Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:46 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Anybody know if I have a ticket held in Concur, but not ticketed and the fare class gets sold out, when I ticket the reservation in Concur, does the fare class get bumped up?

"TICKET NOT YET ISSUED. AIRFARE QUOTED IN ITINERARY IS NOT GUARANTEED UNTIL TICKETS ARE ISSUED."

Ticket was held in P/Z, PNR shows on ua.com as that. Currently, can only purchase P/D if I were to start a new reservation.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: oneworld Rusty Iron; Starwood Aluminum
Originally Posted by jsloan
Sadly, expert mode hasn't worked on award flights for at least a year. :-( It will show award inventory in regular searches, if you can get the flight you're interested in to appear at all, but it shows nothing for award searches.
Ah ok thanks; I figured it was borked. I got it to show some info in regular searches, but not all. I see availability for J awards on partner airlines for specific legs but that doesn't appear in the fare buckets.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 5:58 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
Anybody know if I have a ticket held in Concur, but not ticketed and the fare class gets sold out, when I ticket the reservation in Concur, does the fare class get bumped up?

"TICKET NOT YET ISSUED. AIRFARE QUOTED IN ITINERARY IS NOT GUARANTEED UNTIL TICKETS ARE ISSUED."

Ticket was held in P/Z, PNR shows on ua.com as that. Currently, can only purchase P/D if I were to start a new reservation.
When you ticket the reservation, Concur will use the best available price and fare class according to your corporate travel policy. If the fare class you initially wanted isn’t available, you’ll get a different one. Versions of Concur I’ve used have always warned if a price or fare class changed, but this is probably a configurable option so YMMV. Better, generally, to ticket the reservation immediately since you can usually cancel without penalty for 24 hours.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
I had cancelled same award trip and rebooked twice in 3 days 3 weeks ago but only got second cancellation credit back for both miles and $. Which line I should call for quick resolution, United reservation or 1k voice?

I know I should change the award ticket to avoid cancellation hassles but I was at Asia back then and if something went wrong I have to make international call to UA. So I went ahead to book my return ticket and then cancelled original BR itinerary because I had IRROR concerns transiting at TPE where a big storm there. I was lucky to get probably my last 744 2A seat. I would really miss this big bird!
Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:06 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by tomwhom
but I was at Asia back then and if something went wrong I have to make international call to UA.
There is a way for 1Ks to call US for free - it's one of the perks. Not a 1K anymore so don't have the details, but hopefully some kind knowledgeable 1K will provide link / details.

Better yet, many of us call 800 via Skype = that too is free. Thank you Skype ^

What I like about Skype is that I'm also on the internet at the same time and can check things like UAL.com.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:16 am

Programs: UA Silver, DL, AA
Do blocked seats on a connecting flight open at OLCI, or do they open 24 hours out from the connecting flight's time of departure?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GretelNick
Do blocked seats on a connecting flight open at OLCI, or do they open 24 hours out from the connecting flight's time of departure?
It depends on why they're blocked. Sometimes they're reserved for gate control and can only be assigned at the airport.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:04 am

When an upgrade clears why does the itinerary often say:

! A modification has been made to your itinerary. Please contact United Reservations to have your ticket reissued.
Why doesn't this all just happen automatically, without needing a call to the elite desk? I mean sure the people at the desk are consistently nice to deal with, but I'd just rather skip the phone all together.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 10:04 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by GretelNick
Originally Posted by Kacee
It depends on why they're blocked. Sometimes they're reserved for gate control and can only be assigned at the airport.
And sometimes they are blocked for pilots. IAH-SJU redeye comes to mind. 1B.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 11:13 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
ongrats on first post, vttale
Originally Posted by vttale
When an upgrade clears why does the itinerary often say:

! A modification has been made to your itinerary. Please contact United Reservations to have your ticket reissued.
Why doesn't this all just happen automatically, without needing a call to the elite desk? ...
Generally it will eventually but in the meantime you will not be able to make seat assignment changes.

As to why it happens -- it just does and has for years and years so don't expect any changes soon.

For more see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ervations.html

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 21, 2017 at 11:46 am Reason: link
Old Jun 21, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Advice on GPU / SDC / VDB for FRA-ORD trip

I am currently booked in B class on UA-operated UA945 Friday 6/30 FRA-ORD @ 8:10 am. I have a middle seat in economy, a GPU waitlisted with low chance of clearing, and a flexible schedule. Current flight inventory is tight (F2 / J1 / Y5). There is a later flight with a little more room (F2/J7/Y6/V2).

In order of preference I would like (1) my GPU to clear, (2) to get an aisle seat, and (3) to get an ETC. I don’t really care when or how fast I get back to Chicago. I would be willing to fly indirect if that would help.

Is my current flight likely to be overbooked & offer a VDB ETC? I haven’t flown an international flight this booked 10 days out before. If so, what amounts are typically offered?

Should I stay on my current flight and hope for the best, or SDC to the later one with more inventory? I’ve read that sometimes the 1K desk agents will transfer your GPU over.

Last edited by getagb; Jun 21, 2017 at 11:41 am
Old Jun 21, 2017, 7:24 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by vttale
Why doesn't this all just happen automatically, without needing a call to the elite desk?
Because United refuses to hire competent programmers.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 10:34 am

book a flight question

In the past when I looked at the book-a-flight page there would be a field above the "List view/Detailed view" displaying the fare a couple of days before and after ( 5 days window ). Don't see that any longer. My fault? Or is it gone for everyone? I have it in expert mode already, so that can't be the problem.

Last edited by Exleftseat; Jun 24, 2017 at 10:46 am
Old Jun 24, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
In the past when I looked at the book-a-flight page there would be a field above the "List view/Detailed view" displaying the fare three days before and after ( 7 days window ). Don't see that any longer. My fault? Or is it gone for everyone?
It's showing on mine.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Exleftseat
In the past when I looked at the book-a-flight page there would be a field above the "List view/Detailed view" displaying the fare a couple of days before and after ( 5 days window ). Don't see that any longer. My fault? Or is it gone for everyone? I have it in expert mode already, so that can't be the problem.
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It's showing on mine.
It's populated asynchronously by a second request. It won't appear if that second request fails, if your cached web pages are corrupt, or if certain parts of the original request fail (even if they don't have an obvious visible impact). Try holding shift and clicking reload (to clear the cache for the current request) or using a different browser.

I can confirm it's appearing for me also.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.