Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated cancelled/delayed domestic flights [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated cancelled/delayed domestic flights [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2017, 6:05 am

EWR-GSP (04/05/17) cancelled due to weather. Put on standby for the 0825 (the next day)flight but not looking good. Next flight out is at 1435. Already missed a meeting with a client.

Edit:I was booked into Y class (Originally Q). Will that change anything PQM wise?
Old Apr 6, 2017, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Patrick Zhang
EWR-GSP (04/05/17) cancelled due to weather. Put on standby for the 0825 (the next day)flight but not looking good. Next flight out is at 1435. Already missed a meeting with a client.

Edit:I was booked into Y class (Originally Q). Will that change anything PQM wise?
If it sticks, you would earn 1.5x on both PQM and PQS. Doesn't change anything on PQD.

Good luck.

Last edited by goodeats21; Apr 6, 2017 at 6:25 am Reason: Fixed typo: PQM->PQD
Old Apr 6, 2017, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21
If it sticks, you would earn 1.5x on both PQM and PQS. Doesn't change anything on PQM.

Good luck.
Thanks for the info. Gate agent just told me that it was oversold as well so my chances look even slimmer. Would calling the 1K line be my best bet? What other options could I have to get into the general area? I was thinking going through ATL.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Thanks for the info. Gate agent just told me that it was oversold as well so my chances look even slimmer. Would calling the 1K line be my best bet? What other options could I have to get into the general area? I was thinking going through ATL.
Yes, I would be calling the 1K line. Charlotte is probably the most logical alternate airport with decent frequency. Would that work? Maybe see if the 1k line can put you on OAL?
Old Apr 6, 2017, 7:40 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Wicked winds not so much

At EWR now and doesn't appear to be too bad here.

I am trying to fly to ORD and was surprised to see the 8AM departure delayed until 9AM due to ATC. It is a 777, which I thought would be at the top of the priority list.

Seems to be ORD issue though. From FAA site:

**Added: And now the 777 is 4 hours delayed...now leaving at Noon.
Must be some wicked wind in Chicago.
My flight UA 3517 ORD-DFW EMB175 first delayed by 25 minutes, then cancelled. Winds are only N17 and forecast N25 by noon. Original
Wind forecast was real strong. Damn preemptive BS. AA/DL flying out on schedule with slight delays. Overblown BS. Mainline pilot who just landed and I were talking about it on our way out of the airport.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 8:36 am

Yes, I would be calling the 1K line. Charlotte is probably the most logical alternate airport with decent frequency. Would that work? Maybe see if the 1k line can put you on OAL?
Well there was a big change of plans. There was only one spot available so I let my co-worker go and I will fly back to PEK today. I was wondering what would happen to my PQM/PQD since my original itinerary was to go from EWR-GSP and then ATL-PEK via EWR? (I know not technically domestic)
Old Apr 6, 2017, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well there was a big change of plans. There was only one spot available so I let my co-worker go and I will fly back to PEK today. I was wondering what would happen to my PQM/PQD since my original itinerary was to go from EWR-GSP and then ATL-PEK via EWR? (I know not technically domestic)
You should be able to claim credit for the flights not taken. You can send an email to 1k voice to ask for it.

Relevant thread here: Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Merged)
Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
At EWR now and doesn't appear to be too bad here.

I am trying to fly to ORD and was surprised to see the 8AM departure delayed until 9AM due to ATC. It is a 777, which I thought would be at the top of the priority list.

Seems to be ORD issue though. From FAA site:

**Added: And now the 777 is 4 hours delayed...now leaving at Noon.
Must be some wicked wind in Chicago.
Flight to MIA is delayed almost 3 hours...late inbound flight due to late inbound crew. One more delay and I'm eating the ticket...had to be down there for something tonight.

