Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Commutair - poor operations of late.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gold23

As mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm actively booking away from UA when CommutAir is the carrier,

Yesterday I flew FRA-IAD-JAX and the IAD-JAX had rolling delays. UA offered IAD-EWR-JAX as an alternative with EWR-JAX operated by Commutair. I said no flipping way. Turns out the EWR-JAX flight cancelled. I pity the people who accepted the reroute. Looking at the flight status this morning, looks like they flew an empty plane into JAX from IND last night for this morning's 6AM JAX-EWR flight.

I hope there is some performance penalties built into the contract.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 6:25 am

We stopped using Commutair IAD-CHO (6-8x per year), and just rent a car from IAD. Was no better than the awful Colgan (8 controllable major delays or cancels the last year they were in business).
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by don731
We stopped using Commutair IAD-CHO (6-8x per year), and just rent a car from IAD. Was no better than the awful Colgan (8 controllable major delays or cancels the last year they were in business).
8 delays/ cancels in a year? On the jax-ewr route, Commutair has that many in the past 30 days!

if i have a need to go Ewr I drive to MCO and fly from there.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 10:41 am

Smile

Originally Posted by TomMM
8 delays/ cancels in a year? On the jax-ewr route, Commutair has that many in the past 30 days!

if i have a need to go Ewr I drive to MCO and fly from there.
We only did that trip around 12x per year.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA US
Seems as if they never recovered from closing the CLE maintenance base. One thing after another.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Spoke with one of their pilots today (on time!!!!). He said they were severely understaffed on the captain side. Apparently they promoted a bunch into UA, then got the contract, and didn't have the capability to fly the routes they committed to. He also said that the splitting of many routes out of EWR with ExpressJet causes double the delays. In the past, it was easier to reposition or simply cancel and consolidate....now they can't do that.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Troubles continue.

My Commutair flight on Friday has already cancelled. Crew Availability.

Now added a connection and several hours of travel time to my day.

Old Apr 16, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
This Commutair mess is forcing me with two options to get to PVD...
  • Either chance a 47 minute connection in ORD (mainline to express), or,
  • Fly on AA via PHL, which leaves at a time that is not convienent, and involves 2 stops.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by fgirard
This Commutair mess is forcing me with two options to get to PVD...
  • Either chance a 47 minute connection in ORD (mainline to express), or,
  • Fly on AA via PHL, which leaves at a time that is not convienent, and involves 2 stops.
Depending on the day, are there non-Commutair options out of EWR or IAD that work with your schedule?

David
Old Apr 16, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by DELee
Depending on the day, are there non-Commutair options out of EWR or IAD that work with your schedule?

David
There are 4 flights that run EWR-PVD, the early 2 are Commutair, and the last two were Commutair a few days ago when I checked, but are now ExpressJet.

I'm sure that could change.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fgirard
There are 4 flights that run EWR-PVD, the early 2 are Commutair, and the last two were Commutair a few days ago when I checked, but are now ExpressJet.

I'm sure that could change.
Of course. Well, there's always BOS or BDL if those aren't Commutair and drive an hour+. Or you could assess what United is doing on adjacent days with those same flights WRT non-Commutair options and be watching for changes. Or, skip all of this and, as noted, fly another airline albeit with more stops.

David
Old Apr 16, 2017, 4:50 pm

I've completely sworn off of Commutair for the remainder of the year in any situation where I have options. I'm certain I'll be back in this thread to complain about a last second booking where I had little or no choice, but I'm actively scheduling away from this carrier.

I'll make AA elite EWR-CLT-??? for my dozen or so trips over the next several months as opposed to flying Commutair direct. Based on my experiences this year, I'll bet I have considerably less travel time with my connections than had I decided to fly straight there.

This is completely unacceptable, and I have absolutely no comprehension as to why UA is ok with it. Personally, this matters much more to me than their IDB policies.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On UA4865 BWI-EWR for Friday (04/28/17). Commutair Q200 plane. Let's see if it flies and on time.

David
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:42 pm

Could UA "lend" some pilots from the mainline operation to Commutair?

(I realize that even if this were logistically possible it could cause some friction because of the differing work rules and pay scales.)

Or could they just take over some of the committed but operationally unreliable
express routes with small mainline a/c?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by mherdeg
Could UA "lend" some pilots from the mainline operation to Commutair?

(I realize that even if this were logistically possible it could cause some friction because of the differing work rules and pay scales.)
Friction is an understatement. It won't happen.

Originally Posted by mherdeg
Or could they just take over some of the committed but operationally unreliable
express routes with small mainline a/c?
UA should be getting more 737-700s starting this year. Those will probably displace some UX flights, but it remains to be seen just how many.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.