Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2017 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & p.s. Premium Service

2017 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & p.s. Premium Service

Old Jan 29, 2017, 1:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by findark
Huh. I've never had United's rendition, but I'll agree that doesn't look much like a cioppino.
In past years there was an entrée that more closely resemble a SF cioppino. This is a new and different dish and appropriate not called a cioppino.

2012 UA San Francisco cioppino offering

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 29, 2017 at 1:30 pm Reason: 2012 posting
Old Jan 29, 2017, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by findark
In the end, the food victory of the day was finding tomato gouda soup in the SFO UC
Was that really tomato gouda soup? I was in the SFO club in the afternoon and while it looked like a tomato based soup, the sign said red pepper gouda.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 6:51 pm

Programs: United
DEN-SFO...?

Long time lurker, rare poster ... Anyone care to comment on the likelihood of a 1st choice meal happening on DEN - SFO or the return for a non-elite? Thinking "close to 0" as flying at peak times ... on another note, anyone seen Glenfarclas on domestic 1st? Advertised on their website ... Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 29, 2017, 8:16 pm

Programs: United Platinum
Originally Posted by Ski CB
Long time lurker, rare poster ... Anyone care to comment on the likelihood of a 1st choice meal happening on DEN - SFO or the return for a non-elite? Thinking "close to 0" as flying at peak times ... on another note, anyone seen Glenfarclas on domestic 1st? Advertised on their website ... Thanks in advance!
Really this depends on your taste and the taste of those around you. I flew first & international business for much of last year as I worked my way up from no status to platinum. Even without status, I got my first choice 50/50 or so. Later at night some travelers refuse the meal but they cater the same so that can work to your favor.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
When I flew the other week it was an salad (w/ chicken on the side) or pretzel bun burger. In row 2 the woman across from me ordered salad and got the burger. My Dad (no status) next to me asked for and got the salad but not sure if it just happened to be a toss up between him and the woman across from us or if because me being a 1K and he same last name she elected for him.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I've had the Glenfarclas a few times domestically. It's not at all bad. Be warned that they don't seem to cater a whole ton of it.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by 1kBill
Was that really tomato gouda soup? I was in the SFO club in the afternoon and while it looked like a tomato based soup, the sign said red pepper gouda.
It's a tomato bisque with red peppers and gouda. The peppers are not a big factor and it's delicious!

If you sit near the front of the F cabin it's pretty likely. The official policy is to serve GS and 1K their choice, and then front to back. In my time as a non-1K in F I never missed my first choice of meal (possibly a few times where I was offered 2/3 choices and I didn't notice). The meal loading usually balances pretty well and it's not that many pax who are disappointed.

Glenfarclas is standardly available, and it's been a long time since I've had any issue ordering it.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
STLSFO
E-175
Dep: 1746

Choices were salad with chicken or pasta salad; also seemed to be the same options on SFOSTL (overheard).

Pretty decent offering. Could see this getting old after a while if they are offering it both directions.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 7:46 pm

Programs: United
Thanks All ! Reading responses now...
Old Jan 31, 2017, 1:25 am

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
STLSFO
E-175
Dep: 1746

Choices were salad with chicken or pasta salad; also seemed to be the same options on SFOSTL (overheard).

Pretty decent offering. Could see this getting old after a while if they are offering it both directions.
I was outbound today SFO-STL and had the chicken salad. Guess it's the salami pasta tomorrow night ... too bad the choices are identical both ways.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by greenpau
I was outbound today SFO-STL and had the chicken salad. Guess it's the salami pasta tomorrow night ... too bad the choices are identical both ways.
So it shows that on non-oven equipped plane Lunch and Dinner might/are the same. I can see UA could make some changes to the pasta salad to last a while, and maybe make it a true antipasto salad.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by greenpau
I should say that the only points of reference were the FA on my flt (STLSFO) saying that the choices were the same as the inbound, and then flying SFOSTL and, since I was a row behind F, hearing the FA describe the choices.

That being said, STL is a station that ends up getting double catered from the hubs so the last couple of flights I have taken there have been a couple of anomalies. Of course the fact that they actually are flying mainline and RJ's with F is a huge improvement over the years of the CO ERJ dominance.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 6:30 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
SJC-IAH

New nuts with seasoning. I really didn't taste anything noticeable in it. While some were a bit chewy the new green (soy, I guess?) bean was really nice and crunchy.

Salad was nice with a decent amount of spinach layered in there along with the mushrooms and squash. There was a beef & salad dish offered or the "Creole" shrimp with what I guess was cheesy grits? The shrimp was really good and tasty. The other mush reminded me of cheap hotel breakfast powdered eggs.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA1K
2/4 UA495 LAX-DEN
red pepper quiche with sausage and potatoes and a side of fruit

no pictures but it was really good!
Old Feb 9, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Premier Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Flying SFO-IAD on a Hawaii-config'ed 772 in F next week. Breakfast scheduled.
Scrolling through, I see a lot of mentions of dinner/lunch, but not much about what the current DOM breakfast menu is for transcon flights.
Would anybody like to share a report/menu pic ?

(and I'll follow up w/ pics and a report after it actually happens ).
Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.