Wiki Posts
Search

SFO-BOI-ORD: Same Plane?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2017, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
SFO-BOI-ORD: Same Plane?

I'm looking to burn an RPU there is space on SFO-BOI-ORD. The connection is 53min. Both flights are ERJ175. Is the BOI-ORD the same plane that I'd be arriving in from SFO?
This is for May so the times are 8:50-11:22am and 12:15-4:39pm but looking at the flights this week it's all morning flights so I'm not sure if it would tell me anything.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Does it matter if it is? Honestly no one will know the answer right now. It's quite possible it's the same equipment but also quite possible it's not. And even if it's the same equipment today, tomorrow is a different day with different equipment usage.

This shouldn't affect your booking the flights or using an RPU. That's plenty of connection time in BOI to make the flight assuming SFO-BOI isn't delayed. And if it is ahead of time, you can ask to be re-routed while in SFO. Lots of non-stops to ORD and, obviously, a ton of connecting flights to ORD if you want to do that.

-RM
Old Jan 15, 2017, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Does it matter if it is? Honestly no one will know the answer right now. It's quite possible it's the same equipment but also quite possible it's not. And even if it's the same equipment today, tomorrow is a different day with different equipment usage.

This shouldn't affect your booking the flights or using an RPU. That's plenty of connection time in BOI to make the flight assuming SFO-BOI isn't delayed. And if it is ahead of time, you can ask to be re-routed while in SFO. Lots of non-stops to ORD and, obviously, a ton of connecting flights to ORD if you want to do that.

-RM
I figured that with the smaller station at BOI some people here may have the schedules or are familiar with the operations there and which aircraft fly in/out.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:27 am

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I'm looking to burn an RPU there is space on SFO-BOI-ORD. The connection is 53min. Both flights are ERJ175. Is the BOI-ORD the same plane that I'd be arriving in from SFO?
This is for May so the times are 8:50-11:22am and 12:15-4:39pm but looking at the flights this week it's all morning flights so I'm not sure if it would tell me anything.
Highly likely, but not certain:

At the moment the SFO comes in the prior night and makes up the BOI-ORD following morning. In May, IAH and DEN have CRJ-700 service so you know it's not the inbound based on equipment. The morning ORD arrives at 11:56a so has too short of a turnaround to make the 12:15p -- meaning the only aircraft on the ground with feasible turnaround at BOI is indeed your inbound SFO...
Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
IMO - highly unlikely. AFAIK - UX does not change equipment when arriving UX market cities. In other word, SFO-BOI will become BOI-SFO.

If this is Mainline service, then it will be different.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the bit of info. I took a break on R space searching for SFO-ORD/IAH and came back this morning and spent another 2 minutes and found it on SJC-ORD-SJC.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by garykung
Less likely than in the past. UA shifted operations last year to run far more flights as out-and-back from the hub rather than hub1->spoke->hub2 transits.

But I echo RobOnLI's point that it mostly doesn't matter. Even more so since the OP found a useful nonstop option.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
IMO - highly unlikely. AFAIK - UX does not change equipment when arriving UX market cities. In other word, SFO-BOI will become BOI-SFO.

Disagree completely here. In CVG (with all but 2 flights a day on UAX), at least, this is only the case some of the time. I checked CVG-ORD today, for example, and taking out the mainline departure, only half are inbound from ORD, there are others that use a plane from EWR and IAH. Of today's IAH departures, only 1 of 4 has the inbound from IAH.

Looking at BOI - SFO, 2 of 4 inbounds today are from DEN. The LAX flight comes from SFO. Just a sample (but the ORD flight is the inbound from ORD last night, but both days this weekend, the ORD inbounds were from SFO).

So quite possible for UAX to go hub 1 --> spoke --> hub 2. My experience, though YMMV, is that a UAX crew often flies the same aircraft for all or most of their flights on any given day.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond

Not the case - my UX DFW-SFO yesterday was inbound from ORD, and my outbound on same route was going from DFW to LAX. This morning's BOI-ORD is comprised of last night's SFO-BOI inbound.

In fact, I frequently find Skywest operate Hub1 ---> Spoke ---> Hub2 with the E-175.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA - Silver, Hertz-5 star
I flew ORD-BOI-SFO this past summer and it was the same plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.