Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2017, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Working summary (Updated May 2018)

ORD - OPEN near C16, opened Dec 1 2016
SFO - OPEN in previous UC space in International Terminal G, April 30, 2018 (occupies previous UC+ SQ + BR lounge space)
EWR - OPEN old UC near Gate C120, June 4, 2018
IAH - OPEN - E11/E12, top floor of existing UC June 29, 2018
LAX - OPEN 12 January 2019 - Above rotunda near gate 73
IAD - "Under Construction" (2020?) - near C4, existing GFL (GFL converting to UC end of June 2018)
LHR - "Future location" - T2 opposite B46 at existing GFL (still open)
NRT - "Future location" - above existing UC
HKG - "Future location" - above gate 61, existing GFL (still open)

Polaris Progress Tracker 2017.06.26
Originally Posted by UASleeper
United has installed a Polaris Progress Tracker on its webpage, which tracks the progress of aircraft types/routes with Polaris seats and Polaris lounge openings. Here is the link:

http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris...-desktop-4/p/1

Under the "Aircraft" tab, all currently existing routes serviced by the new 773 (SFO-HKG, EWR-TLV and SFO-NRT are listed) are listed as well as (yet to be converted) 763 and 772 types. For the 763 the listed starting date is "Fall 2017." For the 772 the webpage states "Winter 2017," which sounds optimistic to me as it sounds more like 4th quarter of 2017 than the previously announced first quarter of 2018. Zodiac's output of Polaris seats for all three aircraft types must be ultra smooth by now, if United wants to stick with its predictions. Can't wait to see the first converted 763 in mid July...
Original summary
http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris-tracker-mobile/p/2
From [email protected] on 02/27/2017:
Dear XXXXX:
No announcement has been made to let us know when additional United
Polaris lounges will be opening. We are still renovating some of the
locations. Our United Premium Cabin Lounges page on our website will be
updated once the dates are announced. I've included the link for you
below.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...n-lounges.aspx
This does not preclude any rumors from being true.

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..[
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges[url=http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showwiki.php?t=1769733](wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread
Print Wikipost

Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-202x

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2017, 5:27 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by N1120A
The climate at DEN is pretty nice.
So you're saying you'd be the first one on an outdoor patio in the middle of winter in DEN?
Old Aug 31, 2017, 6:51 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
So you're saying you'd be the first one on an outdoor patio in the middle of winter in DEN?
I would, often in January we have sunny days where it is in the high 60s and it is beautiful sitting outside.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by N104UA
I would, often in January we have sunny days where it is in the high 60s and it is beautiful sitting outside.
I agree! I'm from Santa Fe and we sat outside in the winter all the time. It's not humid so you don't feel it like you would in the NE.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 3:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Average Temperatures for Denver
January
Low 15.2°F
High 43.2°F

For every day the high is in the 60's, there is a day in the 20's or two days in the 30's
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Average Temperatures for Denver
January
Low 15.2°F
High 43.2°F

For every day the high is in the 60's, there is a day in the 20's or two days in the 30's
Average means 50% of the time it is above 43.2°, and sunny and 45° is nice outside, so I will still take that

However from March until November it is an average of 51°+ so 9 months a year where you can use the patio.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:03 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Average means 50% of the time it is above 43.2°, and sunny and 45° is nice outside, so I will still take that

However from March until November it is an average of 51°+ so 9 months a year where you can use the patio.
If they installed a hot tub in lieu of showers, then the DEN Polaris patio could do double duty, year-round!
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

Not quite ... Average high means the average of the high temps -- so on the days it is above 43°, it is there for a few moments and for most of the day it is well below the high .

Additionally, for most unless properly dressed, 45° or 50° (10°C) would be considered quite cool and most transit passengers are probably not equipped for such temps while flying.

Coolest average monthly high for LAX is 68°, even the lowest average low is 48° --- that is probably a better fit for a UC deck.

