Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilp888
Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours*. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.
*Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

Trip reports with photos:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post27799060
Print Wikipost

Polaris In-flight Experiences

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: united
Does anyone have any experiences on UA179 or UA180 with the new Polaris soft product? Any pictures of the menu to share?
Old May 4, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by dtarapac
Does anyone have any experiences on UA179 or UA180 with the new Polaris soft product? Any pictures of the menu to share?
It should be similar meals and soft products for other US-HKG flights, you can find reviews of the SFO-HKG flight here and One Mile At A Time did a good one (only difference should be the seats)
Old May 4, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Thoughts. 9A on 777-300ER.

I did 1L on March and thought that was ok. Felt maybe 1A was best. Now looking down the line for next best seats. Like extra room in foot well. Thoughts on 9A? Do you hear noise from lav flush and content moving down the plane? Thank you.
Old May 4, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by cesco.g
+ 300% !!!

And I am a bit surprised it does not get more favorable comments here ......
I like the dessert cart, not everyone wants a big bowl of ice cream. I do! so as long as they are all options. Actually, I'd prefer if the cart had more options as well. It they actually got rid of the ice cream and all they had was the card, I'd be pretty disappointed. It's reminiscent of those "after thought" desserts you see if you goto a chinese buffet.
Old May 4, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by eng3
I like the dessert cart, not everyone wants a big bowl of ice cream. I do! so as long as they are all options. Actually, I'd prefer if the cart had more options as well. It they actually got rid of the ice cream and all they had was the card, I'd be pretty disappointed. It's reminiscent of those "after thought" desserts you see if you goto a chinese buffet.
Agreed if they do away with ice cream they need to have full size deserts instead of bite sized deserts, currently they accompany the ice cream well (either to go with or for someone who doesn't want a large desert) but if that is all they have I would be disappointed.
Old May 4, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Thats why I was so disappointed with no sundae on my last flight (or the outbound EWR-LIM). Also I havent flown intl for approx 6mo and was sick on that flight so skipped the sundae and havent gotten a CPU clear on a TCON so its been a long time since I've had the sundae
Old May 4, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
I absolutely love the small desserts, particularly the salted caramel bars and the macarons. While I always enjoy the sundae, the reality is that I am already stuffed at that point (after nuts, appetizer, salad, main, and cheese) and only eat the sundae out of pure gluttony. That being said, I do think UA needs to get things into gear and find new servingware for the sundae. The substitute ice cream/sorbet is an embarrassment. Will be flying Polaris again in a little over 2 weeks and I do hope it's sorted out by then.
Old May 4, 2017, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
I absolutely love the small desserts, particularly the salted caramel bars and the macarons. While I always enjoy the sundae, the reality is that I am already stuffed at that point (after nuts, appetizer, salad, main, and cheese) and only eat the sundae out of pure gluttony. That being said, I do think UA needs to get things into gear and find new servingware for the sundae. The substitute ice cream/sorbet is an embarrassment. Will be flying Polaris again in a little over 2 weeks and I do hope it's sorted out by then.
Sometimes I dont eat the entire appetizer/entree because I'm not that hungry it it doesnt taste good. That leaves more room for the sundae (which I also do nt need to finish, though that's never happened before).

If the bowls are an issue, what happened to the old ice cream cups? Why not have the FA scoop the ice cream out like they did before. Doesn't seem like it should be that difficult.

I didn't get salted caramel bars or macarons. I just got some sort of mango tart, a cheesecake bite, and a chocolate cake bite. Maybe my desert cart was diminished as well. Disappointing for my first polaris flight
Old May 4, 2017, 11:25 am
DEN

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dtarapac
I have mentioned this before but I notice that the service is a bit rushed, both on UA 179 and UA 180.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28208703-post1337.html

I flew on UA 179 on 4-19 and UA 180 a few days later. Only have the menu from UA179. I seldom eat the entrée on long flights, but had the salad and cheese. The Hot bites and breakfast was fine.

This was the Polaris lite service (soft product), full amenities, old seating.
I think United needs to polish their cabin crew service a bit. These are seasoned FA's with lots of seniority and the level of service could be better.

DEN
Attached Images  

Last edited by DEN; May 4, 2017 at 11:29 am Reason: Added Link
Old May 4, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N104UA
Agreed if they do away with ice cream they need to have full size deserts instead of bite sized deserts, currently they accompany the ice cream well (either to go with or for someone who doesn't want a large desert) but if that is all they have I would be disappointed.
I do not expect the ice cream to disappear anytime soon (safe for the temporary hold due to cracking bowls), too many folks love ice cream.
However, I am very pleased with the additional dessert offerings introduced with Polaris and hope, they will be kept going forward.
Old May 4, 2017, 3:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
I absolutely love the small desserts, particularly the salted caramel bars and the macarons.
Me too (adding apple pie to the list). And we were told dessert servings were unlimited. So I don't agree at all with the "too small" complaint - just have another one!
Old May 4, 2017, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
The desert tower is what was missing before Polaris that really made it shine for me. I don't want a whole ice cream sundae on a flight. I would feel either wasteful taking just a bite or tempted to just keep eating it while it sits in front of me.

Now I can have one or two small nibbles of different types of sweets. As stated the salted caramel bars are great and I like the little lemon mouse as well.
Old May 4, 2017, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
I did 1L on March and thought that was ok. Felt maybe 1A was best. Now looking down the line for next best seats. Like extra room in foot well. Thoughts on 9A? Do you hear noise from lav flush and content moving down the plane? Thank you.
I flew 9A and quite enjoyed it. Minimal noise, IMO.
Old May 4, 2017, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Another vote for the desert tower. Loving it!

Ever since the desert tower introduction, I have stopped eating cheese and ice cream.
Old May 4, 2017, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Bummed to hear about the glass globe. I thought it was nice and made it Instagram worthy. More importantly, I'm booked on a Global First award flight for my once in a lifetime farewell flight on the 747 in October.

Hopefully there won't be any more reduction in service/amenities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.