Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]

Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Last year's thread United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2016]
And earlier United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. I think I deserve something from UA -- whom do I contact?

- Flight attendants: get compensation onboard for aircraft/inflight-related items. (NEW)
- 1K/GS: Contact UA via the emails on the back of your MP card.
- Other UA Elites: PremierVoice
- All others (including all non-UA elites): Customer Care

Except for a few exceptions (see below), UA is under NO OBLIGATION to provide compensation but may instead provide a goodwill gesture as an appreciation.

2. What is the Customer Appreciation website?

It is a website dedicated by UA for proactive compensation/goodwill offer.

If you have been:
a. Told inflight to go to this website/Received e-mails from Proactive Recovery Operations Team
b. Received a "We are sorry for the inconvenience" card.

You should go to the website and claim your offer first before contacting Customer Care.

3. What do I get if UA decides to provide me the compensation/goodwill gesture?

UA's compensation/goodwill gesture generally will be provided in a form of ETCs or miles based on your elite status. Currently, the ETCs and miles offered maintains 2 cpm ratio ($50 ETC =2,500 miles).

4. Should I take miles or ETCs, and which one is better?

It is a personal preference on how you use the miles/ETCs.

Miles don't expire if you have account activity at least once every 18 months or have a qualified Chase UA-branded credit card. ETCs have a 1-year validity from initial issuance and can be used on flights operated by UA or as UA Express ONLY

Miles are likely to provided greater value than 2 cpm for those booking international premium cabins. ETCs might have greater value for domestic trips. For example, a $100 ETC may be sufficient enough to cover much of the cost of your future trip, its equivalent miles (5,000 miles) does not. And the ETC trip will earn PQDs (no value subtraction), PQM/Ss & RDMs. See Consolidated "Various tips for using an electronic certificate (TCVA & 016)" [Merged] for detail.

5. What recourse do I have other than Customer Care?

You should consider everything with Customer Care is final. However, if you want to push further, you can try emailing UA executives (including the CEO). UA is known to respond customers' emails.

UA's Executive Contacts (Credited to Christopher Elliott)

6. What about DOT?

If you believe your issues may fall within the jurisdiction of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), contact DOT via the Air Travel Complaint - Comment Form.

NOTE - What the DOT does is to refer your complaint to UA and require UA to respond. DOT does not handle complaints unless they involve in violating DOT regulations.

7. What about if I have been "Involuntary Denied Boarding" (IDB) by UA?

See Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

8. What if I get downgraded (traveling in a lower cabin then I was booked)?

See Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.) [2016]

9. What about baggage claim?

Contact Baggage Resolution Service Center

10. What about if I have a EC261/2004 claim against UA?

See Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United?
Print Wikipost

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]

Old Apr 15, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver
7,500 mies/$150 (UA appreciation re: cancelled flight?)

Fellow FlyerTalkers,
My flight BRU-ORD was cancelled due to mechanical issues. My only option was to take the same flight 24 hours later.
I was emailed a choice of 7,500 or $150 cert through united.com/appreciation.
Does that seem low or on par with what you have experienced?
If so, any luck in negotiating a better "appreciation" amount?

(This is not in regards to compensation re: EU 261).
Thanks!
greene

I have Silver on UA.

Last edited by greene; Apr 15, 2017 at 2:25 pm Reason: added question mark
Old Apr 15, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
5 and a half hour delay LAS-SFO yesterday. Long day at the airport for the 4 of us

Two 1K's are getting a choice of 5,000 miles or $100 ETC, and two general members get 3,750 miles or $75 ETC's.

Not sure which to go for. Question for the group - if I go for all the ETC's can I use them all to apply to a single ticket from my account, or are they tied to account holders directly?

If I can combine them into one transaction, then I'll almost certainly go for the $.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 2:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Two cents per mile, with the US$150 presumably expiring in one year? Can you use the cert? How much value ton you get for miles?

This delay should be subject to the EC261 mandated compensation regulation. Don't forget to request it. Were you notified about this in BRU?

It sounds to me like UA has given you a voluntary customer service gesture as a Silver. Perhaps it's a new day for UA.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cricketer
Not sure which to go for. Question for the group - if I go for all the ETC's can I use them all to apply to a single ticket from my account, or are they tied to account holders directly?
ETCs can be used by anyone who knows the TVC PIN and the passenger's last name. However, only one can be used per passenger per itinerary. So, if you are taking another trip for four, you can apply one ETC for each passenger. If you're trying to combine them for use by a single passenger, you can't do that.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 3:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cricketer
Not sure which to go for.
I'm guessing the ETCs will be more useful than having miles spread out among four accounts, especially since two are non-elite accounts.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jsloan
ETCs can be used by anyone who knows the TVC PIN and the passenger's last name. However, only one can be used per passenger per itinerary. So, if you are taking another trip for four, you can apply one ETC for each passenger. If you're trying to combine them for use by a single passenger, you can't do that.
Thanks - that's precisely what I wanted to understand.

