Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017

Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: getagb
GS/Global Services is the highest tier of elite status. It is by invitation -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have significantly enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years' thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2016]
Thread on 2017 Global Services Notifications
Thread on 2017 Qualifying Discussion

Known facts from United:

Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.

We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.

Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.
Known Award and Upgrade Benefits:

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if R inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business First with a GPU if PN inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade business awards (IN or JN) into Polaris First with a GPU if ON inventory is available.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade under T-72 hours provided 2 seats remain for sale afterwards and they are at the top of the waitlist
  • GS can create saver Polaris First (O) space at T-72 hours if they are already booked in saver business (IN), provided one seat remains for sale after
  • GS are entitled to one saver award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available. UPDATE: as of 7/21/17 must have >2 for sale within 72hrs of flight
  • GS can upgrade a companion from coach to biz when flying on a paid biz fare, even if R or PN is not available, as long as J/F>1. Companion needs to be W or greater intl.
  • (Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare.)
  • GS cannot double upgrade. Economy -> PN -> ON is not allowed. *Some reports of TOD being offered at OLCI.
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017

Old Jan 7, 2017, 10:25 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
What's a travel agent?

Seriously, I book online like usual, use the GS line if something gets screwy.
That's my MO.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
That's my MO.
Ditto. At this point, I no longer fly complex itineraries and the aid of a TA or GS agent is unnecessary.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
That's my MO.
I use my corporate TA because he also helps with OA bookings that I include in the PNR. Plus, he gets "credit" for my UA booking and it helps support his business. They have a 24-hour hotline that has been a godsend when I have problems on non-UA flights overseas. Once the TA does his booking, I then use the GS line for assistance with anything else, such as upgrades, SDCs, etc.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 1:17 pm

IRROPS

New to GS this year, so I'm wondering what to expect and what I can ask for. Flight has been delayed for more than 5 hours Fromm EWR to NRT, so will miss my connecting flight from NRT to SIN.

Called GS, didn't get much help except telling me the next flight available will be the next day and there is nothing available later in the day when I arrive. Should I expect accommodations from UA for the night? And if there is a flight later that night Fromm HND, will UA pay for the transportation from NRT to HND?

No GS contact since we have been delayed at the gate for the past 5 hours, so I'm not expecting much when I land in NRT.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Eeearth
New to GS this year, so I'm wondering what to expect and what I can ask for. Flight has been delayed for more than 5 hours Fromm EWR to NRT, so will miss my connecting flight from NRT to SIN.

Called GS, didn't get much help except telling me the next flight available will be the next day and there is nothing available later in the day when I arrive. Should I expect accommodations from UA for the night? And if there is a flight later that night Fromm HND, will UA pay for the transportation from NRT to HND?

No GS contact since we have been delayed at the gate for the past 5 hours, so I'm not expecting much when I land in NRT.
Twice in the last year or so when I took ORD-NRT to connect to SIN the flight was late and I missed my connection. Each time there was a GS agent who met me at NRT. The options I was given were to 1) take a bus to HND and connect on an ANA flight there or 2) stay overnight (paid hotel by UA) and take a flight the next day.

NRT agents are extremely proactive but due to the limited amount of ongoing flights there are not that many options late at night.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: vx diamond
Nothing better than getting signed over to a good airline in j on ana or sq on a swu upgrade.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 2:03 pm

Twice in the last year or so when I took ORD-NRT to connect to SIN the flight was late and I missed my connection. Each time there was a GS agent who met me at NRT. The options I was given were to 1) take a bus to HND and connect on an ANA flight there or 2) stay overnight (paid hotel by UA) and take a flight the next day.

NRT agents are extremely proactive but due to the limited amount of ongoing flights there are not that many options late at night.
Thanks for helpful response. Which hotel did you stay over? I'm incline to just stay overnight and flight out of HND the next day. So I'm wondering if they can offer a hotel near HND instead of NRT.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 2:04 pm

Just got GS for the first time.
The card on the United iPhone App shows "Valid thru 01/2017"
Is this a bug?
Old Jan 7, 2017, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AceMiggs
Just got GS for the first time.
The card on the United iPhone App shows "Valid thru 01/2017"
Is this a bug?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-lh-agent.html
Old Jan 7, 2017, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by Eeearth
Thanks for helpful response. Which hotel did you stay over? I'm incline to just stay overnight and flight out of HND the next day. So I'm wondering if they can offer a hotel near HND instead of NRT.
I opted to take the ANA redeye from HND so no hotel was necessary.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: United 1K
New to GS and have a question.

I fly to Europe a lot in J and occasionally my wife has joined me. This was usually pretty complicated and I burned lots of points.

Now with GS, I think I have more options now, but want to make sure.

Assuming I am booked in J on an international ticket - are these my options?

1. Book economy Saver Award and use GPU to upgrade her
2. If economy Saver Award is not available, GS line will make it available

OR

1. Book business class Saver Award - and if it is not available GS line will make it available

OR

1. Pay for W or higher ticket for my wife, and use GPU to upgrade her to business

To me, it would be great if I could get an economy Saver Award on the same flight every time and use GPU to upgrade. Anyone have any experience with this?
Old Jan 7, 2017, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by dangerhsun
New to GS and have a question.

I fly to Europe a lot in J and occasionally my wife has joined me. This was usually pretty complicated and I burned lots of points.

Now with GS, I think I have more options now, but want to make sure.

Assuming I am booked in J on an international ticket - are these my options?

1. Book economy Saver Award and use GPU to upgrade her
2. If economy Saver Award is not available, GS line will make it available

OR

1. Book business class Saver Award - and if it is not available GS line will make it available

OR

1. Pay for W or higher ticket for my wife, and use GPU to upgrade her to business

To me, it would be great if I could get an economy Saver Award on the same flight every time and use GPU to upgrade. Anyone have any experience with this?
Each of these will work:
1. She can book an economy saver award (X or XN) and you upgrade her to business (PN, R, or RN) using a GPU. If X/XN isn't available but T is, T can be converted to X/XN. If PN/R/RN isn't available, she will be on a waitlist for PN.
2. If you buy a business ticket (P, Z, D, C, J) for yourself, then you can buy her a business saver award (IN). If IN is not available, it will be opened for her as long as there is at least one revenue seat left for sale.
3. Buy her a W or higher economy ticket, and upgrade her to business with a GPU. PN, R, or RN must be available, else she will be placed on a waitlist for PN.

Last edited by wxguy; Jan 7, 2017 at 4:14 pm
Old Jan 7, 2017, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium
How is No. 3 different from what a 1K can do (except for the fare class an upgrade will clear)? I've traveled on paid F tickets and upgraded my wife from economy into first/biz using RPU/GPU.

Last edited by Lawyerneering; Jan 7, 2017 at 4:36 pm
Old Jan 7, 2017, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Lawyerneering
How is No. 3 different from what a 1K can do (except for the fare class an upgrade will clear)? I've traveled on paid F tickets and upgraded my wife from economy into first/biz using RPU/GPU.
1K GPU upgrades into R but GS upgrades into PN and PN is more frequently available, plus of course a higher priority, but otherwise it is similar.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: United GS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by villox
1K GPU upgrades into R but GS upgrades into PN and PN is more frequently available, plus of course a higher priority, but otherwise it is similar.
I thought he can upgrade his wife to PN even if PN is not available? (Since he already has a paid business fare ticket)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.