Wiki Posts
Search

Had my first threesome thanks to United

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM
Had my first threesome thanks to United

I am cheap. I never buy anything other than economy class seats when I fly. Thanks to my 1K status, I am able to get economy plus for free for myself and my family (when they fly with me). Even out of EWR, I get upgraded fairly often. When I don't, no issues. Seats 21C and 21D are my constant companions.

That said, I make use of my 6 GPUs very wisely. I always check the aircraft, availability and guess my chances of clearing the upgrade. With that background:

On my most recent trip EWR-GRU-EWR, while booking, I noticed EWR-GRU direct had that dreaded 2-4-2 J configuration. I looked at the available seats and most of them were in the center 4. I instead booked myself EWR-IAD-GRU on the way which had a 2-1-2 configuration. GPU cleared a few days ahead of my departure and I was happy.

I totally forgot I had booked UA148 GRU-EWR direct as I had an event to attend on Saturday late morning. I also forgot about the configuration of the plane as I had the entire row 26DEF to myself. Nevertheless, I was thrilled when while boarding, the gate agent said "It's your lucky day - you get the last business class seat". 9D.

With a wide grin and happy thoughts, I boarded the plane. My euphoria turned into dread as I realized I was in the center of the center section - backwards facing seat no less. My brain screamed "THIS is what you get for giving up an entire row of economy plus?". The gentleman in the aisle seat next to me (let's call him Mr. AS for Aisle seat) was polite and largely ignored me. I sniffed - some out of self-pity and some to check this gentleman's hygiene. He passed the hygiene check with flying colors. I failed my self-pity test and continued sniffing/sniffling. I rubbed elbows, literally, with Mr. AS as the seat was so narrow. The middle seat next to me (MS) remained empty till about 10 mins before the door closing - then in walked the handsome MS owner. He was as shocked as I was with the configuration but he apparently was just happy to make the plane from Cuba. I rubbed elbows again, this time with Mr. MS.

As we all settled in for the night with beds completely flat, I sighed hoping it was going to be OK. Within 15 mins, my knees bumped into something and I woke up with a start to find that I was now rubbing knees with Mr. MS - I was sleeping on my left side and he on his right, resulting in this cosy knees encounter. We both turned the other way, rather embarrassed. I fell asleep and woke up 30 mins later with a hard bump to my knees again - apparently Mr. AS decided to switch from right side to left side resulting in bumping into me. He apologized and turned the other way. I tried to sleep on my back, but could not as I am a left side sleeper. I spent the night getting alternately cosy with Mr. MS and Mr. AS and at the first ding foretelling the breakfast service, I was up - sitting up straight.

The last thing going through my mind as I disembarked was that threesomes were totally overrated.

Last edited by pindi; Mar 12, 2019 at 3:33 pm
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by pindi

The last thing going through my mind as I disembarked was that threesomes are totally overrated.
The seats are sold as "lie flat" - no mention of "lie separate" !

Glad UA doesn't sell cars - they would probably only install 3 tires. Enough to keep the car off the ground - but not enough to use the car for its intended use!
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
entertaining read. I hate the PMUA 772 myself and I only book them when there is no other alternative and I have no way to get into F and only if I can get a seat on '2' side
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Yeah its tough in those seats. The foot hole doesnt line up with the seat so if you are a side sleeper, you are pretty much forced to sleep on a specific side.

One time flying PHL-SFO-SYD, sfo got fogged so I was going to mis-connect, they put on on PHL-LAX on (US) and LAX-SYD. They managed to somehow get me the last seat but it was also a middle. That was my first time in the middle, and I actually wrote in to complain about how much worse it is and they gave me an ECT. (Well, I also complained about the delay and getting stuck in E on US)
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Thanks for a good laugh, pindi, to start my day.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
What's your beef with the backward facing seats?

I like them. With the IPTE seats being very close to horizontal with the ground (much closer than the LFBF), facing backward causes my head to be slightly above my feet due to the plane's nose-up attitude.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by mduell
What's your beef with the backward facing seats?

