Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

Hour 6:00 a.m. 9:00 p.m. daily
A la carte dining, last seating 8 p. m.

United flights with the premium cabin class listed as 'Polaris Business' qualify for deaparture, connecting and arrival of a United Polaris flight.
UA premium cabin flights not marketed as Polaris, such as Domestic First or International Business (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, northern South America, ... ) are not eligible for Polaris lounge access.
For partner, Business or International First, access only at departure airport and same destination restrictions as UA (roughly at least 8+ hours long haul international - TATL, TPAC, yes any UA Polaris destination but no trans-border).

No Guests (except 1 guest for International First partner flights)

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges (wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

International T5 ORD partner *G lounges
Print Wikipost

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Old Dec 2, 2016, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by EWR764
I can't think of many international J lounges better than this one. There are definitely a few out there (setting aside the true F lounges) but the design, amenities and F&B put the PL in pretty rarefied air, IMO.

United got this one right. Hopefully they can maintain this level of quality over the long term and resist the urge to start cutting costs.
The one thing that I think they will do to both please what will be a likely complaint and trim costs slightly is add the more traditional liquor brands to the lineup. Although I'm not one of them, there will be people who will want Jack Daniels, Bacardi, and Miller Lite for their drinks. I'm hopeful it will be a supplement to the current beverage options, but I see it happening at some point nonetheless.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 8:48 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
The pictures of the lounge and menus make this lounge look hugely successful! I look forward to checking out this lounge soon. Hopefully other lounges open up soon too.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 9:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Does the Polaris lounge use the same "drinks are free, but you're expected to tip" policy as the regular UA clubs?
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:22 am

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by st530
Yes. :-D
That's why i routed my wife through ORD to NRT.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:23 am

Programs: United 1P
So I read this from United FAQ:

Only customers traveling in United Polaris business class or United Polaris first class on long-haul international flights, as well as customers traveling in international first or business class cabins on Star Alliance partner airlines, will have access to the United Polaris lounge.

I have a upcoming trip from ORD to VIE on Austrian Airlines business class. So I suppose I am eligible for access. However, Austrian Airline departs from T5, which is not connected to T1 on airside. So here is my plan:

1. Go To T5 to check in the flight and baggage.
2. Take ATS back to T1, go through security to access airside and lounge.
3. Take ATS back to T5 for my flight.

My question is whether security at T1 would let me in with a boarding pass flying out of T5?

I understand the back and forth between T1 and T5 would take time. So I'll definitely get to airport earlier.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:26 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by kevincl
My question is whether security at T1 would let me in with a boarding pass flying out of T5?
Certainly worth a try, and of course please let us know!
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:37 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver

While I can't speak for ORD, I've gone to the 'wrong' terminal at LAX, SFO, JFK and EWR and the TSA never really cared. Only wanted a same day boarding pass.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 12:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
Originally Posted by EWR764
I can't think of many international J lounges better than this one. There are definitely a few out there (setting aside the true F lounges) but the design, amenities and F&B put the PL in pretty rarefied air, IMO.

United got this one right. Hopefully they can maintain this level of quality over the long term and resist the urge to start cutting costs.
Agree. Since all my flights are TPAC and at least 80% transit in NRT, I used to love ANA's business lounge a lot more than UC at NRT. Now to me, current UC is in a striking distance with ANA's lounge all things considered, just imagine the new Polaris in NRT by end of next year! One thing ANA shines is the noodle bar while UA's sushi offering is more superb. Also UA provides ready eat fresh fruits and bananas while ANA only has canned fruit salad. I have visited ANA first class lounge at HND and it's really great though, way better than its business lounge.

Food wise for all other Asian lounges so far I have visited, TG's BKK business lounge is underwhelmed so is Air China's PEK business lounge. Three standouts to me are HKG's SQ's lounge and BR's TPE and BKK lounges. I'm really puzzled why TG's business lounge food offering is so weak considering food in BKK is so delicious and cheap!

I will Fly ANA first in 3 weeks and UA first in 6 weeks via ICN, I will try ANA"s first lounge in NRT and some ICN lounges, I guess my PP card provided lounges may be better.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA GS
I just noticed that the United App has been updated so we can see the relative size of the Polaris Lounge and planned C club.

Old Dec 2, 2016, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
So I read this from United FAQ:

Only customers traveling in United Polaris business class or United Polaris first class on long-haul international flights, as well as customers traveling in international first or business class cabins on Star Alliance partner airlines, will have access to the United Polaris lounge.

I have a upcoming trip from ORD to VIE on Austrian Airlines business class. So I suppose I am eligible for access. However, Austrian Airline departs from T5, which is not connected to T1 on airside. So here is my plan:

1. Go To T5 to check in the flight and baggage.
2. Take ATS back to T1, go through security to access airside and lounge.
3. Take ATS back to T5 for my flight.

I understand the back and forth between T1 and T5 would take time. So I'll definitely get to airport earlier.
You can definitely do this.. the TSA will let you through security as long as you have a valid BP departing that airport on that date. They may try to suggest you go back to T5 but you can just explain you want to use the United Polaris Lounge which you're entitled to do, and point out you've got plenty of time. Won't be a problem.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Kind of makes me wish I had spent the extra 2-3 hours and routed my PVG trip via ORD now next May...
Old Dec 2, 2016, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by villox
I just noticed that the United App has been updated so we can see the relative size of the Polaris Lounge and planned C club.

If too scale, this will be a source of complaints when the Club reopens. That looks like a MAJOR downgrade of square footage relative to the old club.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
The bears are indeed very cute. I'm sad I'll miss the "bear window."
Old Dec 2, 2016, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by milepig
If too scale, this will be a source of complaints when the Club reopens. That looks like a MAJOR downgrade of square footage relative to the old club.
Yes but I guess between the MUCH larger B6 club and moving the biz/first to Polaris it won't be so bad.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 3:23 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, MP Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UA1K_no_more
Does the Polaris lounge use the same "drinks are free, but you're expected to tip" policy as the regular UA clubs?
Currently in the lounge now. Nice selection of bourbons at self-service counter - no tip required. And bonus, they have the appropriate tumblers in addition to actual rock cubes. Impressed so far, just skeptical of how long this will last.

As mentioned in other reviews, still no hot food selections and the cold selection is rather picked over at the moment. They will need to tighten up this part of the operation for sure.

Last edited by fullnelson3; Dec 2, 2016 at 3:26 pm Reason: Additional observations added

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.