Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2017, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IamHungry
Does excursionist perk flight has to fall in the middle of the trip? Can it be at the beginning or at the last leg of the trip. For example. ORD - CDG, CDG - ORD, then BKK - HKG at the later date? Or BKK - HKG has to be flown before CDG - ORD?

Thanks!
In the middle, so to speak. An itinerary only qualifies for the ExPerk if it begins and ends in the same region; the ExPerk flight is then the first flight entirely within a second region.

So, you cannot go ORD-CDG, CDG-ORD, BKK-HKG. You could go ORD-CDG, BKK-HKG, MEX-ORD on one itinerary and CDG-ORD on a second, if you wanted to do that. (The MEX-ORD flight may be cheaper than the BKK-HKG flight).

You could probably put that all on a single itinerary -- ORD-CDG, CDG-ORD, BKK-HKG, MEX-ORD -- but I'm not 100% confident UA would price it properly.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 11:08 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
I'm trying to book NYC-ATH in saver J in late May, with the goal of then taking ATH-JTR on a separate cash ticket. Online search allows me to get EWR-DUS-ATH landing at 8:25pm, which is a bit late for a JTR connection. I can find a EWR-DUS-MUC-ATH itinerary manually landing at 2:45pm, but cannot make it show on search, even in Y. Is there a way to book this / check if it is a valid itinerary? (I'm fine taking the DUS-MUC-ATH legs in Y).
Old Apr 14, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Is FRA-ICN-LAX a legal award routing?

I've done IAH-FRA-BKK on LH/TG F numerous times and only had to use the normal amount of miles - as in, it looked at it the same as IAH-NRT-BKK, for example.

When I try yo do FRA-ICN-LAX, it is splitting it into 2 flights and trying to charge for them separately.

Is this correct or should I just call a GS agent?
Old Apr 14, 2017, 8:56 am

Covered ad nauseam in a thread this will probably be merged into. The only valid routings are the ones that .bomb produces when you search FRA-LAX. If you're putting it in multi-city search it will price as two awards. That's the way the system was "enhanced".

Last edited by MCIUnitedGuy; Apr 14, 2017 at 9:23 am Reason: Edited route OP is looking to price
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by avi8tir
I've done IAH-FRA-BKK on LH/TG F numerous times and only had to use the normal amount of miles - as in, it looked at it the same as IAH-NRT-BKK, for example.

When I try yo do FRA-ICN-LAX, it is splitting it into 2 flights and trying to charge for them separately.

Is this correct or should I just call a GS agent?
I don't believe Asia ever was a legal transit region on a NA-EU award even under the 'old' system. I'm sure some might have been able to get such a ticket to price from time to time with manual intervention, or in error, but I never saw NA-Asia-EU autoprice.

OTOH, as you note, NA-EU-various regions of Asia and v.v. is still legal and often will return in search results.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MCIUnitedGuy
Covered ad nauseam in a thread this will probably be merged into. The only valid routings are the ones that .bomb produces when you search FRA-LAX. If you're putting it in multi-city search it will price as two awards. That's the way the system was "enhanced".
This is correct, we now can only rely on what the website spits out.

Regardless I do believe Europe-Asia-USA was never permitted even though Asia-Europe-USA was.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 10:33 am

The website never ceases to amaze me. Searched for award ticket LAX-AMS. Look at this :

"LAX to ZRH
Los Angeles, CA, US (LAX) toZurich, CH (ZRH)
FLIGHTLX 41
Aircraft typeBoeing 777-300ER
Flight advisories
Operated By Balkan-Bulgarian Airlines
  • 2h 25m connection
  • ZRH to AMS
    Zurich, CH (ZRH) toAmsterdam, NL (AMS)
    FLIGHTLX 734
    Aircraft typeAirbus A321
    Flight advisories
    Operated By SWISS International A"
Balkan Bulgarian Airlines went out of business in 2002. Amazing
Old Apr 14, 2017, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Exleftseat
The website never ceases to amaze me. Searched for award ticket LAX-AMS. Look at this :

