Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Inconsiderate users of United Clubs-loud phone call/speakerphone, watching videos..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inconsiderate users of United Clubs-loud phone call/speakerphone, watching videos..

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by sbrower
I like when they mention a customer and something about pricing. When the call is over I say "Hey, I have a friend at xxxxx, and I called to let them know that your position on the negotiation is yyyyy." It might not do me much direct good, but I suspect that it helps a lot of other potential victims in the future.
Originally Posted by rickg523
On another thread discussing overly loud business calls in the lounge, someone very clever suggested passing the loud caller a note saying:
You don't know who I am
You don't know where I work
You don't know who I know.
I thought that was very good and printed some up.
It's worked every time.
^^. I'm glad to see more people are fighting back.

The note seems like a good way to avoid direct confrontation.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
They want to be overheard. That's it. Sadly it is the world we live in these days.
While I am as annoyed as the next person, and while I have thought this in the past, I actually don't agree.

I used to think, "they want others to hear how important their business deals are."

In reality ... they are just oblivious. It's not on their radar at all. They are usually simply inconsiderate.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Addressing only the A/V issue, perhaps lounges could have a sign at entrance saying this is a working environment and offer free ear buds (like offered on the plane)? Most would have their own already, and it might help get the message across.

Of course, the "working environment" line would probably encourage cell phone use, so maybe that's the wrong wording.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Addressing only the A/V issue, perhaps lounges could have a sign at entrance saying this is a working environment and offer free ear buds (like offered on the plane)? Most would have their own already, and it might help get the message across.

Of course, the "working environment" line would probably encourage cell phone use, so maybe that's the wrong wording.
Yeah, exactly the opposite of what I would put on the sign.

Then again, one of ORD's UC had (has?) a designated quiet room. That didn't stop people from being loud and obnoxious in phone and in-person conversations.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 12:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I contemplated going up to one guy and offering to loan him money to buy a headset

But seriously, I agree most business travelers do have some sort of handsfree device (I travel with two or three) . . . that's part of why I find it so annoying when they put their calls/video on the speaker.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
What is the protocol? Calls should be made from the general seating area or from the cubicles/desks?

EWR has some closed cubes IIRC? Also some others? DEN doesn't. Of course, I couple of times I have seen these, people are just sitting in them not on a call or a webinar. Who wouldn't want a quieter place to sit? Control them and add a nominal fee, not as bad as the meeting rooms.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:08 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Yeah, exactly the opposite of what I would put on the sign.

Then again, one of ORD's UC had (has?) a designated quiet room. That didn't stop people from being loud and obnoxious in phone and in-person conversations.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the war room! (Dr. Strangelove)

Perhaps signage should indicate cell phone usage is allowed only in the hallways? Or some particular designated area? Hard to believe simple civility is such a difficult thing.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:33 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
C16. And you're right. Once I heard a guy come in yammering on his phone and say "It's too noisy out there - it's much better here in the quiet room."

How do you argue with logic like that?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:01 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Strangely enough, the other party can hear you just as well whether you shout into the phone or whisper into it.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the war room! (Dr. Strangelove)

Perhaps signage should indicate cell phone usage is allowed only in the hallways? Or some particular designated area? Hard to believe simple civility is such a difficult thing.
I think lounge staff should simply address overly loud visitors in general. It's not as if every caller is a screamer. Very few in fact. Just scoot them out into the hall (where they can try and outscream one another.)
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:51 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), SPG (Lifetime Plat), Star Alliance, One World, Virgin (Gold)
The shame is that this is indeed a problem and passengers do not show consideration to others...

but there again... travellers always like to outdo one other....
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
What I like to do is stand next to the offender and talk loudly on the phone too saying "just pull them to one side and tell me you miss me and love me". Seems to stop most conversations.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:25 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by ajGoes
As you handed him the note, you should have asked whether you'd spelled the name of Ms. Hauptmann in accounting right.
or Hauptfrau?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:35 am

Programs: United MP 1K, SPG Gold
I heard someone in a bathroom stall speaking extremely loudly in Mandarin/Cantonese to the point of obnoxiousness at the SFO lounge... couldn't believe it.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
I contemplated going up to one guy and offering to loan him money to buy a headset

But seriously, I agree most business travelers do have some sort of handsfree device (I travel with two or three) . . . that's part of why I find it so annoying when they put their calls/video on the speaker.
I travel with at least two sets as well and have loaned headsets in lounges to "loud talkers" and it has helps. Generally they take it well, quite down, and have been appreciative. Better to offer a carrot than a stick.
GuyverII likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.