Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Had my first threesome thanks to United

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by pindi
My beef? Among other things, being hit by magazine projectiles that fly out from behind you
Forward facing seats have the exact same problem - it's just that one is on takeoff and one is on landing.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta PM
I read this thread and then logged in and changed our summer flight to 2 sets of Aisle/Window instead of the 4 middle seats, even though there are 4 of us traveling together.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:28 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Reminds me of this from "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" (1987)

Neal Page: Where's your other hand?

Del Griffith: Between two pillows.

Neal Page: Those aren't pillows!

^
Old Mar 27, 2017, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
I always choose the back-facing seats. The front-facing lieflats leave your head slightly below your feet when the plane is "level" (i.e. nose slightly up). I much prefer the head slightly above feet of the rear-facing seats.

Also, as a former frequent GPU user, I've done many many hours in the middle two of the 2-4-2 and can't say I've ever had physical contact with other passengers... maybe you're doing it wrong?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by raehl311
I always choose the back-facing seats. The front-facing lieflats leave your head slightly below your feet when the plane is "level" (i.e. nose slightly up). I much prefer the head slightly above feet of the rear-facing seats.

Also, as a former frequent GPU user, I've done many many hours in the middle two of the 2-4-2 and can't say I've ever had physical contact with other passengers... maybe you're doing it wrong?
I too like the aft-facing seats and find the IPTE seat pretty comfortable. I also like the middle section sometimes.

As far as proximity to, and contact with, other pax, it doesn't bother me in the slightest-"It's no big deal."

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 28, 2017 at 10:52 am Reason: OT content removed
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
A few years ago while traveling to Rio on FF tickets we had paid for economy plus bulkhead seats(2-4-2). We were sitting there and some person came along and said I need those seats for me and my little girl. My reply was sure you can have them if you give me 500 cash/seat-no checks accepted. She complained to the FA which of course got her nowhere. Called me an a**.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by raehl311
As do I: rear facing seats have a better axis for sleeping, or not as the case often is with this configuration. As a former 1K who frequented the coffins on the
IAD -> DXB/KWI, I am hopeful that the Polaris configuration will improve the experience significantly. Given that these flights often went out full in F/J and empty in Y, I was half tempted to take an aisle of E+ myself
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
The German gentleman informed the FA he wanted the aisle seat and was sure she understood it would be much easier if my cousin just moved into the middle seat. FA asked to see his BP and told him to sit in his middle seat. Mr MS then sits down in his seat and informs my cousin it would have been easier and leas problems if she has just done what he had told her to do.

So next time perhaps tell Mr AS you want their seat and tell them to do as you tell them. :-)
This matter-of-fact rudeness and sense of entitlement makes my blood boil. It's a resentment left over from past episodes when I was asked/told to do things because I was woman, or young, or didn't appear to deserve what was rightfully mine. I'm glad your cousin defended her seat.

I was in the middle on a 2-4-2 recently. It seemed spacious enough, and there are wells around the head areas. Wouldn't a sleeping fellow passenger have to reach pretty far to whack someone else in the face or knees?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
FT put this on their front page but changed the title to "Thanks to UA, I Slept Between This Couple". Should they just take over someone's thread and change it like that?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Hmm. Are there really those that prefer UA's 2-4-2 over PMCO's 2-2-2 regardless of smaller footwells or slightly shorter bed?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 28, 2017 at 2:55 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the posters
Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM
Guys,
My intent was not to trash PMUA - while I'm a CO to UA customer, I have no complaints with UA in general. Even as an EWR captive, UA works best for me.

This post was meant to be a facetious take on my experience - no more, no less. Please read it in that spirit.
Thanks!
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:51 pm

OP, don't you know UA's 2-4-2 configuration provides an unparalleled family flying experience? Last summer (pre-Polaris) I had these seats with my wife and kids. My wife took aisle 1, I took aisle 2, and our then 4-and-7-year-olds took the middles. We had ample space and found it blissfully roomy and quiet (thanks Bose!), except when the 4 year old decided sleeping at a 90 degree angle to her seat was more comfortable than sleeping length-wise, and managed to stick her feet in her brother's face. They squawked it out (or at least it looked like they did; again thanks Bose!). All the while, we were able to keep them contained in our row by extending our footrests and blocking their escape. Can you imagine the chaos if they'd had a direct route to the aisle, and unrestricted access to the snack basket in the galley?

I will say that when reserving those seats, I had a choice between the four we took in the middle and 8A-B/9A-B. While I toyed with getting each of the kids their own window, I took pity on whomever we'd end up bumping into middle-middle. It also let us avoid the inevitable scene with some hopped-up-on-Ambien 1K going all DYKWIA about his GPU finally clearing, and trying to evict the little people from the good seats as a result.

I'm just sad it was pre-Polaris, and that the kids didn't geat stuffed bears.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by pindi
Guys,
My intent was not to trash PMUA - while I'm a CO to UA customer, I have no complaints with UA in general. Even as an EWR captive, UA works best for me.

This post was meant to be a facetious take on my experience - no more, no less. Please read it in that spirit.
Thanks!
I took it the way it was meant...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 28, 2017 at 2:54 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the posters
Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by hughw
Hmm. Are there really those that prefer UA's 2-4-2 over PMCO's 2-2-2 regardless of smaller footwells or slightly shorter bed?
Yes, I'm 6'2" and a back sleeper. I can't do that in any of the LFBF seats, especially the shorter variants on the 757 and 767 fleets. They are not ideal for me. Also, the IPTE seats have softer cushions. Obviously there are tradeoffs, it's been discussed for the last 6 years.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by hughw
Yes. Without hesitation. I take UA 2-4-2 over SQ as well, because I can sleep better in it. I find it astonishing that anyone would choose the other way - just shows, to each their own.

I'd prefer the 1-1 on EY F but that's not an option with a P fare or a GPU+W :-)

I will grant you though, that I've only once had to be in the middle of the 4 on a 772. And even then it was 6D, which is the best of the middles if, like me, you prefer to be rear-facing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.