I like them. With the IPTE seats being very close to horizontal with the ground (much closer than the LFBF), facing backward causes my head to be slightly above my feet due to the plane's nose-up attitude.
My beef? Among other things, being hit by magazine projectiles that fly out from behind you - not just yours but from your neighbours as well - those pesky Sky Mall, Hemispheres etc that are squeezed into the tiny slot don't quite stay put at the take off angles....
Old Mar 26, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Your headline caught my attention so had to read it!

I too dislike those middle seats although rear or front facing does not concern me. One trip when I was on a paid, last minute, flight got the dreaded seat. Went to sleep and woke up startled when Mr MS (next to me) whacked me in the face. In fairness he was asleep (well he appeared to be asleep). Rolled over, went back to sleep and got thumped on the back by Mr MS. He still appeared to be asleep. So went back to sleep and got awoken a third time by another face slap. Decided sleep was not going to be my thing on the trip so sat my seat up and watched a movie. Mr MS then sent his hand/arm flying again straight into my upright seat that awoke him from his deep slumber. He looked daggers at me and my seat, and I just kept watching my movie. He did this a couple more times before he too gave up on sleep (at which time l then reclined ny seat and closed my eyes). Since then try and avoid the 4 seat arrangement unless it is the morning flight from LHR as I do not sleep on those flights so not as conerned.

On a different flight had arranged for my cousin to fly in business using a GPU and got her the aisle on the 4 across (no other aisles available). She was settled in her seat when a German "gentleman" boarded the plane moved her bags from above where she was sitting (into the next bin along), and told her he wanted her seat. She had stood up to let him into his seat (and did not say anything about her bag being moved as she could still reach it). She informed him it was her seat. He told her he wanted it and expected her to move into his middle seat. By this time the boarding was held up so the FA came to check the hold up. The German gentleman informed the FA he wanted the aisle seat and was sure she understood it would be much easier if my cousin just moved into the middle seat. FA asked to see his BP and told him to sit in his middle seat. Mr MS then sits down in his seat and informs my cousin it would have been easier and leas problems if she has just done what he had told her to do.

So next time perhaps tell Mr AS you want their seat and tell them to do as you tell them. :-)

Thank you for your amusing headline to your story.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
Thanks for a good laugh, pindi, to start my day.
+1
Old Mar 26, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
While I can sympathize with the OP's plight, bumping knees in C is still better than an aching back and neck in Y.

My most memorable threesome (seat) experience was on the old recliner configuration pmUA 777. Got bumped up to the last row of biz in the middle seat. Sat next to a very attractive pharma rep and ended up talking/flirting with her for the whole flight. Sadly our brief affair ended after landing.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: United Global Services 3MM, Marriott Ambassador, AMEX Platinum, Global Entry/NEXUS
9D on 772 is the absolute worst seat you can possibly get in J. I won this illustrious lottery ticket last night when my flight DTW-EWR-MUC got scrubbed and I ended up going DTW-ORD-MUC... last seat available when GS made the change for me. Nothing better than middle of the crowd, facing backwards, and literally zero room.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Great read and thanks for the chuckle. I am a frequent GRU flyer and will often only look for the GF planes to avoid the god-awful 2-4-2. I am always willing to pay more for sanity and a better sleep.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 10:57 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM & 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pindi
My beef? Among other things, being hit by magazine projectiles that fly out from behind you - not just yours but from your neighbours as well - those pesky Sky Mall, Hemispheres etc that are squeezed into the tiny slot don't quite stay put at the take off angles....
Gotta make sure the little spinny thing is in the right position to keep them from flying out. They're supposed to sort of ratchet into place but they're usually pretty worn and more or less spin freely.

I generally greatly prefer the rear facing seats due to the slight nose up attitude of the aircraft during level flight.

And if you ever need to do the brace position, its much simpler, pretty much just sit upright. Not really an actual consideration in seat choice, but a plus none the less.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1K
You could have self-downgraded to ghetto lie flat in economy -- that sounds like it might have been a better deal than the cuddle party in the middle J seats.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 11:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mherdeg
You could have self-downgraded to ghetto lie flat in economy -- that sounds like it might have been a better deal than the cuddle party in the middle J seats.
I did the ghetto lie flat last December IAD-LHR. IPTE middle is still better than that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.