"LAX to ZRH
Los Angeles, CA, US (LAX) toZurich, CH (ZRH)
FLIGHTLX 41
Aircraft typeBoeing 777-300ER
Flight advisories
Operated By Balkan-Bulgarian Airlines
  • 2h 25m connection
  • ZRH to AMS
    Zurich, CH (ZRH) toAmsterdam, NL (AMS)
    FLIGHTLX 734
    Aircraft typeAirbus A321
    Flight advisories
    Operated By SWISS International A"
Balkan Bulgarian Airlines went out of business in 2002. Amazing

That is pretty nuts, but in fairness to UA's table look ups Swiss Global Airlines IATA code is LZ, which was Balkan-Bulgarian's. I didn't realize there even was an Swiss Global Airlines to differentiate from Swiss International Airlines (LX) and I look at this stuff a lot.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MCIUnitedGuy
That is pretty nuts, but in fairness to UA's table look ups Swiss Global Airlines IATA code is LZ, which was Balkan-Bulgarian's. ...
And defunct (2013) Belle Air

The code has been used multi-times
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by EWR764
OTOH, as you note, NA-EU-various regions of Asia and v.v. is still legal and often will return in search results.
It will just not allow any more stopovers, as it did before. And that's a huge devaluation.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:56 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Just another data point:

I have an O award LHR-FRA-SFO that was booked prior to October 2016.

Just tried to get an earlier flight from LHR into FRA, but told by agent that they could not book, even though the LH award space was available on multiple earlier flights LHR-SFO. Agent said that they would have to rebook the entire itinerary, and they would not be able to give me the O award FRA-SFO.

The new world of UA. I've made numerous changes like this in the past..
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 747FC
I have an O award LHR-FRA-SFO that was booked prior to October 2016.

Just tried to get an earlier flight from LHR into FRA, but told by agent that they could not book, even though the LH award space was available on multiple earlier flights LHR-SFO. Agent said that they would have to rebook the entire itinerary, and they would not be able to give me the O award FRA-SFO.
There are agents who can do it. It's just hard to find them.

The problem is the new interface requires the entire award be rebooked when a ticket is reissued, and most agents lack the tools and/or knowledge to get around this restriction.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:03 pm

What's the status with MilagePlus routing rules? Trying to get it to route JFK-HND-BKK-SYD F but it keeps doing JFK-HND-SYD (with the last leg in Economy). Can I find seats leg by leg and call or did those changes of "computer says no" stick?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by andy2016
What's the status with MilagePlus routing rules? Trying to get it to route JFK-HND-BKK-SYD F but it keeps doing JFK-HND-SYD (with the last leg in Economy). Can I find seats leg by leg and call or did those changes of "computer says no" stick?
It's much closer to the latter. You can ask, but be prepared to be charged for multiple legs as if you were buying each flight individually. Note that JFK-FRA-BKK-SYD is actually shorter, and closer to a "straight line," so you may get more luck with that -- but, probably not.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: DL BA Amex
Award availability problem

I am trying to book CGN-CLE in J or F, but I am encountering a problem with availability of one leg. (one-way booking)
I currently have no status with UA

If I search CLE-CGN, the routing is, (in J @57.5k miles or F @ 80K miles)
CGN-MUC-IAD then DCA-CLE. (The problem is the airport change from IAD to DCA)

but if I search for it in economy class (30k miles) the routing is
CGN-MUC-IAD-CLE... no airport change required, XN is available IAD-CLE for an all-Y booking.

Why am I not offered the routing in J or F with the last leg (IAD-CLE) in XN?
I tried calling UA reservations and web support, but that was a waste of time!

I tried booking the flight in Y and then changing the first 2 legs to J, but that didn't work. Perhaps booking it in Y and then calling UA might work...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.