Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2017, 10:58 pm

I have a UA-ticketed & UA-flight numbers return itinerary CHC - New York for later in the year with NZ metal for first and last two legs and UA metal on the middle two legs.

Will I be able to get any upgrades on this routing? I'm fairly certain that I can't do a Air NZ OneUp as it's not NZ ticket stock. Can I use some of my Air NZ Airpoints Dollars to pay for an upgrade? Can I buy an upgrade with $? Any other options?

Fare class is G, if that helps.
Old May 23, 2017, 12:37 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by codyc1515
I have a UA-ticketed & UA-flight numbers return itinerary CHC - New York for later in the year with NZ metal for first and last two legs and UA metal on the middle two legs.

Will I be able to get any upgrades on this routing? I'm fairly certain that I can't do a Air NZ OneUp as it's not NZ ticket stock. Can I use some of my Air NZ Airpoints Dollars to pay for an upgrade? Can I buy an upgrade with $? Any other options?

Fare class is G, if that helps.
On the UA operated legs, you can use UA miles+copay to request upgrades.

For the NZ legs, you will not be able to use UA miles (when on a G fare). Neither will UA offer you a cash upgrade for a NZ operated flight. UA would not be involved.

NZ may allow you to use NZ airpoints or other approaches but those are questions for NZ or the NZ forum.
Old May 23, 2017, 2:54 pm

Question about XN Fare Class eligibility

Hello,
I understand that United has the "XN" Saver Award fare class available to United credit card holders. My question is which cards qualify for this?
Will the United Explorer Business card qualify?
Thanks!
DP
Old May 23, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dwarapalaka
... I understand that United has the "XN" Saver Award fare class available to United credit card holders. ...
UA has never published that benefit -- but some do see it

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ry-access.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...edit-card.html
Originally Posted by dwarapalaka
My question is which cards qualify for this?
Will the United Explorer Business card qualify?
It is believed to be linked to the "Any seat, any time, on United-operated flights" Standard economy award benefit and the Chase MP Explorer Business card also has that benefit.
Old May 23, 2017, 7:35 pm

Programs: WoH Globalist, Wait I have an Ambassador?, National Exe. Elite, AA Gold, UA Silver
Two dumb questions:

1) I have UA silver status via Marriott, but if I want to credit my miles to another airline's FFP, would I still get the UA silver benefits like free checked bag and group 2 boarding?

2) Just how crowded is UA group 2 usually? It seems like everyone and their grandma could get into group 2. Is it really that much of an improvement compared to general boarding similar to how AA's group 2 to AA's group 5?
Old May 23, 2017, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by yeeeeperdiems
1) I have UA silver status via Marriott, but if I want to credit my miles to another airline's FFP, would I still get the UA silver benefits like free checked bag and group 2 boarding? ...
possible but takes some effort.

Put UA account on the booking.
Check in at airport with bags and get boarding pass
After check in, go to kisok and change FF account (asking an agent has a small risk of re-issuing BP)
On return, change to UA FF at check-in.
Post checkin change to other FF program

Didn't say it was easy.
Originally Posted by yeeeeperdiems
2) Just how crowded is UA group 2 usually? It seems like everyone and their grandma could get into group 2. Is it really that much of an improvement compared to general boarding similar to how AA's group 2 to AA's group 5?
Depends on airport and flight. On high density elite flights, a higher persentage of the plane are GS, BG1 and then BG2. On elite-light flights, a lot less.

Nevertheless BG2 is alot better as far as overhead space availability and delays in boarding
Old May 24, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Hi All,

Been a while since I've traveled on a united award. Is what I want to do legal?

Currently have DEN-GRR nonstop booked. I've booked less then 24 hours ago.
Inventory has opened up for:
(night before) DEN-IAD (saver)
IAD-EWR (saver)
EWR-GRR (saver)

The computer won't spit out that option. It will however spit out things like DEN-SFO (overnight)-ORD-GRR. I thought what I wanted to do might be legal (2 connections on domestic us awards aren't that uncommon). I called and agent said I can only change what computer gives me.

Is what I want to do possible? Or do I need one/two awards if I wanted to do that? flying overnight would save me cost of hotel plus get me in earlier.

Thanks!