It probably would have been better if my colleagues had taken my advice about flying yesterday night. Oh well...
Old Apr 6, 2017, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
while weather might be bad, UA as usual has a good share of homemade issues that are adding to the disaster on the East coast
A few selected examples

UA1888 SFO-EWR 752 3h40 and counting late due to aircraft maintenance
UA1268 BOS-EWR 739 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
UA1202 EWR-BOS 729 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
UA4308 PVD-EWR E145 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
Old Apr 6, 2017, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by cfischer
while weather might be bad, UA as usual has a good share of homemade issues that are adding to the disaster on the East coast
A few selected examples

UA1888 SFO-EWR 752 3h40 and counting late due to aircraft maintenance
UA1268 BOS-EWR 739 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
UA1202 EWR-BOS 729 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
UA4308 PVD-EWR E145 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
The weather was pretty crummy until around 5:30 PM in NYC - when it cleared up and looked gorgeous until the sun set. A colleague was flying LGA-MIA at 1:30 PM (basically same time as my original flight) and was delayed 1+ hour for boarding, then sat on the tarmac for ~1.5 hours before taking off. Ironically enough, their return tomorrow AM (MIA-LGA) is cancelled already, for whatever reason, on AA.

At least for me - I had to be somewhere in Miami at 7:30 PM. I only took off for EWR when it still showed a ~3:40pm departure. After staying in the lounge a little, it got pushed to 4:40pm. Went to the gate, tried to VDB (offering $500 - they already had enough), then cancelled itinerary outright as it was pouring and they were still deplaning at 4:20pm. The plane ended up pushing back shortly before 6 and will arrive at ~9:15...would have been a complete waste of time.

Of course, NJT was running on a different schedule than the website, so I got to stand at the AirTrain stop for 40(!) minutes. Really wish I had looked more closely; otherwise I would've parked myself at the beer garden in C3 and had a beer or two.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 8:02 pm

UA3452 EWR-MSY canceled due to aircraft maintenance

My daughter and her fiancee were on that flight and just wasted 4-5 hours hoping to get standby on the next flight to no avail. United says they can't book them until Saturday afternoon and they would then be returning Monday morning! What is their best option?
Old Apr 6, 2017, 8:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by howahya
UA3452 EWR-MSY canceled due to aircraft maintenance

My daughter and her fiancee were on that flight and just wasted 4-5 hours hoping to get standby on the next flight to no avail. United says they can't book them until Saturday afternoon and they would then be returning Monday morning! What is their best option?
Ask for routing via different airline (best to do some research; provide a routing that works for you and is available)

or

Declare a Trip-in-Vain and get a full refund with no penalty.

Generally neither will be provide pro-actively but the agent should handle this once prompted.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 8:55 pm

Unfortunately, all the other airlines are booked too, through most of the weekend.

Are there any legal chits that can be requested considering so much time will be lost?

Update - they are flying out in the morning to Houston where they will transfer.

Their original flight was cancelled due to "air traffic control conditions impacting our flight operations". WTH is that? An airport that is too busy?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 6, 2017 at 10:29 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 6, 2017, 10:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... Are there any legal chits that can be requested considering so much time will be lost? ...
Not sure what you mean by "legal chits?"

... Their original flight was cancelled due to "air traffic control conditions impacting our flight operations". WTH is that? An airport that is too busy?
UA is stating Air Traffic Control imposed restrictions on landings and departures effecting UA operations --- as such, this is considered an event outside of UA's control and therefore UA generally will not provide any "compensation" especially for those originating from their home airport (as they can go home to wait out the delay).

EWR (and LGA/JGK) has been under a FAA Traffic Management Program for most of the day (and still is).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 6, 2017 at 10:49 pm Reason: EWR ATCSCC ADVISORIES FOR Thursday, 04-06-2017
Old Apr 7, 2017, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Significant delays into the NYC area (LGA and EWR) tonight at least for the UAx flights from RDU.

At least at the moment we are still scheduled to go out - DL has had to actually cancel a couple.

Unfortunately no alcoholic drinks can be served while we sit, apparently it's not permitted while sitting in the penalty box.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.