Sounds like you like cool crisp surrounds but I suspect most would avoid the outdoor deck when under 60° F. More room for folks like you
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Sounds like you like cool crisp surrounds but I suspect most would avoid the outdoor deck when under 60° F. More room for folks like you
ZRH terminal E lounge has an outdoor patio. You're not going to see many people out there in January or February. Mostly just the die-hard smokers
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:48 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
There are lots of nice days in Denver in the middle of winter.

Originally Posted by transportprof
If they installed a hot tub in lieu of showers, then the DEN Polaris patio could do double duty, year-round!
That's the spirit!

Originally Posted by Kacee
ZRH terminal E lounge has an outdoor patio. You're not going to see many people out there in January or February. Mostly just the die-hard smokers
And it stays cold there all winter.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
I chatted with one of the agents in the EWR C club today. She said that the C120 UC was originally supposed to be split into a Polaris Lounge and smaller UC. But with the experience in ORD, now the entire C120 UC will become the Polaris Lounge.

The C74 UC ("rotunda") remains a UC, and a new UC will be built above the gates starting in 2018 (unsure if it's C2 or C3 wing). Until then, the pop-up near C124 will (try to) handle the overflow. She said it's going to be a mess for quite a while.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by wxguy
I chatted with one of the agents in the EWR C club today. She said that the C120 UC was originally supposed to be split into a Polaris Lounge and smaller UC. But with the experience in ORD, now the entire C120 UC will become the Polaris Lounge.

The C74 UC ("rotunda") remains a UC, and a new UC will be built above the gates starting in 2018 (unsure if it's C2 or C3 wing). Until then, the pop-up near C124 will (try to) handle the overflow. She said it's going to be a mess for quite a while.
how can this be so difficult for UA? They know how many Polaris seats they have for sale. They know how many UC memberships they have on the books and the historic records of UC usage. With this knowledge, why can't they design their clubs accordingly?
Old Sep 4, 2017, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by halls120
how can this be so difficult for UA? They know how many Polaris seats they have for sale. They know how many UC memberships they have on the books and the historic records of UC usage. With this knowledge, why can't they design their clubs accordingly?
I'm willing to believe that ORD Polaris space issue stemmed from allowing *A biz pax and not anticipating their numbers (e.g., see threads/posts asking for access, even with AC ORD-YYZ tix). Now they may have learned their lessons and apply to others hubs, hopefully.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by radiowell
I'm willing to believe that ORD Polaris space issue stemmed from allowing *A biz pax and not anticipating their numbers (e.g., see threads/posts asking for access, even with AC ORD-YYZ tix). Now they may have learned their lessons and apply to others hubs, hopefully.
How could they not anticipate the *A business passengers arriving/departing from ORD? Is that some kind of secret? Even if the *A partners don't want to share their load data, how difficult would it have been to estimate the number of *A passengers?
Old Sep 4, 2017, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by halls120
My guess is at lest two things happened
-- There has been a higher uptake in use of the Polaris Lounge vs the UC than had been predicted. Some which had been forgoing the UC, such as not showing up early enough to use the lounge or using alternative airport establishments.
-- As reports here seem to suggest -- people are spending more time in the Polaris lounge then they had at the UC. Such as coming earlier, staying longer due to a sit down meal.

It does not take much of each of the above factors to significantly overwhelm and miss the initial estimate. All in all good news for UA in the sense this was better received than they had predicted.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My guess is at lest two things happened
-- There has been a higher uptake in use of the Polaris Lounge vs the UC than had been predicted. Some which had been forgoing the UC, such as not showing up early enough to use the lounge or using alternative airport establishments.
-- As reports here seem to suggest -- people are spending more time in the Polaris lounge then they had at the UC. Such as coming earlier, staying longer due to a sit down meal.

It does not take much of each of the above factors to significantly overwhelm and miss the initial estimate. All in all good news for UA in the sense this was better received than they had predicted.
UA's solution is probably to make the lounges less appealing - follow the onboard cuts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.