Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Etoile
Does it do me any good to call AC/SN? The only record identifier I have is a UA one; it didn't work when I tried to bring it up on the AC site.
Looking up your UA PNR online should show you a section for "Alternate Confirmation Number"
​​​​​​ which you can use on AC site.

​​​​​
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
The UA website should show the partner locators under "Additional Information" tab.

The other alternative is to call AC/SN. They can find your reservation with name and flight information.
Originally Posted by Wooglin
Looking up your UA PNR online should show you a section for "Alternate Confirmation Number"
​​​​​​ which you can use on AC site.

​​​​​
Found it, thank you both!
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:15 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
I'd say there's a zero percent chance making the request through UA will accomplish anything. A request for a special meal has to be made with the operating carrier.
My first thought. Calling UA will make request go into a black hole IMHO.

The UA website should show the partner locators under "Additional Information" tab.

The other alternative is to call AC/SN. They can find your reservation with name and flight information.
Not all UA rez show partner info, but name and 016****** ticket number should do the trick on the phone.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Not all UA rez show partner info
Nope, but AC and SN typically will.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by EmailKid
My first thought. Calling UA will make request go into a black hole IMHO.
My AC flight shows up as AVML, which I gave as a second choice, so that worked! SN flight shows nothing, their phone rep claims they can't touch a UA reservation even though it's SN metal. They say "request it when you check in at the airport" so fingers crossed.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Etoile
My AC flight shows up as AVML, which I gave as a second choice, so that worked! SN flight shows nothing, their phone rep claims they can't touch a UA reservation even though it's SN metal. They say "request it when you check in at the airport" so fingers crossed.
SN is probably the same locator number, both AC and SN use Amadeus.

SN does not have the best reputation for customer service.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:30 am

SN is probably the same locator number, both AC and SN use Amadeus.

SN does not have the best reputation for customer service.
Different numbers, but the UA site provided them. Unable to select seats on the UA and SN sites sadly, but can on AC (fee involved). Alas, I had very little control over this booking! But hey, you don't turn down a free trip to Slovakia...
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:50 pm

Hi Guys,
Anyone know why the United EWR-HNL HNL-EWR flight is now 767-300 and not the usual 767-400 aircraft? Also is this the 767-300 with the updated interior or the one with the ratty 30 year interior that was on the flight to LHR earlier this year.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 10:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by btjcflyer
.... Anyone know why the United EWR-HNL HNL-EWR flight is now 767-300 and not the usual 767-400 aircraft? ....
For now there are some shifts based on demand but the plan is in Oct 2017:
764s are being focused in EWR
763s are being focused in IAD

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rning-ewr.html

Originally Posted by btjcflyer
.... Also is this the 767-300 with the updated interior or the one with the ratty 30 year interior that was on the flight to LHR earlier this year.
All the 763s are lie-flat business and maybe some are 10 years since a refresh -- none are 30 year old interiors. In the next year all the 3-class 763s will be converted to the new all aisle access Polaris seats.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, Carnival VIFP Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Would this situation be considered "Back to Back" or some sort of other disallowed ticketing?

Let's say I book a multi city trip on UA AAA - BBB - CCC - DDD

During my time in BBB, I book another *A partner (using that partner's website to generate a non-016 ticket on that partner's metal) to fly BBB-ZZZ-BBB round trip, and put my UA MP number in the booking to earn UA RDM/PQM in the process.

I'm not booking a separate UA PNR while in the middle of my original PNR's trip, but UA would know about my OAL PNR since they'd be crediting my miles from that *A partner.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aoumd
Would this situation be considered "Back to Back" or some sort of other disallowed ticketing?

Let's say I book a multi city trip on UA AAA - BBB - CCC - DDD

During my time in BBB, I book another *A partner (using that partner's website to generate a non-016 ticket on that partner's metal) to fly BBB-ZZZ-BBB round trip, and put my UA MP number in the booking to earn UA RDM/PQM in the process.

I'm not booking a separate UA PNR while in the middle of my original PNR's trip, but UA would know about my OAL PNR since they'd be crediting my miles from that *A partner.
This is fine. People do this all the time. The only time this would even come close to raising a red flag would be if ZZZ and AAA or DDD were the same city. Even then, it would only be a problem if you violated the fare rules of the original ticket to do it (e.g., a minimum stay requirement).
Old Aug 19, 2017, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
This is fine. People do this all the time. The only time this would even come close to raising a red flag would be if ZZZ and AAA or DDD were the same city. Even then, it would only be a problem if you violated the fare rules of the original ticket to do it (e.g., a minimum stay requirement).
Yeah, probably fine although definitely sketchy if Z is the same city as A or D. Of if same continent as in e.g. SFO-FRA(-ORD-FRA)-VIE-SFO. But as jsloan note, only if minimum stay requirements come into play.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, Carnival VIFP Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by jsloan
Originally Posted by findark
Yeah, probably fine although definitely sketchy if Z is the same city as A or D. Of if same continent as in e.g. SFO-FRA(-ORD-FRA)-VIE-SFO. But as jsloan note, only if minimum stay requirements come into play.
Thanks!
Old Aug 19, 2017, 8:03 pm

Hi All,

Quick question.

Im on a Y Award from FSD- Den, flight is currently scheduled to be operated by United express.

I see there is an earlier flight in the afternoon. On the day of departure is there a way for me to switch to the earlier flight? If I simply show up early to the airport and there are open seats will I be able to get on board?
Old Aug 19, 2017, 8:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kyamato
Hi All,

Quick question.

Im on a Y Award from FSD- Den, flight is currently scheduled to be operated by United express.

I see there is an earlier flight in the afternoon. On the day of departure is there a way for me to switch to the earlier flight? If I simply show up early to the airport and there are open seats will I be able to get on board?
UA has a process called Same Day Change.

You can attempt to change a flight within 24 hours of the original time and 24 hours of the new flight time (both conditions needs to be met). It requires your original fare class be available -- as you have an award flight, the same type of award needs to be available -- which may be a challenge. Especially more than a few hours prior to departure (discount fare classes tend to open up 3 hours prior to departure). But if it does become available you can make a confirmed change. You can do this without actually being at the airport.

If it does not become available, you can still try to do a Standby at the airport gate.

In either case, the confirmed change or a successful standby, there will be a fee (based on status). It is $75 if you have no status. The Standby case is not charged unless you are successful, and there is no fare class requirement -- just an empty seat in your cabin.

For more, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...7-forward.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.