Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Rumor]p.s. service is ending{UA - premium EWR-SFO/LAX continues–no word on branding}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2017, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi all, not to worry, we continue to offer our premium transcon experience on the EWR – SFO/LAX flights
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I chatted with UA Insider earlier today. He told me--

The premium trans-con markets we operate between EWR and SFO and LAX are not going away. We will continue to offer the enhanced service on those flights.
In a follow-up phone call, he indicated things like premium meals, lie-flat beds, menus, and amenity kits would remain.

No decision has been made whether the service might be renamed Polaris. Everything is still under consideration.

More details on my blog.

FA told me yesterday this info about p.s. going away showed up on one of her FB groups. Would love to see the original source.
Print Wikipost

[Rumor]p.s. service is ending{UA - premium EWR-SFO/LAX continues–no word on branding}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2017, 10:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mduell
Yea, the $550 RT discount F fares TPA-ONT that routed via PS are over.
And they just shut the door on the ultra cheap, no advance purchase restriction, SFO-SJU routing, which you could do all lie-flat.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was once told that, at least for LAX, a lot of movie studios have contracts with UA for this kind of service. I don't know how much UA gets paid for this though.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 5:54 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines

Hi all, not to worry, we continue to offer our premium transcon experience on the EWR – SFO/LAX flights
Old Jan 24, 2017, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
So it's not going to be called p.s., since you avoided that term? But will still be a differentiated product.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I chatted with UA Insider earlier today. He told me--

The premium trans-con markets we operate between EWR and SFO and LAX are not going away. We will continue to offer the enhanced service on those flights.
In a follow-up phone call, he indicated things like premium meals, lie-flat beds, menus, and amenity kits would remain.

No decision has been made whether the service might be renamed Polaris. Everything is still under consideration.

More details on my blog.

FA told me yesterday this info about p.s. going away showed up on one of her FB groups. Would love to see the original source.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
I loved ps. I lived in 6D.

During the height of my UA years I flew ps all the time. Crossed 1MM on a ps flight.

ps as a true high end product died many, many years ago.

ps as a brand died once it moved to EWR.

IMO UA should fold it into Polaris and call it a day.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
ps as a brand died once it moved to EWR.
Huh? Most of what I remember about JFK was crappy Barcalounger seats (sure, with enough spare room to set up a ping pong table) and that ghetto terminal. I can get to EWR easier (probably your actual beef; have you tried Dial7?), I can actually eat the food in the terminal, and there's hourly flights. Not sure what's your beef?
Old Jan 24, 2017, 8:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Syzygies
Not sure what's your beef?
Maybe just that New Jersey is not a premium destination?
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
I loved ps. I lived in 6D.
Another vote for 6D here. Loved that seat. 9A/9D were my backup choices. 6D was remarkably quiet and private, and still spacious. Plus you got served first

p.s. stopped feeling ultra-special a long time ago - and now if you're not in front, it's really no different from any other domestic flight.

That said, good (and not remotely surprising) to hear that the product will stay, even if the branding may adjust.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Maybe just that New Jersey is not a premium destination?
Absolutely. New Jersey simply does not compare to Queens.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
You're making a lot of assumptions which have nothing to do with my comment about the brand. Still, I'll answer.

Most of what I remember about JFK was crappy Barcalounger seats (sure, with enough spare room to set up a ping pong table)
I remember much more about JFK than the seat on the ps aircraft. That being said, if you're tall, like I am, the flat-beds turned out to be a downgrade. They are too short to stretch out. The barcalounger at least let my feet hang over. It's not that I wish the barcaloungers make a comeback, but flat-bad are not the panacea some might believe.

and that ghetto terminal. I can get to EWR easier (probably your actual beef; have you tried Dial7?), I can actually eat the food in the terminal, and there's hourly flights.
I'm glad EWR is easier for you, but that is not a universal truth. T7 was not pretty to look at, or be in, but it was small and easy to navigate. Atlantic Terminal to Jamaica Station -> Air Train and I could be at the gate very quickly.

I don't have anything against EWR frankly. Although I'm not in love with NJT compared to the LIRR. Also, in my 6 years living in NYC I did use dial 7, very useful from my office at Bowling Green.

Not sure what's your beef?
ps as a brand was needed to differentiate a service outlier for a particular market. IMO there is no reason to keep it now. Fold it into Polaris. UA likes to copy DL, and DL just calls it D1.

Originally Posted by EWR764
Absolutely. New Jersey simply does not compare to Queens.
Zing.

Last edited by anc-ord772; Jan 25, 2017 at 7:53 am
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
My friend who works at United just texted "I heard that too -- domestic F".
I read a reliable source's (UAInsider) response that this is not true. Probably should be aware of the fact that sometimes a true tidbit (p.s. moniker going away) can morph into something definitively wrong.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 11:59 am

Yep, just a name change to "Business".
Old Jan 27, 2017, 12:01 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

But it doesn't list a business fare. It just says economy and first, and first is not available on all nonstop flights. But given this additional information, I think it is reasonable to assume it is a website glitch, which is annoying since I wanted to book flights!
Old Jan 27, 2017, 12:09 pm

I see inventory availability for all dates in march in F, FN, A, J, JN, C, D, Z, ZN, P, PN (and some ON, R, RN and IN thrown into the mix)

no inventory change bewteen 8th and 9th March. plz check with web help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.