Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
I'm guessing you're booked on UA1444-UA1198. The $202 upgrade price is the present fare difference between H and P, so that's the standard offer. On the MCI-ORD flight they may sell a few last minute first class seats to some business person who needs to be in Chicago Monday morning, then give what's left as free upgrades for elite/business travelers, so I would not expect a different price for that leg.

On ORD-CUN it's less likely to have business travelers buying into first, so UA may cut the upgrade price for the last 6-7 Business Class seats for sale (J7 JN6 C6 D6 Z6 ZN6 P6 PN6) at check in to lure vacationers interested in splurging (present H->P fare difference is $119), but then you're competing with a full plane of people, some of whom may get lower offers because they have different fares. Plus, once you're checked in from MCI they may not offer you a different upgrade price from ORD, or at least you'll have to go look for it.

If $404 is worth getting free checked bags, Premier Access, avoiding a full 737-900 economy cabin (not a very comfortable place to be), enjoying the United Club for your long layover in ORD (the renovated ones in the B Concourse are nice, the one in C isn't, if it's even open), and thus feeling like you're starting your vacation early, might as well take this offer. If you are fine with your economy seat assignments and can think of better things to do with some or all of that money, then roll the dice.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:26 am

Booked award ticket for flying SFO > EWR > MXP. I was offered EWR>MXP to polaris for $849 cash, turned it down. I see the flight still has 25% of the seats available in E-, 85% in E+, does that mean the price might come down even more? They are currently pretty reasonable at $110 (same for the 5 hour as the 8 hour flight), but I am thinking to wait till 9-12 hours prior to see if it will change. What do you guys think?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by mattack4000
Booked award ticket for flying SFO > EWR > MXP. I was offered EWR>MXP to polaris for $849 cash, turned it down. I see the flight still has 25% of the seats available in E-, 85% in E+, does that mean the price might come down even more? They are currently pretty reasonable at $110 (same for the 5 hour as the 8 hour flight), but I am thinking to wait till 9-12 hours prior to see if it will change. What do you guys think?
It won't come down any further.

David
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
I booked a flight this morning for October DEN-SLC. I usually get an offer for upgrade at time of booking, but nothing this time. Are they starting to cut back on these time-of-booking offers?

By the way, I did not book BE.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:26 am

Wow you all are so amazing. Thank you very much. I think I'll pull the trigger on the total of $404. After the perks of lounge/drinks/baggage/comfort it may darn well be worth it. You are correct, I will be on UA1444 and UA1198 on 7/24.

Side note, is everything complimentary in the united lounge, or is it just access to the lounge and you pay for food/drinks?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Revo KC
is everything complimentary in the united lounge, or is it just access to the lounge and you pay for food/drinks?
There are snacks and drinks. The free alcoholic beverages are the cheapest available - think the kind of drinks a college student could afford.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1k, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Revo KC

Side note, is everything complimentary in the united lounge, or is it just access to the lounge and you pay for food/drinks?

Premium wines, beer, and liquor are pay...but they do offer complementary versions and all the food/snacks/newspapers/etc are included
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by DELee
It won't come down any further.

David
Even for E+ or just polaris? I am not expecting Polaris to come down, was hoping E+ will come down a little more
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by mattack4000
Even for E+ or just polaris? I am not expecting Polaris to come down, was hoping E+ will come down a little more
Both. Or neither. It would be nice but I have not seen E+ change in price when I've had others in my family not on my PNR so they didn't inherit my status.

David
Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The free alcoholic beverages are the cheapest available - think the kind of drinks a college student could afford.
A bit OT, but that's no longer the case; the liquor was upgraded several months ago from bottom-shelf rotgut to perfectly drinkable if undistinguished brands. In a mixed drink you'll never notice the difference. And the complimentary sparkling wine they serve is perfectly pleasant. Far better, in fact, than what you get onboard.

IMO the only alcohol you'd want to pay to upgrade is their absurdly limited complimentary beer selection. I steer clear of beer in the UC for that very reason.

(And OP, just FYI, it's still good practice to tip $1 per drink in domestic UCs even if the drink is on the house.)
Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
A bit OT, but that's no longer the case; the liquor was upgraded several months ago from bottom-shelf rotgut to perfectly drinkable if undistinguished brands. In a mixed drink you'll never notice the difference. And the complimentary sparkling wine they serve is perfectly pleasant. Far better, in fact, than what you get onboard.

IMO the only alcohol you'd want to pay to upgrade is their absurdly limited complimentary beer selection. I steer clear of beer in the UC for that very reason.

(And OP, just FYI, it's still good practice to tip $1 per drink in domestic UCs even if the drink is on the house.)
Have to agree here. The house liquors are perfectly fine at the UC now. No more plastic jugs of frat house booze.

And agree the complimentary beer choices are weak.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
I booked a flight this morning for October DEN-SLC. I usually get an offer for upgrade at time of booking, but nothing this time. Are they starting to cut back on these time-of-booking offers?

By the way, I did not book BE.
It is not always offered. Don't think there is any fundamental change.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I would also echo this.

2 bags x 70 lbs each. Versus $25 for 1st bag and $40 for the 2nd bag (50 lbs).

Lounge access - though not sure which flights OP is taking, some have only a 50 minute connection, and that's not a lot of time, especially if crossing concourses.

Boarding Group 1. This is super worth it on the second ORD-CUN flights - which are just a nightmare of people trying to carry on massive bags.

Priority Security. Probably not that critical but it helps out of MCI.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:38 pm

Wait..... People are tipping $1 per drink in the UC? I can understand that for a mixed drink, but to pour a beer?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by shimps1
Wait..... People are tipping $1 per drink in the UC? I can understand that for a mixed drink, but to pour a beer?
I do, although their complimentary beer selection is so wretched that I never drink beer there. Based on my casual observations I'd say about 2/3 of people do, but it's heavily dependent on the city.

But we're veering OT.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.