Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Brennan Vincent
I requested an upgrade with miles on a round-trip flight. One leg has R fare inventory available; the other doesn't.

My upgrade still hasn't cleared (I requested it about an hour ago), even on the flight with available R inventory. Why is this?
The upgrades are generally instantaneous with the request.
What did the screen say at time of request?
Is your segment showing waitlisted?
Is R still showing?
Is this by chance a 3-class aircraft on domestic route, such as PS?
Have you called?

Sorry for all the questions for this is unusual but there are some strange corner cases.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 20, 2017 at 4:56 pm Reason: rephrased
Old Jan 20, 2017, 6:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Brennan Vincent
I requested an upgrade with miles on a round-trip flight. One leg has R fare inventory available; the other doesn't.

My upgrade still hasn't cleared (I requested it about an hour ago), even on the flight with available R inventory. Why is this?
It should clear instantly. Suggest you call.

(note that if the itinerary involves a ps flight operated by a 772, the expert mode R display is erroneous (credit to findark on this one)).
Old Jan 21, 2017, 4:31 am

I will be losing GS at the end of this month. If I book award travel now and confirm a GPU for later this year, would the GPU still hold for any rescheduling or other changes I may make to the award flight while I'm a 1K?
Old Jan 21, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by acousticbiker
I will be losing GS at the end of this month. If I book award travel now and confirm a GPU for later this year, would the GPU still hold for any rescheduling or other changes I may make to the award flight while I'm a 1K?
UA will generally honor confirmed upgrades on UA caused changes but on voluntary changes, you will likely be treated based on your status at time of change.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Does anyone know if you can check in for the SIN-SFO flight without having to go landside? I am looking at booking CMB-SIN on a different airline, and then SIN-SFO-EWR on UA - but would very much prefer not having to go airside due to visa issues (friend I am looking for holds a passport that requires a visa for traveling virtually anywhere).
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: N/A
Hi all,

Looking to see if I can utilize the 15x portal bonus on giftcards for Nike/Saks/Neiman Marcus. Seems like a great redemption even if I can get 90% of my value on GCs.

Thanks!
Old Jan 22, 2017, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by JBG89
Hi all,

Looking to see if I can utilize the 15x portal bonus on giftcards for Nike/Saks/Neiman Marcus. Seems like a great redemption even if I can get 90% of my value on GCs.

Thanks!
I am pretty sure the rules of MP Shopping explicitly rule out getting credit towards purchasing gift cards. For example, this is in the footnotes of the Nike link:

Not eligible on gift cards, gift certificates or any other similar cash equivalents.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 1:22 pm

Award Holds

Dont see the "Reserve" button anymore on UA/partner award. Paypal work around still function?
Old Jan 23, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
I have booked on a single PNR AKL-LAX (PE on NZ), LAX-MTJ (via DEN on UA First), DEN-AKL (Via SFO on UA & NZ in Y). The top half off the image is my baggage allowance as shown on the UA website, but when I click “view receipt”, it shows a differing baggage allowance for the economy flight home (only 1 bag). I suspect the “receipt” allowance of only one bag is correct, but just wanted to check and ask why the discrepancy?
Additionally, why is it showing Premier Access for the return flights? These are in Y and I have no status.
Attached Images  
Old Jan 23, 2017, 5:19 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K, United 1K
Sorry my search to this question came up empty. I was booked on a United connecting flight from ATL to LAX yesterday evening, but was then rebooked on a Delta flight by a premier phone agent due to the ground stop and severe weather. Will I still be able to get my United metal PQM and PQD for this? Thanks
Old Jan 23, 2017, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by PandaMVP
Sorry my search to this question came up empty. I was booked on a United connecting flight from ATL to LAX yesterday evening, but was then rebooked on a Delta flight by a premier phone agent due to the ground stop and severe weather. Will I still be able to get my United metal PQM and PQD for this? Thanks
Yes, call in and request Original Routing Credit (ORC). It will take some time to post (IME, ~2 weeks), but you should get it (along with the RDM).
Old Jan 23, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K, United 1K
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Yes, call in and request Original Routing Credit (ORC). It will take some time to post (IME, ~2 weeks), but you should get it (along with the RDM).
Got it. Thank you!
Old Jan 23, 2017, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Anyone have any luck with the LH lounge dragons in FRA and the United Digital card? I know they used to be sticklers for having the actual card, darn whatever the boarding pass said.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by PandaMVP
Likely yes, but it will take a manual request. See the wiki of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ng-merged.html for the process.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by HGHUA
Anyone have any luck with the LH lounge dragons in FRA and the United Digital card? I know they used to be sticklers for having the actual card, darn whatever the boarding pass said.
BP will usually work as usually will the UA app digital card but it is always best to have the physical card (it is also tight this time of year of getting the card in time while traveling in early February).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.