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm guessing the ETCs will be more useful than having miles spread out among four accounts, especially since two are non-elite accounts.
Yep - even if I don't use all four ETC's, still feels more useful than 5K miles on my 500K balance, or 3.75K miles on 50K balances. None of us will be tipped over to a useful award with this extra bump either.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 8:06 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
$150 ETC for non-functional IFE on IAH-GCM. 1MM Gold in paid F.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: UA 1k MM, HHonors Diamond
DCA/IAH/LAX Used RPU, in F from DCA 90 minute MX resulting in later flight to LAX landing after mignight and losing upgrade. In addition, DCA/IAH a lunch flight where the FA announced that meals were not loaded and only "cheese and crackers" aboard.

$300 ETC. Waste of RPU considering no food and original seat 7A much more legroom than F in EMB175

Last edited by sgfood; Apr 16, 2017 at 8:36 am Reason: aircraft type
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:46 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
No status. Bought an $89 upgrade at check in for RDU-IAH. The route is supposed to have a meal but no meals were catered. We weren't told this until after take off. Wrote in last Saturday, today I got an email saying they couldn't give me a refund but would give me a voucher for $89. I guess that's fair.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by CMK10
No status. Bought an $89 upgrade at check in for RDU-IAH. The route is supposed to have a meal but no meals were catered. We weren't told this until after take off. Wrote in last Saturday, today I got an email saying they couldn't give me a refund but would give me a voucher for $89. I guess that's fair.
Ahh the bane of 1K'ers... the TOD.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
$250 ETC for no wifi/personal entertainment on PS flight. 1K, Y.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 7:40 pm

Programs: United 1MM
Received a $300 compensation offer for the below flight cancellation. I wrote back and said it was unacceptable and was given 7500 miles as a sorry, and they're re-evaluating my request. FYI, I've been mainly Gold/1P (with two 1K's and a Platinum) for the last 14 years and am at 950K lifetime miles.

Was on UA98 LAX-MEL on 31st March that was cancelled due to a double mechanical failure (which means, we were mildly delayed while they were fixing the plane in the hangar, they said they fixed it and brought the plane from the hangar to the gate where we boarded, and then there was yet another mechanical failure and not enough time to fix it as the crew timed out).

A 10:30pm flight resulted in finally getting into my hotel room at 2:30am with all the time sitting on the plane and the long queues (lines) afterwards to get a hotel room and re-ticketing. Instead of arriving in MEL on Sunday morning and having a rest day before work on Monday, I arrived Monday morning, showered and was straight to work. Completely screwed my week too.

I told them that I've been given $200 for a broken IFE in the past. How did they get $300 for a 24-hour cancellation with hours of waiting/queuing? Add in that I started that day at BWI and they had an overbooking issue where they were desperate to get volunteers (at least 5 or 6 announcement requests), and the offer must have been $500+ by the end.

Apparently, an abnormal number of MEL-LAX and SYD-LAX (or reverse routes) cancelled lately. Perhaps the low compensation might be due to them having to give out so much.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 8:12 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by briank1973
Received a $300 compensation offer for the below flight cancellation. I wrote back and said it was unacceptable and was given 7500 miles as a sorry, and they're re-evaluating my request. FYI, I've been mainly Gold/1P (with two 1K's and a Platinum) for the last 14 years and am at 950K lifetime miles.

Was on UA98 LAX-MEL on 31st March that was cancelled due to a double mechanical failure ....
Apparently, an abnormal number of MEL-LAX and SYD-LAX (or reverse routes) cancelled lately. Perhaps the low compensation might be due to them having to give out so much.
By this logic, the worse the service gets, the less compensation United would offer, because they have to recover from more and more snafu's. I don't think that's the way that their service recovery program works.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:28 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by thejaredhuang
Ahh the bane of 1K'ers... the TOD.
In my defense it was a Saturday 6 AM flight, all upgrades cleared, there was one empty seat and one non-rev in F
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
PDX-ORD flight was about 30 minutes late, arriving ~30 minutes prior to my scheduled departure. Sprinted to the next gate for my flight home to DCA. It was not listed as delayed, but boarding had not yet started. Everyone boarded, then they announced mechanical issue. We sit and wait, then they tell us to get off and head to another gate for a different plane. That plane had not yet arrived. Ultimately landed arrived at DCA 1.5-2 hours late, but it was a difference of 12am and 1:30am, so it's not like I had plans. The bigger problem was the poor communication.

Submitted the online form. UA gold, received 7500 miles. My boss is silver and initially received 2000. After she complained, they upped it to 5000.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.