Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Inconsiderate users of United Clubs-loud phone call/speakerphone, watching videos..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inconsiderate users of United Clubs-loud phone call/speakerphone, watching videos..

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I can only guess these people don't have a spouse or friend to tell them they are talking way to loud and being rude.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: American Airlines
Rude Loud Conference Call CLT Admiral's Club on Concourse C

Originally Posted by bldr1k
I can only guess these people don't have a spouse or friend to tell them they are talking way to loud and being rude.
I just left the CLT Admiral's Club on concourse C due to a loud rude person hosting a teleconference in the back cubical area. The Bose head set would not even block this obnoxious person out. This area used to be a quiet area now it's turned into a teleconference room.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by og
Strangely enough, the other party can hear you just as well whether you shout into the phone or whisper into it.
Yes This! Why don't they get it?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by Al Brookins
I just left the CLT Admiral's Club on concourse C due to a loud rude person hosting a teleconference in the back cubical area. The Bose head set would not even block this obnoxious person out. This area used to be a quiet area now it's turned into a teleconference room.
Welcome to Flyertalk!

I have experienced some of the most "important" people, having the most "important" conversations in that very Club.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:03 pm

United Club now Just a Phone Booth

I've been a member of the United Club since about 1969, when it was called "The 100,000 Mile Club" and was free to good customers. Then in 1978 I paid about $250 for a Lifetime Membership which included a free spouse card. As you can imagine, we've more than gotten our money's worth out of that deal.

Once upon a time, when airports were smaller, you could often make use of the clubs even if you weren't flying United. Now, with massive, sprawling terminals, that's less and less practical no matter which club you belong to. For that reason, along with the fact that we're happily retired--and the fact that one of our kids is an AA pilot--our visits to the Club are rare.

But the other day we ducked into the PHL Club between an overseas flight and our shuttle home. Got some coffee, sat down, and were bombarded by road warriors on their phones--one-way conversations coming at us from everywhere. No attempts to speak quietly. On the contrary, they all seemed to want to impress each other with how important they were. Amazingly annoying. We drank our coffee and got the hell out of there. The atmosphere in the clubs sure has changed, and not for the better.

Trains have quiet cars. Airline clubs should have quiet rooms. It scares me to think what it'll be like when they start letting everybody use their phones on planes.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by allga
...Airline clubs should have quiet rooms. ...
Some larger UCs do --
PHL is one of the smallest UCs. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rst-timer.html
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Trains have quiet cars. Airline clubs should have quiet rooms.
Airline clubs (often) do have quiet rooms. What they lack are enforcers.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
they all seemed to want to impress each other with how important they were.
I used to think this as well. But people just lose all sense of radar. It's not about impressing others. It's about not even realizing others share the same space.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I'm at the PHL lounge every week. Around the late afternoon/early evening times (4-7 PM) its mostly business travelers (like myself). It does get a bit annoying with the calls, and even worse the door bell always going off. I typically leave a bit early and walk around before my flight.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:55 pm

On a lighter note, I recently overheard a gentleman on the phone pleading with his child to do their homework, study harder and be nicer to their mother. If they failed their next test ("No more Fs, ok?"), he insisted they'd go back to boarding school. There were quite a few grinning eavesdroppers in the lounge.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, M Life Gold, SIXT Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum, Global Entry
HK's UA Club back in early August. Two males were sitting two tables over from me in the area that overlooks the airfield (the area that has Grand Repos Vitra-like lounge chairs lined up on one side of the table). The age difference was big enough that it could have been father and son but both talked business (loud enough for me to understand they were engineers) over their breakfast which I did not mind as I love to eavesdrop when others are too silly to talk about proprietary things in public.

However, what I did mind was when the older (father?) took his legs and put them on the bistro table!!! in front of him. While I disapprove of a kid's feet on the bench of a NYC subway car (they may not know better because they are still kids and I blame more the parents than the kid itself) I get completely irritated when grown adults misbehave in the same manner. It's not my business when people put their feet god knows where when they are at home but in public? And in a UA club (not to mention in one of the nicest UA clubs worldwide)? I guess money still does not buy one manners...
Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
What public place or transport is not a phone booth these days?
And so called quiet spaces have almost become joke.
Mr. Manners has gone on permanent holiday.
Visitors to our home, esp the younger generation, have to put their phones in a basket at the door and get them back when they leave. That rule has not deterred many.
I too dread the day when phones are allowed to be used in planes.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 9:36 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K , Marriot Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Was at ORD B6 lounge about a week ago and this guy was watching Lord of The Rings The Two Towers on his laptop for all in the food area to hear. I know exactly which movie it was because I could hear the climatic battle at Helms Deep as the orc army attacked the fortress with 10,000 strong.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: UA 2MM 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by EpsilonZer0
Was at ORD B6 lounge about a week ago and this guy was watching Lord of The Rings The Two Towers on his laptop for all in the food area to hear. I know exactly which movie it was because I could hear the climatic battle at Helms Deep as the orc army attacked the fortress with 10,000 strong.
I would have walked over and watched over his shoulder, with appropriate commentary of oohs and ahhhs... and then attempt to speak, "nerd" to him... just like the time I saw somebody playing World of Warcraft at the club, but he was at least good enough to have headphones on.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by EpsilonZer0
Sit right next to him, turn up your laptop all the way, and put on the "Ezekiel 25:17" scene from Pulp Fiction.

If that doesn't help him see what he's doing, it's hopeless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.