Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase to Day of Departure (TOD)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA will generally offer cash upgrades from any non-Basic Economy fare for UA operated flights, these can be offered:
- At the time of purchase
- Before travel in the itinerary view
- At check-in (computer, smartphone, airport)
- You can inquire with an agent anytime (including at the gate)
The price can vary, as it appears multiple processes are used -- occasionally yielding strangely high offers. Always cross-check on what the fare difference (up fare) might be and consider instead Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Awards tickets may be offered similar cash upgrade but generally only at check-in (Aug 2022 update, frequent reports of award ticket cash upgrade offers; at booking, after booking and check-in. Unclear under what conditions.

For Check-in offers, these can vary post initial check-in, so check back closer to departure.

Such upgrades will be eligible for all the benefits of a premium cabin ticket, UA makes no distinction on how a passenger premium cabin ticket was obtained.

Generally, fees for upgrades are non-refundable if you voluntarily cancel. If UA cancels or fails to provide the upgrade, the fees will be refunded. On voluntary changes, the agent may transfer to the changes flight but that is not standard policy.

True up-fares (ADD/COLLECT) are transferable if the appropriate inventory space is available.

Fees paid for upgrades now {2020) earn PQPs
Will the upgrade earn PQDs or bonus PQMs see the wiki of Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON"T!
On how pricing is structured, see A Comprehensive Look at Domestic First Class Monetization (FCM) on United

Previous Threads:
UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

2016 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2015 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2014 Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU) Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)
2013 "Upsell Offers to Business/First (UFC/PCU)" Questions/Discussion (Paid Upgrades)

Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase to Day of Departure (TOD)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2023, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jackk763 (Post # 1896)
Just bought up ORD-LAS for $300 36 hours before departure. It was asking for $800+ a few days ago. Was 40th on the upgrade list as a silver. Probably a waste of money.
That is a good investment if you need the PQP to requalify as a UA MileagePlus™ Premier Silver member.
Warriorconcept likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 12:15 pm

I purchased a cash economy ticket AKL-SFO. There's space available to confirm premium plus upgrade immediately, or do a copay for business class upgrade. If I confirm the PP upgrade with points only, will UA offer me a cash price to upgrade to Polaris at the time of check in if space is available and there's no one on the waitlist? AKL-SFO, T minus 3 weeks and it seems like an empty plane (only 35ish seats selected in economy on a 772 - I understand this doesn't correlate to bookings but every other flight that week has at least 1/2 full economy; only 20ish seats selected in J).
Old Oct 11, 2023, 9:21 am

Programs: AA PLT (MM), UA 1K, Marriott Ti, IHG Diamond
I mostly fly domestic, but will be doing some summer travel internationally to Europe and am wondering what's the lowest people have seen for an IAD-CDG (or similar) one way Polaris upgrade from Economy? For my tickets next July it's showing ~$3,000 one way for Polaris (and ~$2,000 for premium plus). This is for a booking of 4 tickets together, so it's showing that price for each person.
I know it varies from person to person and I'm sure since I'm 1K United is rewarding me with a special deal of twice the price, but curious what the low water mark is on these international Polaris upgrades.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Krivad
I purchased a cash economy ticket AKL-SFO. There's space available to confirm premium plus upgrade immediately, or do a copay for business class upgrade. If I confirm the PP upgrade with points only, will UA offer me a cash price to upgrade to Polaris at the time of check in if space is available and there's no one on the waitlist? AKL-SFO, T minus 3 weeks and it seems like an empty plane (only 35ish seats selected in economy on a 772 - I understand this doesn't correlate to bookings but every other flight that week has at least 1/2 full economy; only 20ish seats selected in J).
Maybe? In general, UA likes cash -- and it might not even matter if there are people on the waitlist or not. However, the buy-up amount would probably be more than the co-pay amount.

Originally Posted by technique
I know it varies from person to person and I'm sure since I'm 1K United is rewarding me with a special deal of twice the price, but curious what the low water mark is on these international Polaris upgrades.
I've seen reports of TATL Polaris upgrades at $700-$800 if inventory is open enough.
technique likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
Maybe? In general, UA likes cash -- and it might not even matter if there are people on the waitlist or not. However, the buy-up amount would probably be more than the co-pay amount.
Thanks, will probably just do the 30k+$600 upgrade.
jsloan likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan

I've seen reports of TATL Polaris upgrades at $700-$800 if inventory is open enough.
$599 IAD-LHR, but that's a bit of a different sort of route compared to others further into Europe.
jsloan and technique like this.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by slariz
$599 IAD-LHR, but that's a bit of a different sort of route compared to others further into Europe.
I'd take that offer without even thinking about it, even if it were the daytime IAD-LHR flight.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 1:16 pm

