Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2017, 9:35 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
SFO-HNL

SFO-HNL K fare

RPU applied on purchase 2 months out did not clear!
#2 on upgrade list with 2 seats available. One at this special price.
<2 hours preflight

Offer to purchase upgrade----> $99.00

I bought it or someone else would have. RPUs have not cleared at all for me this year. I still have 10 in my account with one more returned from this flight.
Old May 19, 2017, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by InterPlace55
Called them, they checked and said that they could do it but with a $75 change fee tacked on, told them that I never got to the checkout screen, got transferred to a web support/higher up, they were able to process that $55 upgrade with no change fee.

Bonus part since it was a paid upgrade, the new ticket rebooked as a P fare so double PQM from that flight. Nothing too big, but can go a long way.
^
Old May 19, 2017, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Pat89339
SFO-HNL K fare

<2 hours preflight

I bought it or someone else would have. RPUs have not cleared at all for me this year. I still have 10 in my account with one more returned from this flight.
Lay flat or recliner? That price (on a K fare!) is reminiscent of the old real tens-of-dollars days.
Old May 19, 2017, 10:53 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by prometa
Lay flat or recliner? That price (on a K fare!) is reminiscent of the old real tens-of-dollars days.

It was the old recliner. I was surprised to see there are two still in service.
Old May 20, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K
EWR-BRU B764 J9R6 about a week out to departure.

$829 offered on a K fare at checkin - did not accept.

Price remained at $829 until T-1, with 9 seats open until boarding. J cabin filled up with standbys/upgrades instead.
Old May 21, 2017, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
SFO-MSP, L fare, fare difference at booking $199 (F9 PN9 R0): offered $199 at booking
MSP-SFO, L fare, fare difference at booking $199 (F9 P9 PN0): offered $199 at booking

Declined both. A bit edgy to roll the dice for upgrades (return is an RPU), but figure I might try to extract some value from this whole "Premier 1K" thing. Estimate my odds are pretty good though.
Old May 21, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: AS (MVP), UA (silver), AA, DL, Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by DELee
DIA = Denver?

David
Ya...For 24 hours I got my airport code for denver confused....Didn't help that google accepts DIA as Denver international airport...Oopps.
Old May 21, 2017, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by a330marcus
EWR-BRU B764 J9R6 about a week out to departure.

$829 offered on a K fare at checkin - did not accept.

Price remained at $829 until T-1, with 9 seats open until boarding. J cabin filled up with standbys/upgrades instead.
Just out of curiosity, how do you know that some of those who filled the open J seats didn't accept the $829 offer?? That price seems to be a common one offered on TATLs recently, and the economics of it actually look pretty good if you were waitlisted with a mileage award upgrade of $550 copay plus 20,000 miles which now often doesn't clear. That is, anyone willing to pay $550 plus 20K miles probably should be willing to pay $829 and no miles, and jump the entire waitlist, including 1Ks on GPUs, instantly.
Old May 21, 2017, 6:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Wow. That's a great value on that flight and just a fraction of your fare differential to an A or P.
Old May 21, 2017, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
Wow. That's a great value on that flight and just a fraction of your fare differential to an A or P.
Pat89339, did you get refared into P/A or just R/PN?
Old May 21, 2017, 6:48 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Starman
Just out of curiosity, how do you know that some of those who filled the open J seats didn't accept the $829 offer?? That price seems to be a common one offered on TATLs recently, and the economics of it actually look pretty good if you were waitlisted with a mileage award upgrade of $550 copay plus 20,000 miles which now often doesn't clear. That is, anyone willing to pay $550 plus 20K miles probably should be willing to pay $829 and no miles, and jump the entire waitlist, including 1Ks on GPUs, instantly.
I totally agree with your statement. On a TATL trip recently, two months before my trip, I was offered the chance of an upgrade using 20,000 miles and $550 copay. But when I tried to get that, it was only the chance to be put on the wait list for the upgrade. I did not take it because I only take the upgrade if I know that there are good seats left. Every so often, I kept checking if the upgrade would open directly but up to one day before the flight it was still to be put on the wait list. At check-in, my wife saw that there was an offer for upgrade for $829. She saw that there were still good seats left (we like aisle seats) so she took the offer.
Old May 21, 2017, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by pfpdx
Ya...For 24 hours I got my airport code for denver confused....Didn't help that google accepts DIA as Denver international airport...Oopps.
Everyone in Denver calls it DIA.
Old May 21, 2017, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
When the price is really material -- such as $1200 on SFO-HKG for C to F -- to not get any miles for it is a real negative to me. It really is approaching paying the F fare in some circumstances.
which is the way it should be because in that situation the traveler chose not to buy F in the first place. these TOD / buy up offers all need to be made more reasonable to market prices, or they should clear the wait list at least for GPU/RPU/MUA before auctioning off seats.
Old May 21, 2017, 10:50 pm

SFO-HNL K fare

<2 hours preflight

that is just nonsense that you'd have to let earned RPU's expire and pay $99 more because of this ridiculous system. +1 to my above post on clearing the waitlist for RPU first.
Old May 22, 2017, 12:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Xerinax
that is just nonsense that you'd have to let earned RPU's expire and pay $99 more because of this ridiculous system. +1 to my above post on clearing the waitlist for RPU first.
That's not how UA does it. The brave new world is, if you're offered a cheap buy-up with an instrument waitlisted, you pay the fee or die on the waitlist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.