leg because it is not to be booked online? SIN-HKG F or J is wide open, so that would be be a problem. Any other tricks required here?

Does UA allow SQ first class even over the phone? I obviously preferred it over UA first even in polaris, just thought it was only available on SQ miles
When you write that SQ J and F is "wide open", what do you mean by that? Revenue and award availability are quite different, as is award availability on *A partners versus SQ Krisflyer. I find the best mirror for SQ availability on UA that can be searched online is Aeroplan, but even that is not 100% accurate
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:00 pm

You'd have to first check for award availability. SQ is notoriously stingy with premium space, except intra-asia routes, but I think the A380 and some 77W's may also be blocked.

If you do find space, then yes, you can book it over the phone, and you may find an agent who will piece it together as one award (what you are doing is not entirely crazy, especially if you want to stick with SQ)
Old Mar 31, 2017, 12:22 am
Original Poster

so is this to say UA is the only program in *A that might be able to do it?
Old Mar 31, 2017, 12:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
SQ is notoriously stingy with premium space, except intra-asia routes, but I think the A380 and some 77W's may also be blocked.
Actually, SQ KF is one of the best programs for redeeming premium award space.

The limitation is they generally do not release premium space on the 380 and 77W to *A partners.

I think it quite unlikely OP will be able to book this itinerary unless it shows up online. Which is obviously a major change from the prior system (and exactly why UA initiated this change . . . 4 segments in *A F for 60,000 miles is obviously a very poor deal for UA).
Old Mar 31, 2017, 2:03 am

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
I heard SQ legs price separately no matter what
Old Mar 31, 2017, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by aero0729
I heard SQ legs price separately no matter what
I've had some agents do it for me. Others wouldn't even entertain the idea. Totally a HUCA scenario if the routing isn't abusive.

My argument has always been "if it would've shown online, I could've booked based on a similar routing..."
Old Mar 31, 2017, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

I've had some agents do it for me. Others wouldn't even entertain the idea. Totally a HUCA scenario if the routing isn't abusive.

My argument has always been "if it would've shown online, I could've booked based on a similar routing..."
The other problem with SQ is the routing rule.
If I change my routing from NRT-SIN-BKK-HKG (SIN-BKK in TG/SQ J), which is a more logic routing, do you think the agents might allow such routing and price at NA1 to NA2?
Old Mar 31, 2017, 1:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Does UA allow SQ first class even over the phone?
I do not believe that SQ makes F award space available to partners as a general rule. Even biz is rarely available on most aircraft configurations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.