Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by MrFrosty
1. I'm only a premier silver. How do priority luggage tags work? I purchased 4 x RT tix from SFO - NAS. We each had 1 checked bag. On the way out all 4 bags were given the orange priority tag. On the way back, only my bag was given the orange tag. The agent advised that only the Silver member with VIP printed on the luggage tag is able to get the priority tag. Is that correct?
It should be everyone on your PNR - just like the other components of Premier Access (Group 2 boarding, priority security).

Originally Posted by MrFrosty
2. Flight was delayed 2 hours due to weather in IAH. United sent me a survey asking how I felt about the flight delay but no compensation. Are weather events eligible for compensation?
Generally, no. If it was just a 2-hour O&D delay (not a misconnect) I would just chalk it up to normal airline experience.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 1:58 pm

I'm booking a trip for work, Business class EWR to GRU the Flight is around 8K I'm signed up for Mileage Plus and using My Sapphire Reserve card but is there any other way to max out the cashback or should I just book directly on United.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:04 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by roseincorvaia
I'm booking a trip for work, Business class EWR to GRU the Flight is around 8K I'm signed up for Mileage Plus and using My Sapphire Reserve card but is there any other way to max out the cashback or should I just book directly on United.
If you book anywhere but UAL.com you may be at higher risk during IRROPS.

When I traveled for work I would always to that - plus makes it easier to do expense report IMHO.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by roseincorvaia
For $25, you can join the UA Travel Club and received $5 future flight credit for each passenger booking on united.com. Not worth it for a few flights but for those who book 10-20 or more flights annually, its nice small bonus.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...om-club-q.html

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 24, 2017 at 2:22 pm Reason: noted it is for each passenger
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by jsloan

FYI: I don't know how long you have at SIN, but if you are checking luggage, current UA policy prohibits them from checking you bag through to a non-Star Alliance airline on a separate ticket. So, you will have to go through immigration and customs at SIN, pick up your bag, and then re-check it with Sri Lankan.
Thank you jsolan for the super clear description.

The UA1 flight arrives at 6:15AM and the Sri Lankan departs at 9:45AM

I've never been to Singapore airport before. Is this interval too tight for immigration, retrieving the luggage and re-checking etc? I anticipate no visa issues as I will be travelling with a US passport. Thank you.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dministrator
The UA1 flight arrives at 6:15AM and the Sri Lankan departs at 9:45AM

I've never been to Singapore airport before. Is this interval too tight for immigration, retrieving the luggage and re-checking etc? I anticipate no visa issues as I will be travelling with a US passport. Thank you.
It's more than ample time assuming anything close to an on time arrival.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I booked 4 one-way economy award tickets, but XN saver inventory was only available on the first. Can I call in and ask to waitlist for XN availability like I can waitlist for IN availability?
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by getagb
I booked 4 one-way economy award tickets, but XN saver inventory was only available on the first. Can I call in and ask to waitlist for XN availability like I can waitlist for IN availability?
What would book so you can then waitlist?

You have to have valid itin to then waitlist for another cabin or another routing.

You can not waitlist for a saver award if booked for a standard award.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:25 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold

Can I call in and ask to waitlist for XN availability like I can waitlist for IN availability?
You would have to redeposit miles, which costs money unless you are Plat or higher IIRC, and then make a fresh booking.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:39 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
What would book so you can then waitlist?

You have to have valid itin to then waitlist for another cabin or another routing.

You can not waitlist for a saver award if booked for a standard award.
I booked the standard awards for the 3 legs where no saver award was available. The trip is ORD-PDX, PDX-ORD-ROC, ROC-ORD-PDX, PDX-ORD-PIA. Only the first ORD-PDX flight had saver availability at the time I wanted.

If I wasn't already sick of ORD, I think I will be by the end of this

Originally Posted by EmailKid
You would have to redeposit miles, which costs money unless you are Plat or higher IIRC, and then make a fresh booking.
I'm 1K, so no fee. I was hoping to get 10,000 miles back if XN opened up for any of the remaining three. I've done this in the past but had to manually keep checking for XN.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:54 pm

I booked the standard awards for the 3 legs where no saver award was available.
I'm 1K, so no fee. I was hoping to get 10,000 miles back if XN opened up for any of the remaining three. I've done this in the past but had to manually keep checking for XN.
You have to continue manually looking -- no waitlist for saver if holding a standard award.

Domestically, Saver F is the same as Standard Y and while it is unusual, you can waitlist for Saver Y when in Saver F
Old Jul 26, 2017, 12:32 am

Programs: United MP Premier Gold, *A Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Earlier today when trying to find OLCI for a friend from SFO-ORD-ROC for on member (just signed up this month ) she received after checkinga free upgrade to Y+ On SFO-ORD I know this weekend when we traveled together on separate PNR's I was able to get her the companion upgrade to Y+ but for this leg we were not traveling together. Any reason why she got Y+ for free. (Was not on a Y,B fare)
Old Jul 26, 2017, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by Nick Hermann
Earlier today when trying to find OLCI for a friend from SFO-ORD-ROC for on member (just signed up this month ) she received after checkinga free upgrade to Y+ On SFO-ORD I know this weekend when we traveled together on separate PNR's I was able to get her the companion upgrade to Y+ but for this leg we were not traveling together. Any reason why she got Y+ for free. (Was not on a Y,B fare)
There have been other similiar reports of this, it is believe it is to free space in regular economy potentially due to Basic Economy passengers. Better to bump regular economy customers to E+ versus placing the Basic Economy ssengersin E+ at the gate. And it generate some good will.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 2:42 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Total UA noob question: are there any 738 birds in the UA fleet that have new (First) seats and a modern cabin? I did a Google search and only found old/worn seats/cabins.
Will fly LAX-OGG and can't decide between UA & DL (who seems to have more modern cabins on the 752 that flies this route).
Thanks.

Last edited by JohnRain; Jul 26, 2017 at 2:57 am
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:53 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I've just made a UA booking using my Air NZ Airpoints # as the FPP with a 2nd person who's got no *A status on the PNR.

As *G I get the first bag free but the wording of the booking confirmation infers (to me at least) that both passengers will get the 1st bag free.

Can anybody confirm is this is the case or whether (as expected) I'll need to pay for the bag for the 2nd pax at check-in?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.