Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2017 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & p.s. Premium Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2017 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & p.s. Premium Service

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2017, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by diburning
Are those... generic M&Ms?

(Does this belong in the "What is the least substantial thing you can complain about?" thread? )
"Chocolate gems" is what UA refers to them internally. Had to laugh at that since I didn't think real M&Ms were that expensive.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by diburning
Are those... generic M&Ms?

(Does this belong in the "What is the least substantial thing you can complain about?" thread? )
Wish we could have genuine M&M (with peanuts even better)!
Old Jun 17, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Wish we could have genuine M&M (with peanuts even better)!
Peanuts are not UA's favorite nut.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
"Chocolate gems" is what UA refers to them internally. Had to laugh at that since I didn't think real M&Ms were that expensive.
Just like their use of Chocolate sandwich cookies (or something similarly generic) instead of Oreo cookies. A bit sad.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
ORD->LAS
Dinner

For someone that asked recently, the addition of some extra vodka does indeed enhance the Moscow Mule.

The other entree choice was described as "chicken", which turned out to be Chicken Katsu. Would have been my choice if I had known.

But the Paneer was tasty enough, and happy to have a salad dressing other than the stupid Balsamic bottle of Polaris.
Attached Images   
Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
UX Complimentary Snack box:

Flew EWR-DCA in all Y cabin, and FA offered 1K/GS snack boxes, and I picked the Tapas box and gave it to my wife for her snack yesterday.

Old Jun 18, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I will post later but I honestly think I'm going to try an actively avoid the 77W on p.s. flights going eastbound in the future. Given how big the front cabin is, the meal service didn't finish up until 1.5 hours before landing - and since they have the pre-arrival snack, the FAs are basically feeding you the entire time.

More pictures/commentary on the food later (it was good), but it's so egregious. Love the seat of course, but flights on the 752 don't make it feel like you are being served the entire flight.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
UA759
MCO-SFO
Breakfast

First time flying a standard transcon on UA in quite some time. I was actually pretty impressed with the offering, despite making the sugariest selections I possibly could have.

Starter of fruit, yogurt, and mimosa:

Main course of waffle with berry compote and Canadian bacon plus cinnamon roll (came after the photo):

Other options were a cereal and some kind of quiche if I recall correctly. In retrospect, the waffle plus cinnamon roll probably wasn't the best pairing, but oh well, they tasted good enough.

All in all I was pleasantly surprised with the multiple courses and three offerings. On similar flights on AA and DL, this is a one-tray affair with only two options.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 8:38 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum Premier
UA515 ORD - SMF

Choice of:
Chicken with some sort of sun dried tomato topping and polenta
Butternut squash ravioli

It came with the Asian slaw and Asian sesame dressing.

Again, no dessert. I haven't had a dessert in all my dinners for the past month. Not sure what's going on. They didn't load the cookies or ice cream. The FA just took some sweets from the Economy snack cart and offered it to first class. Good recovery.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
UA 2044: SFO to MSP
June 15, 2017
Boeing 737-800, Dinner

A quick check-in on midcon dining, something that seems featured a lot recently.

Name:  15_nuts.jpg
Views: 1017
Size:  159.3 KB

The highlight of the trip might honestly have been the nuts. With ultra-low-cost nuts starting to put in an appearance here and there, it was very gratifying to get ramekins both ways which were nothing but cashews (some of them whole!) and almonds, served nice and warm with a good bit of salt. I do miss the occasional walnut mixed in there, but the nuts are one of the consistencies with UA dining that is nice.

I don't usually bother to look at labels (or even ask varietals), but the prosecco today was awful but the white wine was nice and soft, with floral notes to it.

Name:  15_main.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  194.9 KB

I had the pesto chicken and orzo (called "rice") which someone seems to have made its way to both p.s. and midcons this month. Stealing from the menu I can conclusively identify the toppings as artichoke, sun-dried tomato, and leeks. It was plated together with a really excellent salad of spring greens, mandarin oranges, grapefruit, and fennel, with a pomegranate and corn syrup dressing. The dressings are definitely sickly sweet, but go easy on them and I like them miles better than the one-flavor-fits-all olive oil in Polaris these days.

The other choice was a mushroom ravioli, which also sounded decent. As noted, domestic dining is moving to Polaris tableware. It's pretty low on the list of things I care about, but I'm generally "meh" about the change. The plate/bowl thing for the main indeed looks pretty cheap. The service was on-point, with the glass showing up on my tray with the wine I was drinking with the nuts - first time this year the "tray glass" hasn't sat empty the whole meal.

