Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
United is rolling out the 777-300ER to its fleet. These planes will be the first to feature the new Polaris business class seating, with direct aisle access.

Information about the plane from the United website is here

The plane features 60 Polaris class seats, 24 Premium Plus seats, 62 Economy plus seats, and 204 Economy seats. All economy seating is in a 3-4-3 format (except for 2-4-2 in the last two rows of the plane).

Seat width in economy is 17", down from the 18" in the sUA 777-200, and slightly narrower than the 787 width of 17.3". Bassinets are provided in 20EF, 30EF, and 46EF - the center seats on the three bulkhead rows.

Polaris seats have their own power outlets; Economy seats also have power (2 outlets per 3 seats or 2 per 4 seats; all bulkhead seats have their own power). Each seat has a dedicated USB power port as well.

Detailed seating plan: AeroLOPA -- https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77w

From sbm12:
I flew on the media preview flight this week and wrote up a detailed report on which seats are good and bad on the new United 77W. Here's a summary of my thoughts.

Polaris Seating

General notes
  • Accessible lav at 2L is the largest on board and useful for PJs changing.
  • Row 1 has no overhead bins in the center.
  • Galley at 2L/R handles crew meals so will be busier than the forward galley throughout the flight. There is also a "passthrough" at 2L/2R that is not a galley but has shelves for food prep and snacks. As a result, the front row of the second cabin isn't quite as directly exposed to galley noise.
Seating choices
  • Bulkhead seats remain the best choice for foot well reasons. "Straight" seats are second best while angled seats have a tapered foot well for the last 10 inches of the bed length.
  • The downside of the "straight" seats is the 9" notch to slide in through but overall those will remain my seats of choice. Avoid 6/7/8 for noise reasons IMO.

• Even-row "window" seats are a bit of a misnomer. The window, if any, is across a utility table and not well-positioned for viewing. They're more semi-aisle seats.
  • Row 16 has no window. Row 18 has one window far to the rear and part of another forward. The angles are such that you can barely see out of either.
Best Window Seat (best to worst):
  • 9A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 9L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 1A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered)
  • 1L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered) Picture from 1L
  • any other odd-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • any other even-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • 7A/L
  • 8A/L
  • 6A/L
  • 16A/L
Best Center Pair Seat (best to worst):
  • 9D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • 1D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • Any other odd
  • Any other even

Economy Plus
  • AVOID 3024A/L [seats renumbered with addition of PP at all costs. Freezing cold in flight and the narrowest seats on board. Plus no window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Bulkhead seats have good legroom, very similar to what extending your feet on a normal row would offer.

Economy
  • Row 5650 outside pairs are some of the best, though all the way at the back. A little extra space (especially under-seat stowage) and still some overhead space, something 57 lacks. Row 57 also has a misaligned window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Baby Bassient Positions in Business: 9A & 9L, PP 20EF, E+ 30EF, 46EF
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by FlyHighInTheSky
Honestly, this viewpoint comes as a surprise to me. After flying the new product, I was totally pleased. The narrow entry wasn't even on my radar, and I got up at least 6 times.
I agree with Ber2dca. The path to the window seats are really narrow and I am not a big guy.
Old May 11, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by yanks10952
whats with 19 L and A it seems no one should bump into you but you still have the bulkhead?
Those should be good options if you want to try to get some sleep.
Old May 11, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Thoughts on 9A please.

Thank you. Any noise from lav flush? Light from galley?
Old May 12, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Madone59
Walking through IAD on Saturday and hit the breaks when I saw one of the new 777-300's parked at D26.
What was the plane doing at IAD? Is it on a regular turn or was it just a one-off flight?
Old May 12, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by coolbeans202
What was the plane doing at IAD? Is it on a regular turn or was it just a one-off flight?
I was told it was a one off. Operated IAD-LHR-IAD-SFO
Old May 12, 2017, 7:07 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
If the path to the seat is that narrow, letting larger and perhaps somewhat immobilized people book those seats would seem to be pretty unsafe. If they have to squeeze and hold their breath just to get into their seat, the odds of them being able to evacuate the seat quickly are bad.
I noted the same thing in my review above. No way anyone who is "large" is going to get in comfortably. It is not an issue for me, but the space is very tight. Anyone with a big waist or belly, or cankles, forgett-about-it.

