Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Arg. They moved the Premier checkin at SFO again ( Dec 1 2016 )

Old Dec 3, 2016, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

Anyone check in at SFO recently? I got home last night and noticed a staffed check-in area with "Premier Access" and "Premier 1K/United Polaris" lanes over by the exit from E pier (doors 1-3). The 1K line also had the "secret GS globe" and the GS lobby (now?) said "United Global Receptions"

I didn't have time to walk the length of T3, but I think old premier check-in might now just be group check-in? It may have been like this when I flew out on Monday, but I was in a rush and just went straight through security. If they are re-doing it again, E pier seems like a silly place for premier check-in due to a lack of an E checkpoint. (And I think we all know F-3 is way better than F-1...)
Old Dec 3, 2016, 10:45 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist

Just went through SFO and they've moved the Premier checkin to the far right side of the terminal (doors 1-3, farthest from BART). Talked to an agent there who said the change was made overnight on Dec 1, 2016.

The area closest to BART (doors 11 & 12) is now group checkin and the 'special assistance' area.

The new checkin area looks nice, but I'm peeved... they tried this two years ago, and got such bad feedback that they moved it back a year or so ago. The fact they're moving it again isn't cool... not only is it farther from BART, but its farther from the security checkpoint and in a drop off area that usually sees more jammed up traffic.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 10:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
All the more reason to check in online.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 10:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
All the more reason to check in online.
And drop off baggage online.

This will be a big annoyance to those of us who fly out of SFO.

Last edited by Doc Savage; Dec 3, 2016 at 11:02 pm
Old Dec 3, 2016, 10:58 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dordal
they tried this two years ago, and got such bad feedback that they moved it back a year or so ago.
I'm not thrilled about this change either, since I typically arrive either by BART or park at G Terminal, but I think the most common objection to the prior set-up was the self-tag kiosks . . . hope they haven't brought those back.

So have they also moved Premier security back to the east side of the concourse?
Old Dec 3, 2016, 11:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Did premier security move also?
Old Dec 3, 2016, 11:16 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm not thrilled about this change either, since I typically arrive either by BART or park at G Terminal, but I think the most common objection to the prior set-up was the self-tag kiosks . . . hope they haven't brought those back.

So have they also moved Premier security back to the east side of the concourse?
There's no security at all on the east (south?) side of the terminal AFAIK. The nearest checkpoint is the one in the middle, around door 5-6 or so, which dumps you into the area between boarding area E & F. That does have a Premier line, as well as Precheck.

Precheck still exists at the checkpoint next to Door 11 & 12, but I think Premier security is gone from there. I'm not 100% sure though... I didn't see any signs when I walked by tonight, but that checkpoint was also closed (closes at 5pm).
Old Dec 4, 2016, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Did you see a Polaris check-in area? A poster in another thread posted a picture showing a Polaris/1K check-in desk - didn't indicate airport.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 3:07 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm not thrilled about this change either, since I typically arrive either by BART
It probably depends on time of day in terms of whether there's any real queues, but I've usually just checked in at G when I'm arriving on BART. The only time I've ever got pushback was from an agent who warned me that my bag might not make it to the domestic terminal on time (It was 90 minutes until the flight, so that seemed a touch extreme)
Old Dec 4, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Uggghh why?

Extra annoying since OLCI is acting up today for me.

Crossing to 1k on my next flight, so I guess my first email to 1kvoice will be to complain about this.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 11:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by televisor
Uggghh why?

Extra annoying since OLCI is acting up today for me.

Crossing to 1k on my next flight, so I guess my first email to 1kvoice will be to complain about this.
If you are not checking bags, you can use the checkin machines in the international terminals as you walk from BART, just a few steps out of your way; that's what I do to get a paper boarding pass.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 11:27 am

BART riders who check bags aside (a small percentage even of BART riders), the new location is closer to the gates that are actually used in that terminal, as well as the lounges. Less walk and time for the vast majority of premium pax who are coming by a rideshare, taxi, or private vehicle.

If they get the bag stations staffed, it's an improvement.

It also happens to be closer to the AirTrain walkway, which is where signage tends to direct people from BART (yes i know it can be faster to walk if you don't have heavy bags).

If you're not checking bags and coming off BART, you just pick up a boarding pass at any kiosk along the way. Still have to schlep to the gate which is usually nowhere near the old Premier checkin.

GS lobby stayed at its 'new' location the last 2 years, right?.

And we don't know the staffing situation / lane automation that may be going on to improve overall flow.

Last edited by cerealmarketer; Dec 4, 2016 at 11:33 am
Old Dec 4, 2016, 11:28 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
If you are not checking bags, you can use the checkin machines in the international terminals as you walk from BART, just a few steps out of your way; that's what I do to get a paper boarding pass.
I will be checking bags tomorrow : /.

Most of the time I do use the Int'l kiosks though since they're actually able to scan my phone BP. I wish they'd copy that design (at least the forward facing barcode scanner) to all other machines.

I have a feeling my checkin will need manual intervention regardless, in other words lots of typing by an agent...
Old Dec 4, 2016, 11:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum
I was there on the morning of Dec 1. My Uber happened to drop me off at door 2 and I was pleasantly surprised to see the very large 1K / Polaris checkin area there.

Old Dec 4, 2016, 11:42 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
And drop off baggage online.

This will be a big annoyance to those of us who fly out of SFO.
Another reason to travel with only carry-on.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.