Name:  15_dessert.jpg
Views: 1050
Size:  162.1 KB

Dessert was the salted caramel ice cream, thoughtfully done with a real spoon. Complain about the paper cup all you want, it was delicious!
Old Jun 18, 2017, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
UA 372: MSP to SFO
June 18, 2017
Boeing 737-800, Dinner

I'm not really sure what's going on with western midcon catering at the moment. This thread has June lunch/dinner meals from IAH-SNA, ORD-LAS, and ORD-SMF and they're all different. This flight was different still, and I had the distinct feeling I was on the receiving end of a catering snafu.

Name:  18_main.jpg
Views: 1185
Size:  205.4 KB

Due to shenanigans (my own fault) I was consigned to 4F on this 738, and got the sCO front-to-back treatment. I think I heard a "cheese ravioli" on offer to the pax in Row 3, but when it was time for my order, all that was left was "beef with root vegetables" or "awkward silence". I must have had some sort of premonition (I'm usually good with beef), as I actually considered asking for a burger instead, and I think I wish I did.

The salad was spectacularly uninspired: a pile of spinach leaves with a single grape tomato, single olive, and small ball of mozzarella cheese. At least it was palatable. Meanwhile, the beef tasted like it had escaped from a beef stew TV dinner and the "root vegetables" were some of the saddest specimens I have seen in a long while. It reminded me most strongly of the beef I had this year on NZ short-haul Y, but it did not compare favorably to that. Combine it with the fact that the roll (a type I've never seen on UA) was downright inedible due to its chewy dryness that not even the butter could fix, and I was left wondering if they filched some meals destined for DL long-haul Y to cover a mis-cater. It certainly tasted like they dumped a Y meal onto a plate, blech.

Paired with the Lagunitas 12th of Never, which was pretty decent although somewhat hoppy for my tastes when it comes to sipping or pairing with food.

Name:  18_dessert.jpg
Views: 1101
Size:  185.4 KB

The cookie for dessert was a nice improvement though. UA really does a great job with its cookies, compared to cookies I've had on OAL. I hope these stick around.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:57 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by findark
UA 2044: SFO to MSP
June 15, 2017
Boeing 737-800, Dinner

A quick check-in on midcon dining, something that seems featured a lot recently.

Attachment 34550

The highlight of the trip might honestly have been the nuts. With ultra-low-cost nuts starting to put in an appearance here and there, it was very gratifying to get ramekins both ways which were nothing but cashews (some of them whole!) and almonds, served nice and warm with a good bit of salt. I do miss the occasional walnut mixed in there, but the nuts are one of the consistencies with UA dining that is nice.

I don't usually bother to look at labels (or even ask varietals), but the prosecco today was awful but the white wine was nice and soft, with floral notes to it.

Attachment 34551

I had the pesto chicken and orzo (called "rice") which someone seems to have made its way to both p.s. and midcons this month. Stealing from the menu I can conclusively identify the toppings as artichoke, sun-dried tomato, and leeks. It was plated together with a really excellent salad of spring greens, mandarin oranges, grapefruit, and fennel, with a pomegranate and corn syrup dressing. The dressings are definitely sickly sweet, but go easy on them and I like them miles better than the one-flavor-fits-all olive oil in Polaris these days.

The other choice was a mushroom ravioli, which also sounded decent. As noted, domestic dining is moving to Polaris tableware. It's pretty low on the list of things I care about, but I'm generally "meh" about the change. The plate/bowl thing for the main indeed looks pretty cheap. The service was on-point, with the glass showing up on my tray with the wine I was drinking with the nuts - first time this year the "tray glass" hasn't sat empty the whole meal.

Attachment 34552

Dessert was the salted caramel ice cream, thoughtfully done with a real spoon. Complain about the paper cup all you want, it was delicious!
I absolutely will complain. They took away the sundaes. The ice cream in a cardboard cup is a joke.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cmd320
UA759
MCO-SFO
Breakfast

First time flying a standard transcon on UA in quite some time. I was actually pretty impressed with the offering, despite making the sugariest selections I possibly could have.

All in all I was pleasantly surprised with the multiple courses and three offerings. On similar flights on AA and DL, this is a one-tray affair with only two options.
having flown the MCO-LAX (aka Disney Express) route many times, we got the one tray affair, the whole service done in an hour half and nothing until an hour before landing and the snack basket came out.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ual1234
I absolutely will complain. They took away the sundaes. The ice cream in a cardboard cup is a joke.
Sundaes would be better, but at least the caramel gelato tastes good...much better than the crap Nestle vanilla grade school ice milk that shows up in Polaris.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ual1234
When did SFO-MSP have sundaes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.