Community
Wiki Posts
Search

She stole my amenity kit!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
If this happened to me, and I didn't say anything, it would bug me for the rest of my life! I couldn't care less about the "loss" as much as making sure she knew I knew she stole it. L'esprit de l'escalier
Old Mar 27, 2017, 12:03 pm

shame

Originally Posted by jaa6921
I recently flew BF from EWR to HKG. As we took off my amenity kit fell on the floor and sild down the aisle by about one row.

As soon as the chime went off, a passenger in the row behind swiftly jumped up, scooped up my kit, clicked open the overhead bin and pushed the kit into her bag! Lol. Slick and well practiced it seemed

When the FA came by i made a point to ask clearly if she had a spare kit since mine had gone "missing". The FA said they had all been given out. The thief said nothing!

So beware of ammenity kit collectors.

Funny i guess.
Watch out. Taking your high-quality wine will be next.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by chavala
If this happened to me, and I didn't say anything, it would bug me for the rest of my life! I couldn't care less about the "loss" as much as making sure she knew I knew she stole it. L'esprit de l'escalier
This reminds me of the time that I stopped some young toughs from sneaking into a movie theater as my friends and I were exiting. I remember spreading my arms out and saying something like, "No, you're not," and gave the kids a stern look. One of my friends said, "Are you crazy, those guys might've been dangerous". I remember telling him that I wasn't even thinking in those terms, I was just PO'd that they were trying to sneak-in using our exit as the means to steal.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by jaa6921
I recently flew BF from EWR to HKG. As we took off my amenity kit fell on the floor and sild down the aisle by about one row.

As soon as the chime went off, a passenger in the row behind swiftly jumped up, scooped up my kit, clicked open the overhead bin and pushed the kit into her bag! Lol. Slick and well practiced it seemed

When the FA came by i made a point to ask clearly if she had a spare kit since mine had gone "missing". The FA said they had all been given out. The thief said nothing!

So beware of ammenity kit collectors.

Funny i guess.

So sorry for being somewhat at a loss, but what airline is BF? It's not 'Buffalo', nor 'Bleeding Fast'. Answers please!
Old Mar 30, 2017, 6:15 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, Global Entry early adopter
Flew IAD-FRA last weekend in E+ aisle, frankly bearing through the whole experience trying to knock out my 4 UA metal flight requirement (I live in Europe). I noticed the FA referring to a paper and handing out amenity kits to specific pax in E+. I was a bit confused by this, made more confused by the fact that the pax didn't have any surprised looks on their faces when receiving the kits, and would put away them away in a safe place out of sight.

Now I see above in post #34 that you can actually purchase amenity kits. Is that true? Sorry -- maybe a question better for the "Simple Question" thread. Or were these pax GS or something?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Flight405
So sorry for being somewhat at a loss, but what airline is BF? It's not 'Buffalo', nor 'Bleeding Fast'. Answers please!
BF = Business First.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by Flight405
The airline this thread is posted in.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by username
Even though the J passenger has chosen not to take it with him/her and it would most likely be thrown out anyway?
I suspect once the plastic wrapper is opened, it's discarded. Not worth figuring out what was used/not used. If still in plastic then presumably could be reused.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
And those tin can amenity kits encountered during the Olympics year ... not so easy to poach & store. Maybe that's the answer to "inventory shortage".
Old Mar 30, 2017, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by goalie

I travel with one of the old legacy PMUA bluish zippered kits as it's a perfect container for some of my personal electronic sundries like charging cords, phone headset and etc
Putting aside the rest of your story - yes - great reuse of those kits! I'll have to put some markings on it so no one could possibly confuse mine with the 3 gens later ones they're distributing. (And I still use one of the mesh slimline ones as my carry-on amenity kit - I just put in the stuff I need for the flight and have the rest in my full size dop kit.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by narvik
I am not so sure about that though. You mean as a J or Y passenger? I could not -with a good conscience- take an amenity kit from the J section if I flew Y.
Originally Posted by username
Even though the J passenger has chosen not to take it with him/her and it would most likely be thrown out anyway?

Well, therein lies the problem in taking someone else's kit:

1) if the amenity kit is unused (still has the plastic wrap over it) I'd not feel right taking it, as it may well be, and probably is, re-used.

2) if the amenity kit is used/opened (does not have the plastic wrap over it), it'd be too icky for me to take. But no, in that case, I'd not have an objection if someone took mine.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by narvik

2) if the amenity kit is used/opened (does not have the plastic wrap over it), it'd be too icky for me to take. But no, in that case, I'd not have an objection if someone took mine.
What's too "icky" about it? It's pretty unlikely someone stuffed used (i.e., to walk into the lav) socks back into the kit . . .
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by drewguy
What's too "icky" about it? It's pretty unlikely someone stuffed used (i.e., to walk into the lav) socks back into the kit . . .
I am not even prepared to venture a guess what someone might do with a personal hygiene/amenity kit.
And many take the whole kit into the lavatory.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 9:16 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I'm surprised that they didn't have an extra kit. On EK, I usually ask the crew for a second kit to take home to give out as a little gift, and they always oblige, even if the flight is full. Does UA really load 1 kit per seat with no spares?
Old Mar 31, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: MileagePlus, Marriott, Hertz
Originally Posted by itsMoe
I'm surprised that they didn't have an extra kit. On EK, I usually ask the crew for a second kit to take home to give out as a little gift, and they always oblige, even if the flight is full. Does UA really load 1 kit per seat with no spares?
That has been my experience. Once had an unpleasant interaction with an FA because I had opened the kit in business and then again when I was moved up to first. The FA had to re-assemble a kit for the PAX that was in my original seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.