Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2017, 9:22 am

Uncleared Upgrade with Miles Refund

i recently flew OGG-LAX-DEN and was out on the waitlist for upgrade to First with Points (27,500.) I was only cleared on the LAX-DEN (shorter) segment. I have not received points refunded yet after 5 days. How many should I be entitled to?
Old May 29, 2017, 9:53 am

Schedule change question. I'm on UA1725 from sfo-ogg on 8/31 and just got a schedule change. In my itinerary it says the metal has been changed from a 777 to a 737, however when I pull this flight up via a united search it still shows as having a 777. It this just a United systems quirkiness and the metal has been changed and should update on the main search soon, or is something else going occurring? Just want figure out what is going on before accepting the change.
Old May 29, 2017, 10:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by adamzook
i recently flew OGG-LAX-DEN and was out on the waitlist for upgrade to First with Points (27,500.) I was only cleared on the LAX-DEN (shorter) segment. I have not received points refunded yet after 5 days. How many should I be entitled to?
Technically, none.

In most instances, a MileagePlus Upgrade Award will be considered used if any segment of your travel is upgraded. However, if your travel includes requested upgrades to United PolarisSM business class or United Polaris first class, and none of the international premium segments are upgraded, then your MileagePlus Upgrade Award will not be considered used, even if you are upgraded to United First® or United Business® on another segment.
Since there is a pricing differential between the Hawaii upgrade and the LAX-DEN upgrade, you could nevertheless try asking for a refund of that differential. The precise amount depends on your fare class and can be determined by looking at the upgrade award charts on united.com.
Old May 29, 2017, 1:11 pm

Trying to fly ORD-HKG in January and trying to figure out the best chance of actually getting upgraded to J.

I could try to spend 70,000 to get a saver business award but I assume this will be nearly impossible to get. However, I was thinking I could use the "Plan B" trick to waitlist it.

I could purchase a W fare and get upgraded with a GPU from a friend who is GS if he isn't using any.

Or, I could use 30,000 miles to upgrade + copay. However, I am worried about this actually clearing on such a long flight as I have no status.

I don't really care about the return flight, and I may just fly back on Cathay in Y.
Old May 29, 2017, 1:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by noahsilv
I could purchase a W fare and get upgraded with a GPU from a friend who is GS if he isn't using any. ....
By far the best chance of occurring since GS GPUs clear into PN much more available than R space for your mileage award and likely better then I for your Plan B.
Old May 29, 2017, 1:25 pm

My only concern is that if I end up on the waitlist my GPU will clear based on my status (no status) instead of GS level whereas Plan B would be highest on the waitlist. Or should I bank on there being some PN inventory?
Old May 29, 2017, 1:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
My only concern is that if I end up on the waitlist my GPU will clear based on my status (no status) instead of GS level whereas Plan B would be highest on the waitlist. ....
That's not the way GS GPUs work.

.... Or should I bank on there being some PN inventory?
more likely than R or I. You will need to check Expert Mode inventory to see if presently available.
Old May 29, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Question on PDQ thresholds. The way things stand now with our travel plans we will each about about 45k PQM once make our last planned flights for 2017. Our spending will not make it to $6k for gold but we will have over 25K in Chase/UA spending. Is that enough to cross the gold threshhold if we add a mileage run or just spent the $600 or so to buy the PQM? I tried reading through UA's stuff on the web site and came away more confused than ever. Since we always travel together now that we are retired only one of us needs to make status. Anyone's thoughts are welcome.
Old May 29, 2017, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by gene2632
Question on PDQ thresholds. The way things stand now with our travel plans we will each about about 45k PQM once make our last planned flights for 2017. Our spending will not make it to $6k for gold but we will have over 25K in Chase/UA spending. Is that enough to cross the gold threshhold if we add a mileage run or just spent the $600 or so to buy the PQM? I tried reading through UA's stuff on the web site and came away more confused than ever. Since we always travel together now that we are retired only one of us needs to make status. Anyone's thoughts are welcome.
Yes, if you have at least $25,000 in spend on a qualifying Chase card, you are exempt from PQD requirements for all tiers except 1K. Earning 50,000 PQM by any means (including PQM purchase) while qualifying for the PQD waiver will earn you Gold.
Old May 29, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat, *A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Gold
Combining paid / award legs in same itinerary in round trip flight

Is it possible to pay for one direction of an international itinerary with miles and the other with $$$ without taking the 1-way fare penalty? I'm working on an itinerary where one direction is expensive but has good Saver Award availability, whereas the other direction is cheap (when priced as a round-trip) but has no saver availability. Can't seem to find a way on United.com, any advice or is this a lost cause?
Old May 29, 2017, 3:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by chemflyer
Is it possible to pay for one direction of an international itinerary with miles and the other with $$$ without taking the 1-way fare penalty? I'm working on an itinerary where one direction is expensive but has good Saver Award availability, whereas the other direction is cheap (when priced as a round-trip) but has no saver availability. Can't seem to find a way on United.com, any advice or is this a lost cause?
Unfortunately not possible.
Old May 29, 2017, 5:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
As Kacee noted, it's not possible, but you could either buy the roundtrip and throw away the return or use the credit for a future flight (be aware of any change fees of course). There are also certain destinations with good o/w fares on UA.com - perhaps you can route through those cities - check Google Flights.

Originally Posted by chemflyer
Old May 29, 2017, 6:21 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Thanks findark. That is what I thought but the 25K threshold for Chase was confusing me on how far up the tier chain I could go with it. No way we can go above gold and there is no real benefit for us since we are now just vacation travelers.
Old May 30, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: oneworld Rusty Iron; Starwood Aluminum
Is the domestic award calendar delayed by ~3 days vs international destinations that are direct? I can book ORD to Asia as late as May 2, 2018, but an initial positioning flight to ORD is unavailable (furthest out being April 29, 2018). What's the deal with that?

I called UA and 1 rep said I could still book it, another said since it's not available on their end, they can't book it either.
Old May 30, 2017, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by elsenor
Is the domestic award calendar delayed by ~3 days vs international destinations that are direct? I can book ORD to Asia as late as May 2, 2018, but an initial positioning flight to ORD is unavailable (furthest out being April 29, 2018). What's the deal with that?

I called UA and 1 rep said I could still book it, another said since it's not available on their end, they can't book it either.
United flights are loaded into the schedule with only full fare inventory (F/FN, J/JN, Y/YN, B). After a few days they level out to a "standard" load. Star Alliance partners don't follow the same schedule, so I'm guessing your "ORD to Asia" flights you see are not on UA metal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.