Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: getagb
GS/Global Services is the highest tier of elite status. It is by invitation -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have significantly enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years' thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2016]
Thread on 2017 Global Services Notifications
Thread on 2017 Qualifying Discussion

Known facts from United:

Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.

We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.

Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.
Known Award and Upgrade Benefits:

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if R inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business First with a GPU if PN inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade business awards (IN or JN) into Polaris First with a GPU if ON inventory is available.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade under T-72 hours provided 2 seats remain for sale afterwards and they are at the top of the waitlist
  • GS can create saver Polaris First (O) space at T-72 hours if they are already booked in saver business (IN), provided one seat remains for sale after
  • GS are entitled to one saver award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available. UPDATE: as of 7/21/17 must have >2 for sale within 72hrs of flight
  • GS can upgrade a companion from coach to biz when flying on a paid biz fare, even if R or PN is not available, as long as J/F>1. Companion needs to be W or greater intl.
  • (Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare.)
  • GS cannot double upgrade. Economy -> PN -> ON is not allowed. *Some reports of TOD being offered at OLCI.
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2017, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by williamqian2014
"GS can upgrade a companion from coach to biz when flying on a paid biz fare, even if R or PN is not available, as long as J/F>1. Companion needs to be W or greater intl."

For this benefit, companion do not need GPU? If it is right, it is major improvement of GS benefit. I will consider getting GS next year.
The companion's upgrade must be supported by the appropriate instrument (RPU/GPU/miles for domestic; GPU/miles for international). The GS benefit is that PN is opened if it is at 0.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:23 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by wxguy
The companion's upgrade must be supported by the appropriate instrument (RPU/GPU/miles for domestic; GPU/miles for international). The GS benefit is that PN is opened if it is at 0.
PN, IN, ON, or O, or some combination of these, depending on what class of service you purchase and how you buy your companions ticket.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:32 pm

Just tried asking an agent to do a SDC to an earlier flight, where I'm already confirmed into PN on the original. The earlier flight is PN1 (no economy seats available) but they said they cannot move me onto the earlier flight unless there's a seat in the original economy fare class, even though it would be PN to PN.

I think this is technically correct but I feel as though I've been able to do this in the past. She said she'd be able to do this if there were 3 seats available, which is strange to me, but hard to test out without the exact scenario being in place.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by villox
Just tried asking an agent to do a SDC to an earlier flight, where I'm already confirmed into PN on the original. The earlier flight is PN1 (no economy seats available) but they said they cannot move me onto the earlier flight unless there's a seat in the original economy fare class, even though it would be PN to PN.
Last month I did a PN to PN SDC where my original fare class was V and the new flight only had M. I was prepared to pay the upfare but was never asked and the agent just moved me over to PN space no questions asked. Did you HUACA? I hope this isn't now an official policy change.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by villox

I think this is technically correct but I feel as though I've been able to do this in the past. She said she'd be able to do this if there were 3 seats available, which is strange to me, but hard to test out without the exact scenario being in place.
this was not a SDC but I also could not move PN to PN T-48. That was last December.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
just completed a PN to PN change on two separate itineraries for next week. In fact, the GS rep was awesome to proactively look for PN on the different times during the day for each flight. Also no change fees incurred.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by FL390
Last month I did a PN to PN SDC where my original fare class was V and the new flight only had M. I was prepared to pay the upfare but was never asked and the agent just moved me over to PN space no questions asked. Did you HUACA? I hope this isn't now an official policy change.
Yesi tried two agents. The first said she could only do it if there were 2 seats left for sale (didn't clarify whether it was 2 left after or before) abs the second said the original booking class had to be available.

i didn't really dig into the specifics of the rules with them as the conditions they put forth were not met regardless.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
just completed a PN to PN change on two separate itineraries for next week. In fact, the GS rep was awesome to proactively look for PN on the different times during the day for each flight. Also no change fees incurred.
Ditto, on a BOS-SFO "p.s." flight. No problemo.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:14 pm

Any GS have these technical issues? (upgrades/SDC)

I seem to have a problem applying a GPU or RPU online. This started when I became a GS. Now I have to call.

I can't SDC when I've been upgraded - when I click the button, it always shows no options. So I have to call. Also started when I became a GS.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 2:26 am

Is no change fees a GS perk? I'd love to know how to replicate that since I change flights now and then and hate change fees.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:57 pm

I just managed to:

- Book 2 SFO-AKL in X with a waitlist GPU to PN. The waitlist cleared less than 2 hours later (773!). I was hesitant to book this at all even though chance of upgrade is good - didn't know there was a chance of it clearing that quickly with no open PN to begin with.

- Converted T to XN, and then confirmed 2 GPUs into PN on the new IAH-SYD

The EWR-SFO and IAH-EWR segments are still waitlisted, but happy to have Polaris on the 13 and 16 hour flights.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
I have had similar experiences in the past month or so.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA GS, Library Card holder
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but I departed PEK earlier today. The GS check-in counter was there and fully operational. I asked how long it had been since they brought it back and was told "just under a week."'

Good news. (And I hope this was the result of people writing in)
Old Sep 7, 2017, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
I can't SDC when I've been upgraded - when I click the button, it always shows no options. So I have to call. Also started when I became a GS.
Known issue for many years (atleast to me). Also affects 1K instant upgrades to PN.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by K2BF
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but I departed PEK earlier today. The GS check-in counter was there and fully operational. I asked how long it had been since they brought it back and was told "just under a week."'

Good news. (And I hope this was the result of people writing in)
There was also one at HKG last week. Do I recall it was gone for a while?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.