Community
Wiki Posts
Search

She stole my amenity kit!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:33 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by fly747first
Amazing how these things only seem to happen on UA, what a circus of an airline.
Seriously?
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I would have told the purser and let him/her deal with it.

The kit contents are back to being useful again. I have a pile of them in my closet, going back over 10 years. I'm still amazed at the really cruddy ones from 5-7 years ago, the mesh zip bag with the tiny tube of Chinese toothpaste and the cheapest pair of socks ever created. I had one of the literally tear in half when I was putting it on. I mean, I know that in the winter the skin on my feet dries out, but never to the point of sheering socks in half.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 9:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fly747first
Amazing how these things only seem to happen on UA, what a circus of an airline.
Hmmm -- seems like it can happen to anyone on other airlines also
...http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27169055-post6.html

and
AF

SA

LH http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...ld-you-do.html

Multiple Airlines - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ess-class.html

and others
Old Mar 24, 2017, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Tizzette
But if it is a freebie giveaway like an amenity kit, if I wanted it I would not feel bad about keeping it.
That's theft, plain and simple. You know it doesn't belong to you. But I guess if you wanted it it's ok.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 2:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by goalie
a bag of Tootsie Pops for the crew
Huh?
Old Mar 25, 2017, 3:12 am

I'm curious to everyone's thoughts on taking unused amenity kits. In the LH thread, the OP mentions a business class cabin that is, at most, half full, so a passenger decides to snag the amenity kits that are at empty seats. Fair or foul?
Old Mar 25, 2017, 3:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Foul. And just bad behaviour.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 3:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by hardworking21
I'm curious to everyone's thoughts on taking unused amenity kits. In the LH thread, the OP mentions a business class cabin that is, at most, half full, so a passenger decides to snag the amenity kits that are at empty seats. Fair or foul?
How is this anything other than stealing, and therefore foul?
How in the world would this be considered fair....I would love to hear/read that reasoning!
Old Mar 25, 2017, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by popoemt
I watched a guy from business (on a Polaris EWR-SFO 777-300 flight), wander to the mid-back of economy, turn left (I was walking around taking pictures and happened to be behind him), he saw a bunch of stroop waffles laying out, Mr. Sticky Fingers grabbed what looked like 10-15 of them, shoved them into his pockets and kept going.

It was odd to watch, maybe asking for 1 or 2 from a FA would've been an easy ask, but damn man, 15 stroop waffles...
While I would not do that, I can't believe how expensive stroopwaffels are! I went on Amazon to order and they are about $1 each...

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Foul. And just bad behaviour.
Foul, but I don't see a problem with taking amenity kits AFTER the flight when passengers have left them behind.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 5:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I can't believe how expensive stroopwaffels are! I went on Amazon to order and they are about $1 each...

"About $1" is correct: more precisely $0.7809375/each when you buy 4 boxes (and are a Prime member which includes free shipping).

Foul, but I don't see a problem with taking amenity kits AFTER the flight when passengers have left them behind.
I am not so sure about that though. You mean as a J or Y passenger? I could not -with a good conscience- take an amenity kit from the J section if I flew Y.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I don't see a problem with taking amenity kits AFTER the flight when passengers have left them behind.
If I leave mine behind (which I do about half the time), I've got no problem if another passenger takes it. In fact, I think I'd rather it be taken by someone who will use it rathr than get recycled or thrown away by UA.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by hardworking21
I think if there is an amenity kit that was given but left on the seat by the passenger, it is fair game.

But if it's a kit that sat on a seat that no one occupied, it belongs to the airline.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by narvik
I am not so sure about that though. You mean as a J or Y passenger? I could not -with a good conscience- take an amenity kit from the J section if I flew Y.
Even though the J passenger has chosen not to take it with him/her and it would most likely be thrown out anyway?
Old Mar 25, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by narvik
"About $1" is correct: more precisely $0.7809375/each when you buy 4 boxes (and are a Prime member which includes free shipping).
I just brought back a package of a dozen stroopwafles from a Heijn store in Amsterdam and it was only €1.50
Old Mar 25, 2017, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by justforfun
That's theft, plain and simple. You know it doesn't belong to you. But I guess if you wanted it it's ok.
Not fair. Another passenger is given a free amenity kit, drops it, it slides down the aisle to my seat. I watch for OP or an FA to look around for it so I can return it but OP doesn't bother. It is an abandoned, unwanted amentity kit worth maybe $5. So yes, I feel it is OK to keep it. I don't want or need somebody else's amenity kit, this is just my comment on the ethics of the situation presented. Different story entirely if it were somebody's Bose headphones or any personal belonging, which should be turned in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.