Anyone know loadfactors on IAD-AMM? Hoping it sticks around, although it seems quite niche.
Old Oct 22, 2023, 8:09 am

Programs: UA1K
I'm on the upgrade waitlist through miles + co-pay on both ways of a RT international flight. Can I cancel the upgrade request on the outbound (no chance of clearing based on where I sit on the upgrade list) and still see DOD upgrade offers? Or do I need to cancel the upgrade both ways and re-request later for the return?

eta: Any DPs for upsell offers on IAD-CPT? Currently at Z1 FWIW

Last edited by unitedwildcat; Oct 22, 2023 at 8:31 am
Old Oct 22, 2023, 11:32 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Originally Posted by unitedwildcat
I'm on the upgrade waitlist through miles + co-pay on both ways of a RT international flight. Can I cancel the upgrade request on the outbound (no chance of clearing based on where I sit on the upgrade list) and still see DOD upgrade offers? Or do I need to cancel the upgrade both ways and re-request later for the return?

eta: Any DPs for upsell offers on IAD-CPT? Currently at Z1 FWIW
Upgrades are per leg (outbound is one inbound is separate), so yes you can cancel outbound without impacting inbound. Best to make a call to cancel upgrade request. You should be able to see upsell offers now, INTL itin, even with the upgrade instrument applied.
Old Oct 22, 2023, 11:48 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Upgrades are per leg (outbound is one inbound is separate), so yes you can cancel outbound without impacting inbound. Best to make a call to cancel upgrade request. ...[/quote] your only choice is to call, can not be done online for mileage upgrades

Originally Posted by VRFast
.... You should be able to see upsell offers now, INTL itin, even with the upgrade instrument applied.
Generally no cash upgrade visibility if waitlist on a Polaris / non-CPU flight. But in a few rare cases does
Old Oct 22, 2023, 12:08 pm

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by VRFast
....Upgrades are per leg (outbound is one inbound is separate), so yes you can cancel outbound without impacting inbound. Best to make a call to cancel upgrade request. ...
your only choice is to call, can not be done online for mileage upgrades

Generally no cash upgrade visibility if waitlist on a Polaris / non-CPU flight. But in a few rare cases does
Sorry, think I may have those 2 confused, international (non-CPU) versus domestic (CPU flight), sorry.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 22, 2023 at 12:11 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Oct 22, 2023, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA1K
Ah ok, thanks all! I am not one of the lucky few it seems…
Old Oct 22, 2023, 6:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Has anyone else taken an upgrade cash offer, in my case on the itinerary page, that seemed to be process successful, you receive a confirmation email and your credit card showed a pending charge, only to learn the upgrade failed and UA "refunded" the payment.

This has now happen to be twice, both Europe to SFO flights, both in paid PremPlus.

First case, I called after trying three times. The agent saw and tried to process the same offer. After trying some other ways, agent involved a supervisor and pushed it thru. Took close to an hour and there was never a real explanation of the issue. Ended up in P, not PZ. Dismissed it as a glitch.

Second, 6-7 weeks later, another trip , same failure. Called agent had same issue, took forever to connect with a supervisor to fix and the supervisor refused. I made the offer made and accepted and credit card card with confirming email argument and the supervisor said the offer was cancelled and refunded -- therefore was not longer available. I pushed back hard and I repeated you can not revoke the offer after accepting payment. The supervisor said sure we can and we did, there is nothing more to do. After my third insistence this was problematic (I avoid illegal as I did not want to make the supervisor shutdown). the supervisor hung up on me. I was totally frustrated.

I noticed at the end of the call the offer was still there, it was there the next day, and the next and a week later, So I tried again and failed, Was traveling and did not call to try other agent, Assumed my PNR was highlighted in red. Then a week later, two weeks after the initial try, noticed the offer was still then and had some time. This time the agent and supervisor handled it professional and without push-back. I got a hint this was not the first time they had seen this. In and out in 30 minutes. Ended up in C, not PZ.

Anybody else? The second supervisor infuriated me and I have submitted a complaint.
Xyzzy likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 22, 2023 at 8:04 pm Reason: corrections
Old Oct 23, 2023, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Ended up in P, not PZ.
Ended up in C, not PZ.
Did the PQP basis for the changed leg increase? It sounds like supervisors are refaring the ticket on an override at the lowest available bucket at the cost you would be OOP with the upgrade. If so, that suggests UA back end issue and not issue with your MP account or CC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.