Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by susiesan
Like jsloan, I am planning to do a safari in Tanzania next year and need to fly to JRO on award tix. I will likely fly on TK. I can get to and from JRO on TK flights via either IAH or IST.

Should I book the trip as a one way as soon as award availability opens up for my out bound date, then book the return for 2 weeks later when that date opens? Or should I wait until l the return date opens and book as a RT? It looks like this award in J is 80K one way, 160K RT per ticket and I will need 2 award seats. I have been monitoring the award calendar for the TK flights to JRO and there appears to be plenty of availability almost every day of the week.
For booking this trip from Kansas City, I need UA feeder flights to/from ORD or IAH to continue on TK. The UA flights that connect with the TK flights are available a week before the TK flights show on UA web site. But these TK award flights show as available on ANA web site at the same time as UA flights do. By the time the TK flights show up the feeder flights are gone, forcing me to overnight before or after the TATL TK segment.

Aren't *A partners awards supposed to be released to all partners at the same time?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
US-CA increase in mileage requirements?

Looking IAD-YUL for travel next summer and seeing saver awards. On the way up it is with AC so it shows 12,500 for the outbound. But the inbound says it it is a saver award and it is either 22,500 or 25,000 as well as some flights showing up @ 37,500 for economy nonstop.

Award chart still shows short haul at 10,000 for saver.

Yikes.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Dates?

Probably not actually a saver award. The first column is always Coach awards, both saver or standard.

On July 3rd (YUL-IAD) I see 25k in Y but those are standard awards. On the 4th I see 10k on UA Saver, 12.5 on AC and 25 on UA Standard as options.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by sbm12
Dates?

Probably not actually a saver award. The first column is always Coach awards, both saver or standard.

On July 3rd (YUL-IAD) I see 25k in Y but those are standard awards. On the 4th I see 10k on UA Saver, 12.5 on AC and 25 on UA Standard as options.

Thanks - Good guess on the dates. IAD-YUL 01JUL and YUL-IAD 05JUL

Shows saver at 22.5k, 25k (both booking in X) and and standard at 37.5k (booking in HN)
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fwfdan
Looking IAD-YUL for travel next summer and seeing saver awards. On the way up it is with AC so it shows 12,500 for the outbound. But the inbound says it it is a saver award and it is either 22,500 or 25,000 as well as some flights showing up @ 37,500 for economy nonstop.

Award chart still shows short haul at 10,000 for saver.

Yikes.
You're misreading the display. When you select the return portion of a roundtrip itinerary, the display shows the total price for the roundtrip itinerary.

12.5K outbound (saver) + 25K return (standard) = 37.5K

12.5K outbound (saver) + 10K return (saver <700 miles) = 22.5K
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
You're misreading the display. When you select the return portion of a roundtrip itinerary, the display shows the total price for the roundtrip itinerary.

12.5K outbound (saver) + 25K return (standard) = 37.5K

12.5K outbound (saver) + 10K return (saver <700 miles) = 22.5K

It clearly says 12.5(saver) outbound and 22.5 (saver) inbound = 35k r/t but what I just noticed is that it changed the outbound to a business class leg on AC. (I verified it was X on UA and AC for the 12.5) - return stays X.

other days I am looking it works fine.... It shows 10K outbound X, 10K return for 20K trip.

I have been UA customer for years and even was 1K for about 4 of those years, so I know what I am doing, but thinking the system has either changed in the last few weeks or I am hitting a glitch.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fwfdan
It clearly says 12.5(saver) outbound and 22.5 (saver) inbound = 35k r/t but what I just noticed is that it changed the outbound to a business class leg on AC. (I verified it was X on UA and AC for the 12.5) - return stays X.
I searched your dates and it returned exactly what it is supposed to.

If you think there's an error, you could post a screenshot so we know what you're seeing.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I searched your dates and it returned exactly what it is supposed to.

If you think there's an error, you could post a screenshot so we know what you're seeing, because I don't see an error.
If I do it round trip it messes up.... 37.5k with the AC leg of a two leg US UA/AC connection changing AC economy (X) to business (I).

If I do them individually, I get 12.5 and it stays as X to X. Then the return is 10k nonstop on UA.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:12 pm

I selected the 12.5k flight below:
Attached Images  
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:18 pm

I went back and changed the selection from the 12.5 all economy to the 25k mixed class and then the return for economy dropped to 10k.

So not sure why but it is changing the outbound after I select it and putting those points on the return.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Simple booking question...

Relatively new to booking with UA miles.

I'm looking to go STL - FRA
When I use the UA WEB site I see I can get a non-stop from ORD - FRA on LH.
That works.

I also see there are flights that go from STL - ORD that get me into ORD in plenty of time for the international flight.
That works.

When I enter in STL - FRA it never gives me the STL - ORD - FRA routing. Is this something I could call in and ask them to route the flights that I am seeing or am I stuck with the routing the WEB site gives me?
Thanks
Old Sep 25, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: United, Southwest
You might have Non-Stop checked? I think it's the default?
I don't see any non-stop flights STL - FRA.

Last edited by WheelsUpGal; Sep 25, 2017 at 1:35 pm
Old Sep 25, 2017, 1:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pkerr
.... Is this something I could call in and ask them to route the flights that I am seeing or am I stuck with the routing the WEB site gives me? ....
This is a reoccurring issue since last year's award search changed / new rules -- and there is nothing one can do other than keep checking.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by WheelsUpGal
You might have Non-Stop checked? I think it's the default?
I don't see any non-stop flights STL - FRA.
No non-stops from STL to Europe. Typically go through ORD or DFW.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This is a reoccurring issue since last year's award search changed / new rules -- and there is nothing one can do other than keep checking.
So are you saying they can't set it up the my specifications on the phone. It's ONLY what the WEB site gives me?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.