Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why no United Lounge access with UA domestic first class tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 19, 2022, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The short answer is no and that is the general practice across the domestic carriers. There are few exceptions.
While there are some who have access due to UC membership or status, for other access it is only if
Premium cabin passengers for "transcontinental business class " (SFO/LAX<> EWR/JFK) or "United Business class within the U.S." (SFO<> BOS)
or Active duty U.S. military personnel under certain circumstances
For more on the "exceptions" see Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
So why not all domestic F passengers, besides it is not the practice? Essentially there is not enough lounge space and it would be too expensive to build enough space.
Additionally, average domestic fare is too low to fund the space needed.

Why can non-domestic carriers do this in their domestic zone? The amount of in country travel / first class is very small in comparison to the USA (in most cases) plus their train competition offers lounge access.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Why is it that if you are flying 1st class domestic...one is not allowed access to the lounge? I called UA, and was directed to buy a membership
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Ifti Khan
Why is it that if you are flying 1st class domestic...one is not allowed access to the lounge? I called UA, and was directed to buy a membership
it's pretty simple: it's not a benefit of a premium domestic fares. United (and other US carriers) don't seem to think they need to offer it. My guess is it provides a huge revenue stream to them in the form of lounge memberships. The agent was correct - if your ticket doesn't include lounge access - you can buy a membership or a one-time pass for the trips you want it on.

I presume your question comes up in off since this is not the way most carriers in other countries handle this - they allow access on domestic premium tickets. However, he US air travel market is different from most others in that there is a lot more domestic traffic compared to international - allowing domestic premium cabin (and presumably, UA premier members) would require a huge amount more to be invested in lounges - they'd probably need double or more the space. It's a huge cost they don't think they need to add (if it's even feasible to find space on their hubs/key airports). On the flip side, there are different benefits that UA offers that most foreign carriers don't - free (space-available) upgrades on domestic flights (lets not get into the 'but they really don't anymore' - depending on routes/times, yes, many premiers get them) as well as RPUs/GPUs and discount F fares/buy up. You don't find those everywhere. You want to get into premium cabin on carriers like EK, SQ, CX, etc., you need to buy into the cabin at purchase.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by emcampbe
it's pretty simple: it's not a benefit of a premium domestic fares. United (and other US carriers) don't seem to think they need to offer it. My guess is it provides a huge revenue stream to them in the form of lounge memberships. The agent was correct - if your ticket doesn't include lounge access - you can buy a membership or a one-time pass for the trips you want it on.

I presume your question comes up in off since this is not the way most carriers in other countries handle this - they allow access on domestic premium tickets. However, he US air travel market is different from most others in that there is a lot more domestic traffic compared to international - allowing domestic premium cabin (and presumably, UA premier members) would require a huge amount more to be invested in lounges - they'd probably need double or more the space. It's a huge cost they don't think they need to add (if it's even feasible to find space on their hubs/key airports). On the flip side, there are different benefits that UA offers that most foreign carriers don't - free (space-available) upgrades on domestic flights (lets not get into the 'but they really don't anymore' - depending on routes/times, yes, many premiers get them) as well as RPUs/GPUs and discount F fares/buy up. You don't find those everywhere. You want to get into premium cabin on carriers like EK, SQ, CX, etc., you need to buy into the cabin at purchase.
Not to mention that first class seats on US carriers are actually roomier, more comfortable seats, rather than regular economy seats with "business service" like they are in Europe.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no "why" other than to say "because".

Perhaps the more precise answer is that the people who purchase domestic F tickets in the US do not wish to have lounge services bundled in the price of their ticket as they do elsewhere in the world. Thus, it is sold as an add-on service.

The same can be said to the "why" question for pretty much all services in all classes. Nothing is free, it is simply a question whether the cost is bundled into the ticket or charged for separately.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
These lounges are already packed. Imagine if all domestic F has access. I wonder what the breakdown is in terms of how people get access. Between *A Gold, 1 Time Pass, Full Membership (via UA or Chase CC).
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:37 pm

It would be impossible to have enough real estate to fit all domestic first pax into United Clubs. US airline networks are just that much bigger than say, European airlines to allow this kind of access.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
OP - if you're looking for lounge access with a paid First Class ticket, fly Alaska. AFAIK, their lounges are comparable to UA/AA/DL, perhaps with fewer F&B options.

I do think/wish that domestic UA F connecting to/from international F/J (not just UA but *A too) should get access, but that's a whole different matter...
Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I'll take the US Carriers approach to domestic business class (2x2 wide seats w/more legroom w/no lounge access) over the Euro approach (Y seats with an empty middle w/lounge access) any day.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by Tennen
OP - if you're looking for lounge access with a paid First Class ticket, fly Alaska. AFAIK, their lounges are comparable to UA/AA/DL, perhaps with fewer F&B options.

I do think/wish that domestic UA F connecting to/from international F/J (not just UA but *A too) should get access, but that's a whole different matter...
completely forgot about this. i like the AS LAX lounge. decent soup and a good tap selection.

however, the UC at LAX has an amazing beer selection.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 3:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
OP's question was about lounge access on a purely domestic itinerary when booked into F cabin.

For general UC access discussion in other circumstances, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ns-thread.html -- a number of posts have been moved there. There is a detailed wiki in that thread.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Mar 28, 2017, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer
It would be impossible to have enough real estate to fit all domestic first pax into United Clubs. US airline networks are just that much bigger than say, European airlines to allow this kind of access.
I don't think that it's the size of the network that necessarily is the reason there as much as it's the sheer number of people with some kind of status. It certainly feels to me like airline status is something far more easily obtainable in the U.S. than it is in Europe. There's usually a lot less marketing around FF programs and fewer tie-ins with credit cards or other loyalty programs on the 'Old World' side of the pond.

I don't have the exact stats but you can line up for a UA flight and boarding groups 1 & 2 seem to be more than half the plane. If you do that in Europe, it's more like 10% of the plane (maybe a bit more on some very business-heavy routes, less on primarily leisure routes).
Old Mar 28, 2017, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
I don't think that it's the size of the network that necessarily is the reason there as much as it's the sheer number of people with some kind of status. It certainly feels to me like airline status is something far more easily obtainable in the U.S. than it is in Europe. There's usually a lot less marketing around FF programs and fewer tie-ins with credit cards or other loyalty programs on the 'Old World' side of the pond.

I don't have the exact stats but you can line up for a UA flight and boarding groups 1 & 2 seem to be more than half the plane. If you do that in Europe, it's more like 10% of the plane (maybe a bit more on some very business-heavy routes, less on primarily leisure routes).
not sure what your point is. Status does not get one access, except *G which gets access in association with int'l flights.

The sheer number of F seats is the problem. UA also sells memberships that a lot of flyers have. Add credit card passes and there's no room for domestic F.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 4:43 pm

Don't feel bad you're not missing out on much...
Old Mar 28, 2017, 4:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Neither UA, nor, DL, nor AA offer lounge access because it is quite apparent that the carriers' F customers don't want it bundled into the fare.

The same people who ask about lounges for F, also ask why UA can serve two meals in Y on IAD-LHR, but nothing IAD-SFO. The answer is that UA could serve three meals on the latter, but customers don't demand it and the competition is on price and price means no meals.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by Tennen

True observation -- but paid F in Alaska only gets you access to its own lounges (SEA, PDX, LAX, and I think also one in SFO) -- as AS only has a few lounges. Be interesting to see what AS does with the Virgin America lounges at the other airports where AS does not have a lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.