Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Originally Posted by energydj
Or can I can I upgrade both flights purchases with cash using miles to E+?
Yes. Not technically an "upgrade" just the purchase of a seat with extra legroom.
If the question is, "can I purchase my ticket with cash, and then sit in E+ using miles," I believe the answer is "not currently." UA was supposedly working on the ability to do this but I don't think it exists yet.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
If the question is, "can I purchase my ticket with cash, and then sit in E+ using miles," I believe the answer is "not currently." UA was supposedly working on the ability to do this but I don't think it exists yet.
If that was the question, you're right. I thought the question was about using cash to purchase E+ when the ticket is purchased with miles, but re-reading it your interpretation is probably correct.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
As others have mentioned, doing an independent booking without involving UA, is a sure way to eat all the costs yourself.

Just to verify, the travel to SLC from FRA is all on one ticket?

If they overnight yu in ORD, then of course you want to go direct to SLC there is 9AM (ORD) to SLC (11:37) -- there is probably the best case for you. UA's earliest SFO to SLC is 8AM getting in at 11:07 AM

If you can get re-route via DL (challenging for a award ticket when UA options exist) might get you in an hour earlier.
Yes, all one ticket from AGP to SLC We finally did depart for SFO without the opportunity to exit in ORD. The funeral is two hours from SLC, with viewing at 9am and services at 11am so United had no options to get me there at all.

I had a four hour connection in SFO so I wasn't concerned about the initial one hour delay. Once things started going sideways in FRA the united agent in the lounge was gone for the day so I got on the phone with united reservations. She couldn't find any other way to get me there last night or early this morning but when it was announced that the plane would stop in ORD for a crew switch I asked if I could get off with the crew and take a direct flight to SLC that arrived last night and she said yes. Then before I boarded I asked the agents at the gate. The initial answer was no then they consulted with a supervisor and told me that I could and they would book the ORD-SLC leg for me. In flight I saw on the app that I had indeed been confirmed on the ORD-SLC flight so everything seemed okay.

When we landed I was met by an agent at the aircraft door who said that Frankfurt had called ahead but that they had misinformed me and I could not leave the plane. This was my only shot to attend the funeral and if I hadn't been told
by two different employees that it would be possible, there would have been no point in boarding the plane and I may as well have headed back to rejoin my family in Spain. I know United's only obligation is to deliver me to SLC eventually but this is the reason I thought they might have agreed to put me on Delta to get there on time. They said they couldn't but to submit my receipt.

Anyway, I bought the delta ticket and thanks to their legendary schedule padding we landed 40 minutes early and I am almost there. But because g-d was not done laughing at my plans, my checked bag did not make it to SFO so I have no clothes or makeup. This wasn't discovered until about 3am and my Delta flight was at 6am, so no opportunity to buy anything. It's really been a day/night.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by princeville
Anyway, I bought the delta ticket and thanks to their legendary schedule padding we landed 40 minutes early and I am almost there. But because g-d was not done laughing at my plans, my checked bag did not make it to SFO so I have no clothes or makeup. This wasn't discovered until about 3am and my Delta flight was at 6am, so no opportunity to buy anything. It's really been a day/night.
Thanks for updating us and for the reminder what often happens to the best laid plans. It sounds like you've handled the situation with remarkable grace.

Definitely submit your receipts to UA. I would hope they will provide you with customer service compensation in the range of the DL ticket price (though they will undoubtedly expressly disclaim any obligation to reimburse that purchase).
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: Aer Lingus, United, Virgin Atlantic, Qatar
Originally Posted by Kacee
If that was the question, you're right. I thought the question was about using cash to purchase E+ when the ticket is purchased with miles, but re-reading it your interpretation is probably correct.
That was it alright. Purchasing economy ticket and then using miles to purchase a plus seat. Pity thats not allowed.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 1:26 pm

if I have an award itin - TLV-BRU(SN)-BRU(UA)-ORD-IAD
Who do I check in with? SN or UA?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by justsawaufo
Who do I check in with? SN or UA?
Always with the operator of the first segment.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 4:41 pm

For a flight IAD-LGA (regional jet), economy plus bundle is $247 and first is $210. Does this make any sense? First seems the clear choice.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 5:02 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by richarddd
For a flight IAD-LGA (regional jet), economy plus bundle is $247 and first is $210. Does this make any sense? First seems the clear choice.
E+ bundle comes with lounge access, doesn't it?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
E+ bundle comes with lounge access, doesn't it?
Yes, although they seem to be selling lounge access for $50, so for another $13 over E+ you could get lounge and first.

Is there any way for someone (without UA status) to get the E+ seat, without lounge access or the rest of the bundle?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 5:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... Is there any way for someone (without UA status) to get the E+ seat, without lounge access or the rest of the bundle?
E+ access (only) is a standard offering and is offered at seat selection during the booking.

The E+ bundle (many times) and first class offer would give you a number of "free" checked bags.

IAD-LGA is about 80 minutes gate to gate. The F passagners will only get a small snack and free adult beverages.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 5:35 pm

Yes, although they seem to be selling lounge access for $50, so for another $13 over E+ you could get lounge and first.
Most people don't run the calculations. United depends on this.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
E+ access (only) is a standard offering and is offered at seat selection during the booking.
Sounds good. I'm just looking for a not uncomfortable seat and 34" E+ seems much closer than 30" E.

FWIW, I'm not likely to have any bags, checked or carry-on, and hope not to be in IAD long enough for lounge access to matter.

Thanks.
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Most people don't run the calculations. United depends on this.
Some version of: UA, for those who can't do the math.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Yes, although they seem to be selling lounge access for $50
I think it's $59 now?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by oopl
Yes, although they seem to be selling lounge access for $50
I think it's $59 now?
That;s the new "list" price but it is offered in these bundles for $50 standalone.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.