Originally Posted by FlyHighInTheSky
Honestly, this viewpoint comes as a surprise to me. After flying the new product, I was totally pleased. The narrow entry wasn't even on my radar, and I got up at least 6 times.
If you are not wide, and don't mind tight spaces, you might not notice. It did not bother me, but it will be an issue for some.
Old May 20, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: United Mileageplus
Can someone please advise whether 9D is better than 5G? Is the proximity to the galley and toilets bothersome?

Thanks.
Old May 23, 2017, 8:03 am

Programs: Continental
It's not really a galley, it's a walk through, the galley was in front of it.
I sat in 9L yesterday...no problem with this area.

Did anyone notice what looks like a couple of built-in cameras at the top of each avod unit? or am I being paranoid?
Old May 23, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by hockey7711
Did anyone notice what looks like a couple of built-in cameras at the top of each avod unit? or am I being paranoid?
Believe that's a light sensor that's there to alter screen brightness appropriately. But agreed, it really does look like a camera...
Old May 23, 2017, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mikeminer
Can someone please advise whether 9D is better than 5G? Is the proximity to the galley and toilets bothersome?
My conclusion after reading numerous conflicting comments on this point is that if you're the kind of person who's bothered by proximity to the lavs and galley, yes, it will be bothersome. If you're not, no. Since you're asking, the answer is likely yes.
Old May 26, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Flying NRT-SFO Originally had 21A then changed to 19L from what I have read here. Im 6 feet tall, Normally Im not a fan of bulkheads and unsure if I made the right selection . I really prefer windows in Y on long hauls as I don't particularly like to be disturbed and don't get up all that often. I see from one of the photos posted that the armrests do not move in row 19 and the seats are a bit narrow than a 737. However what I read from sbm12 convinced me to change as the other rows have limited room to get in and out. Any first hand information would be helpful. Thanks and Safe Travels
Old May 26, 2017, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Flying NRT-SFO Originally had 21A then changed to 19L from what I have read here. Im 6 feet tall, Normally Im not a fan of bulkheads and unsure if I made the right selection . I really prefer windows in Y on long hauls as I don't particularly like to be disturbed and don't get up all that often. I see from one of the photos posted that the armrests do not move in row 19 and the seats are a bit narrow than a 737. However what I read from sbm12 convinced me to change as the other rows have limited room to get in and out. Any first hand information would be helpful. Thanks and Safe Travels
I would definitely take (non-exit row) bulkhead on this plane, and while i am not a window guy, I would take one on this dread bird to avoid getting bumped as people go past.
Old May 26, 2017, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Based upon my experiences flying Y on the 787—with the caveats that implies—I think that's the right choice. The photos sbm12 took look, although not particularly generous, acceptable for 6'-height legs.
Old May 29, 2017, 6:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, US CP
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Thank you. Any noise from lav flush? Light from galley?
Just got off an SFO-EWR p.s. flight on the 77W in 9A. Couldn't really hear flushing but you could hear the lav door opening and closing. Also FA's tended to gather in the galley between the two Polaris cabins so there was some noise and light issues. Wouldn't recommend this seat if those are problems for you. I always put on the eyemask and earplugs anyways so it wasn't an issue.

Otherwise, aside from the fact that wifi wasn't working on our flight, I thought the new Polaris seats were pretty good. The fabric was a bit itchy (not an issue on longhaul when there is a mattress pad) and the seat was a little tight if you wanted to lie flat on your back, but overall it was pretty comfortable. One thing I really appreciated is that the lower half of the seat went completely flat before the upper part, so if you wanted to have a little extra head support you had that option, which is something I have never seen even on some international F seats (like CX F/JL F or SQ Suites). Service on the shorter flight was a little slow with such a big cabin but we were done about 2 hours in and I slept for the remaining 3 hours.
Old May 29, 2017, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by chasgoose
The fabric was a bit itchy (not an issue on longhaul when there is a mattress pad)
I noted the same thing above, and am surprised others have not commented on it. Perhaps I am more sensitive since I travel in shorts when going to relatively warm places (if I don't need to wear a suit ) but I though the fabric was definitely not of a high quality.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.