Last edited by BThumme; May 24, 2017 at 8:54 am
Old May 24, 2017, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BThumme

Currently have DEN-GRR nonstop booked. I've booked less then 24 hours ago.
Inventory has opened up for:
(night before) DEN-IAD (saver)
IAD-EWR (saver)
EWR-GRR (saver)

The computer won't spit out that option. It will however spit out things like DEN-SFO (overnight)-ORD-GRR. I thought what I wanted to do might be legal (2 connections on domestic us awards aren't that uncommon). I called and agent said I can only change what computer gives me.

Thanks!
With the tightening of awards and agent ability, even though what you want is legal, if the computer doesn't give it you, they won't book you.
Old May 25, 2017, 11:35 am

I booked PHX-DEN-IAD purchased P fare
I got to the airport a little earlier and took an earlier flight PHX-DEN via Standby a few hours earlier than my original flight, the only open seat was with in Y, so I took it.

PHX-DEN show up in my statement as V fare for some reason, am I not entitled to the fare I originally paid for if I took an earlier flight via standby?
Old May 25, 2017, 12:48 pm

I just booked my dad a one-way economy ticket YOW-EWR-FLL. I used my MP miles to upgrade him to "First" on the EWR-FLL leg (E145 on the first leg so no upgrade exists).

Question: does he have the right to use the lounge in EWR? I'm pretty certain not, but just checking.
Old May 25, 2017, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by yowspotter
I just booked my dad a one-way economy ticket YOW-EWR-FLL. I used my MP miles to upgrade him to "First" on the EWR-FLL leg (E145 on the first leg so no upgrade exists).

Question: does he have the right to use the lounge in EWR? I'm pretty certain not, but just checking.
Assume your dad is not *G. He cannot access the lounge on a domestic F ticket even with an international itinerary unless he is *G.
Old May 25, 2017, 12:57 pm

Thanks. I thought that maybe because this was an upgraded international itinerary he'd get it (despite the fact that no actual upgrade is possible on the first leg).

Indeed he's not *G.

Last edited by yowspotter; May 25, 2017 at 1:05 pm
Old May 25, 2017, 8:43 pm

Where does United get its inventory when it sells *A partner tickets on united.com?

Air China only publishes a full-Y fare for CTU-XIY. You can buy tickets for this short flight on Orbitz, Priceline, anywhere else, or from Air China's own website for USD$115. Again, this is the full economy fare, with no discount whatsoever.

united.com wants $300+ for the same flight. Where is United getting this number from?
Old May 25, 2017, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sincx
Where does United get its inventory when it sells *A partner tickets on united.com?

Air China only publishes a full-Y fare for CTU-XIY. You can buy tickets for this short flight on Orbitz, Priceline, anywhere else, or from Air China's own website for USD$115. Again, this is the full economy fare, with no discount whatsoever.

united.com wants $300+ for the same flight. Where is United getting this number from?
Air China actually publishes a wide range of fares on CTU-XIY, although the cheapest are, in fact, restricted Y fares that appear to be intended for connecting passengers from the USA (YUS) or Europe (YEU). There are then several more; the $115 fare you're seeing is likely Y16. The biggest restriction it has is a plating restriction:

TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON THE STOCK OF CA OR ZH.
There is a $322 fare, YCN16, with no plating restriction. UA cannot issue tickets on CA or ZH stock, so they're not allowed to sell the cheaper fare.
Old May 26, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: WoH Globalist, Wait I have an Ambassador?, National Exe. Elite, AA Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
possible but takes some effort.

Put UA account on the booking.
Check in at airport with bags and get boarding pass
After check in, go to kisok and change FF account (asking an agent has a small risk of re-issuing BP)
On return, change to UA FF at check-in.
Post checkin change to other FF program

Didn't say it was easy.

Hmm that's actually not as terrible as I thought it would be. So it sounds like the key is to have my UA# on the reservation until I've checked the bags in and holding onto the boarding pass with UA# on?
Would it made a difference if I check in at home first, then check my bags in at the airport, THEN switch my FF#?

Also, what happens if I get issued a new boarding pass? Could I still use the old one with UA#? Curious because I thought the kiosk would print out new BPs no matter what..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.