Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Main Impact
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings or build itineraries that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment basically requires current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made)
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
EveryDay Awards - UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)
principle change - Standard awards being replaced by "EveryDay Award" with variable pricing

What is the Excursionist Perk?
The Excursionist Perk is a free one-way award within select multi-city itineraries. Members who book an itinerary with three or more one-way awards will be eligible to receive one of those one-way awards for free, if it meets all of these conditions:
The Excursionist Perk cannot be in the MileagePlus defined region where your travel originates. (For example, if your journey begins in North America, you will only receive the Excursionist Perk if travel is within a region outside of North America.)
  • Travel must end in the same MileagePlus defined region where travel originates.
  • The origin and destination of the Excursionist Perk is within a single MileagePlus defined region.
  • The cabin of service and award type of the free one-way award is the same or lower than the one-way award preceding it.
  • If two or more one-way awards qualify for this benefit, only the first occurrence will be free.

Previous thread -- UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Print Wikipost

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2023, 7:22 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
And maybe I've just been incredibly lucky, but since they went to dynamic pricing and all that fun stuff, I've changed UA segments on tickets (not necessarily legs) that involved AV, TG, BR, SK, CM, SN, TK, and OS without having to do anything more than occasionally HUACA-ing. I've never had an agent accidentally "delete" my ticket; I've only had them tell me that they can't book the flights I'm looking for unless every flight has new availability. I politely thank them, tell them to leave the flights be and I'll look for other options. Then I call back 20 minutes later and usually get the situation resolved. I've even had my currently booked itinerary (including flights on BR and TG in addition to two different UA flights) changed via the chat option on the website with no ill effects.

I find as long as I spell out to the agent that, please, whatever changes they might make, to ensure that the current flights that I don't want to change are untouched, I have never had an issue. I obviously can't say that that's how everyone's luck has gone, but I have enough of my own personal sample size that I don't hesitate to call and change things when I need to.

It certainly might behoove someone to be more cautious than my approach, but if you "need" a change, I still feel there's not much risk involved in just calling and asking.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
It is certainly true that all of that can be done, just finding an agent willing the 'break the rules' in the case of voluntary changes is very difficult. I found in cases of involuntary changes there is a much higher likelihood of getting this resolved. Just 2 weeks ago I had a partner award go belly up where the LH segment cancelled on an LH connect to NH itinerary. The LH flight was not resolvable (no flights that day at all) ... the NH flight had no inventory ... not only no award inventory, it was J0! Took quite a while, but UA was able to 'delete the LH segment' and re-issue the ticket with the NH segment only.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 11:33 am

Award to China

Not sure if this is new. I have been looking for ticket from US to China. It seems right now the search engine won't be able to price the itinerary well. For example, I can find segment availability SFO to ICN and ICN to PEK on UA website. But I cannot make it show up when I search SFO to PEK, even using multi-city search. Calling does not help either, as it seems the agent sees exactly the same thing I see. I can confirm the availability exists on other airlines website and can also be ticketed. Just want to get some advice if there's any work around on this?
Old Mar 15, 2023, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by snowoody
Not sure if this is new. I have been looking for ticket from US to China. It seems right now the search engine won't be able to price the itinerary well. For example, I can find segment availability SFO to ICN and ICN to PEK on UA website. But I cannot make it show up when I search SFO to PEK, even using multi-city search. Calling does not help either, as it seems the agent sees exactly the same thing I see. I can confirm the availability exists on other airlines website and can also be ticketed. Just want to get some advice if there's any work around on this?
Higher up in the thread (within the past month or so) there have been reports that UA is not booking US-China award flights on one ticket for some reason. No resolution sadly.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by snowoody
I called 1K line twice for two different itineraries; one is US-TPE-PVG and the other is HGH-ICN-US. Agent tried to help; one agent tried to get help desk involved. No dice😂😂

Basically, you cannot find availability of either TOK-PVG or ICN-PVG. But the return is available. TPE-PVG/other Chinese cities are available both ways. US-China award ticket is impossible to get on any *A carrier.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
in theory and at a higher price with appropriate layover ... I guess one could book US-TPE and TPE-PEK as separate tickets ...
Old Mar 15, 2023, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by cfischer
in theory and at a higher price with appropriate layover ... I guess one could book US-TPE and TPE-PEK as separate tickets ...
Yes. This is the only way for not paying United 700K miles business award ticket to PVG. If you book EVA Airways flights from US, there is no need for overnight (except for one LAX-TPE flight).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 1:46 pm

None of the saver business or first awards seem to book first class for domestic segments. Is there no way to get a save business or first that includes domestic first without an exorbitant upcharge?
Old Mar 18, 2023, 1:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pnsnkr
None of the saver business or first awards seem to book first class for domestic segments. Is there no way to get a save business or first that includes domestic first without an exorbitant upcharge?
There are very few domestic first savers in the first place. You can try multi-city which will book as a domestic award plus an international award.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by pnsnkr
Find a connecting domestic segment that also has I (IN) space currently available. Otherwise assuming this is part of a longer international itinerary in business saver, if you let it book the domestic segment into economy saver, you can have them just waitlist the business saver segment in the PNR since you would have already paid the cost for a business award for the whole line of flight. You would need to do the search as origin-destination to get this to construct properly, if you multi city search it I believe it will fare break at the construction points and charge you economy saver (domestic) + business saver (international), which is then not eligible to WL the business segment without additional miles.
pnsnkr likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 2:10 pm

Or you can just book the first leg into X or XN and pay cash to upgrade it (if available). Based on my experience, it's a better value in cash than in miles if you did multi segment.
SPN Lifer, pnsnkr and cheltzel like this.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 6:26 pm

Programs: Previously 5 year AS Gold 75, UA MM Lifetime Gold
Does United allow free stopovers on reward tix?

Apologies if this is a duh, but I searched and didn't see anything. I could swear I did a stopover years ago, but can't be sure. When I called the Premier desk today, the agent told me yes, and tried to help, but ultimately directed me to the multi-city search. When I did that, I was only able to get the two separate flights for about 10K more miles than the original connecting flights. Sorry if I'm missing something here!
Old Mar 19, 2023, 7:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by emcsweeney
Apologies if this is a duh, but I searched and didn't see anything. I could swear I did a stopover years ago, but can't be sure. When I called the Premier desk today, the agent told me yes, and tried to help, but ultimately directed me to the multi-city search. When I did that, I was only able to get the two separate flights for about 10K more miles than the original connecting flights. Sorry if I'm missing something here!
Traditional stopover are no longer available. It was replaced in late 2016 with the excursion perk, which means you book outbound AAA-BBB and return CCC-AAA and then you add a free BBB-CCC and effectively having a stopover at BBB and CCC. BBB-CCC must be in the same region and not in the region of AAA. (This is a bit simplified.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 9:28 pm

Programs: Previously 5 year AS Gold 75, UA MM Lifetime Gold
Ok thanks so much!
Old Mar 21, 2023, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
Or you can just book the first leg into X or XN and pay cash to upgrade it (if available). Based on my experience, it's a better value in cash than in miles if you did multi segment.
+1

When I was booking an award through IAD last November I could only get economy fares and was looking at doing the exact same thing. I found that a separate awards in domestic first was going to cost me at minimum between 35k and 40k miles (for a flight that would increase my layover by something like 8 hours). More convenient flights were much higher.

The cash upgrade to domestic first was $149. If you value award miles at $0.02 per mile that is $700. At $0.01 per mile it is $350. Awards on my flight would have been close to 70k miles

Last edited by cheltzel; Mar 22, 2023 at 5:54 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.