Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
United is rolling out the 777-300ER to its fleet. These planes will be the first to feature the new Polaris business class seating, with direct aisle access.

Information about the plane from the United website is here

The plane features 60 Polaris class seats, 24 Premium Plus seats, 62 Economy plus seats, and 204 Economy seats. All economy seating is in a 3-4-3 format (except for 2-4-2 in the last two rows of the plane).

Seat width in economy is 17", down from the 18" in the sUA 777-200, and slightly narrower than the 787 width of 17.3". Bassinets are provided in 20EF, 30EF, and 46EF - the center seats on the three bulkhead rows.

Polaris seats have their own power outlets; Economy seats also have power (2 outlets per 3 seats or 2 per 4 seats; all bulkhead seats have their own power). Each seat has a dedicated USB power port as well.

Detailed seating plan: AeroLOPA -- https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77w

From sbm12:
I flew on the media preview flight this week and wrote up a detailed report on which seats are good and bad on the new United 77W. Here's a summary of my thoughts.

Polaris Seating

General notes
  • Accessible lav at 2L is the largest on board and useful for PJs changing.
  • Row 1 has no overhead bins in the center.
  • Galley at 2L/R handles crew meals so will be busier than the forward galley throughout the flight. There is also a "passthrough" at 2L/2R that is not a galley but has shelves for food prep and snacks. As a result, the front row of the second cabin isn't quite as directly exposed to galley noise.
Seating choices
  • Bulkhead seats remain the best choice for foot well reasons. "Straight" seats are second best while angled seats have a tapered foot well for the last 10 inches of the bed length.
  • The downside of the "straight" seats is the 9" notch to slide in through but overall those will remain my seats of choice. Avoid 6/7/8 for noise reasons IMO.

• Even-row "window" seats are a bit of a misnomer. The window, if any, is across a utility table and not well-positioned for viewing. They're more semi-aisle seats.
  • Row 16 has no window. Row 18 has one window far to the rear and part of another forward. The angles are such that you can barely see out of either.
Best Window Seat (best to worst):
  • 9A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 9L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 1A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered)
  • 1L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered) Picture from 1L
  • any other odd-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • any other even-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • 7A/L
  • 8A/L
  • 6A/L
  • 16A/L
Best Center Pair Seat (best to worst):
  • 9D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • 1D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • Any other odd
  • Any other even

Economy Plus
  • AVOID 3024A/L [seats renumbered with addition of PP at all costs. Freezing cold in flight and the narrowest seats on board. Plus no window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Bulkhead seats have good legroom, very similar to what extending your feet on a normal row would offer.

Economy
  • Row 5650 outside pairs are some of the best, though all the way at the back. A little extra space (especially under-seat stowage) and still some overhead space, something 57 lacks. Row 57 also has a misaligned window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Baby Bassient Positions in Business: 9A & 9L, PP 20EF, E+ 30EF, 46EF
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL

With booking of seats now available, seems like there's no better time to get a Wiki-thread started . . .
Old Dec 9, 2016, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
10 Across Y ... Clearly nowhere further than row 18
Old Dec 9, 2016, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
On the 747s, non-elites (and even some elites who don't mind less legroom) often prefer the last three rows when traveling with a companion since there are no middle seats for the outer groups. Since that is also the case here for the last two rows, I wonder if those will become the new "coveted" economy seats for couples.

With 17" width in economy... Let's just say I'll definitely be making an effort to ensure I'm in Polaris.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 5:11 pm

The seat map makes it look like 52A/L are "special" seats.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
In the Polaris class what was the consensus again regarding which seats were better? All odd numbered rows I believe? Or was it the even numbered ones?
Old Dec 9, 2016, 5:51 pm

Programs: *
Isn't this thread premature and too speculative? Shouldn't we wait tI'll people have actually sat in thr various seats and report their experience?
Old Dec 9, 2016, 8:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
Originally Posted by radiowell
The seat map makes it look like 52A/L are "special" seats.
Yes. They are wider than all the other Y seats.

Seatmap also shows E+ bassinet positions as 19EF, 23EF....but there is no 23EF.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by wh6cto
Seatmap also shows E+ bassinet positions as 19EF, 23EF....but there is no 23EF.
23EF are the lav seats UA can't even get their own information correct.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 1:38 am
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ani90
Isn't this thread premature and too speculative? Shouldn't we wait tI'll people have actually sat in thr various seats and report their experience?
^

I totally agree with this. This thread is going to fill up with the same posts/conversations about what people think of the new Polaris, what they saw at the Polaris events, complaining about the 10 abreast Y, etc., etc., etc. that is already the subject of many other threads. Not that those conversation are unwarranted, but when the 777-3000 finally takes the skies, this thread will be 50 pages of generally off-topic of speculative "information".

No offense to the OP. I understand the desire to want to start the thread.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 3:39 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I imagine 1 and 9 D/G will have bigger footwells as they are bulkhead seats, just based on what I recall from the EWR private event for Polaris.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 8:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ani90
Isn't this thread premature and too speculative?
Not for pax who are now booking the 77W and want to know which are likely to be the best seats. Based on all the UA Polaris events, there's already a fair amount of intel about the seats and configuration. And as someone who plans to book one of the first flights (either EWR or HKG) I appreciate the existence of this thread. No one forces you to spend your time here.
jjmoore likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 8:57 am

Programs: UA GOLD (1MM)
Originally Posted by Kacee
Not for pax who are now booking the 77W and want to know which are likely to be the best seats. Based on all the UA Polaris events, there's already a fair amount of intel about the seats and configuration. And as someone who plans to book one of the first flights (either EWR or HKG) I appreciate the existence of this thread. No one forces you to spend your time here.
Well said
Old Dec 10, 2016, 1:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
[Moderator hat on]
Concerning if this is too premature or not. A case has been made those booking now may appreciate insights of those from the Polaris preview sessions and that makes senses.

However general chatter about Polaris, general seat comfort versus other aircraft , etc seems better covered in one of the existing Polaris threads (and such posts have been moved).

Let's keep this thread, as are the other "Where to sit threads" on how to choose your seat for this particular aircraft.

Thanks
WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
[/Moderator hat on]

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 10, 2016 at 1:11 pm Reason: links
Old Dec 10, 2016, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
That thread has a poor signal to noise ratio, now that the event has passed. I pulled these quotes for here, to give those of us booking now something to go on:

Originally Posted by villox
- I was also at the event. The seat is definitely going to be claustrophobic at the shoulders and there is going to be a big difference in footwell depending on what seat you're in. But WAY more privacy, and unlike the NH 787 seat I've flown in (my only other all-aisle access for comparison) I don't see hitting my shin on the top of the footwell/bottom of TV.
Originally Posted by jcacciotti
I was at the SF event several weeks ago, and I didn't feel claustrophobic at all. The A and D seats along the windows in rows one 1, 3, and 5 will be very private and have views out of three windows. IMHO, they will be among the best C class seats in the air. If anything the aisle hugging angled seats in even rows felt over exposed (and a bit tight). My takeaway: know where you are going to sit!
Here's a video tour giving me the best first-hand look I could find on seating (on board starts at 2:00):

On other p.s. service equipment there can be a faint seat well advantage to 1A, 1D. Always a chance of galley light and noise.

I bought five flights EWR to SFO for this Spring, and based on this research I'm choosing 3A.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
From all known info & images, I'm gonna be an odd-number row window seat guy. Will hafta see if Amy footwell size discrepancy exists. For 787 was easy for me to get quick IAH-DEN hops to check things out, not so convenient this time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.