Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilp888
Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours*. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.
*Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

Trip reports with photos:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post27799060
Print Wikipost

Polaris In-flight Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 1984SW
For those of you lamenting getting the tray too soon after the initial beverage service, compare that to my recent flights on Asiana (OZ) BKK-ICN-JFK-ICN-BKK. Even on the 14-hour A380 flights in J-class to/from JFK they don't do a beverage service. Ever. As soon as it's level enough, they lay table cloths and bring out the food. They deliver a small water bottle at the end of the meal, and that's the last thing you get unless you either ring your call button for a beverage or wander back to the galley to ask. When delivering the arrival meal service, they do ask what you'd like to drink. They only separate beverage service per se was predeparture.

The first flight (BKK-ICN) was a midnight departure, so I thought they eliminated the beverage service to get things done quickly so tired passengers can sleep. But both the long-haul flights, and ICN-BKK were daylight departures with plenty of time for a "cocktail hour."

Maybe be thankful for the ramekin of nuts?
In J, the above level of service is acceptable imo, and I only expect the FAs to constantly check on me the whole flight when flying F. They should be topping off your drinks during meals, and then beyond that, you should feel comfortable hitting the call button if you need a snack/drink or just go to the galley to pick up something yourself at the minibar spread.

Better comparison would be an airline like EY, where the FAs sometimes just disappear after the initial service and call lights go unanswered for long periods of time.

Last edited by Explorer789; Apr 24, 2017 at 5:52 pm
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by 1984SW
For those of you lamenting getting the tray too soon after the initial beverage service, compare that to my recent flights on Asiana (OZ) BKK-ICN-JFK-ICN-BKK. Even on the 14-hour A380 flights in J-class to/from JFK they don't do a beverage service. Ever. As soon as it's level enough, they lay table cloths and bring out the food. They deliver a small water bottle at the end of the meal, and that's the last thing you get unless you either ring your call button for a beverage or wander back to the galley to ask. When delivering the arrival meal service, they do ask what you'd like to drink. They only separate beverage service per se was predeparture.

The first flight (BKK-ICN) was a midnight departure, so I thought they eliminated the beverage service to get things done quickly so tired passengers can sleep. But both the long-haul flights, and ICN-BKK were daylight departures with plenty of time for a "cocktail hour."

Maybe be thankful for the ramekin of nuts?
I've flown the OZ long haul in J and it is an incredible value. And the upper decki 380 seats are great with huge storage space.

I don't need FA's fawning over me throughout the flight. That's why you have a call button. PLUS, they have an amazing ramen soup for the mid-flight snack. Thinking about it right now . . .
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by big V
I agonized on my last trip when to ask. Guess my instinct was right about not asking while still on the ground. I have always gotten them asking after dinner.
Just after boarding they come around and ask what they can do for me. That's when I ask. I've never been denied and have always gotten the items -- except when they had nne.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Today's AMS-EWR flight had only 3(!) of the 6 wines listed on the menu available.
Which is why they threw in the towel on the wine list before. Some things never change.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
Originally Posted by elitefreak
I've flown the OZ long haul in J and it is an incredible value. And the upper decki 380 seats are great with huge storage space.

I don't need FA's fawning over me throughout the flight. That's why you have a call button. PLUS, they have an amazing ramen soup for the mid-flight snack. Thinking about it right now . . .
Maybe you don't need it, but why should your needs be everybody else's? I don't think they need to "fawn", but passing through a cabin every 15 minutes quietly and taking orders if somebody needs something is what premium service should be.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 1:50 pm

Yesterday on PEK-ORD, we were boarded but waiting to be called for our departure window, so I asked about the pajamas while still at the gate and a very pleasant FA grabbed a pair. She also mentioned that they load pajamas in the US for the roundtrip (this 777 coming from IAD), so if the outbound passengers use them all up, no dice for inbounders. I guess I was lucky.

Unfortunately, she was not the FA assigned to me. That one was having a rough day and in a sour mood. I overheard her in the galley saying "I am so done with this!" I'm sure they could fill that position rather quickly.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
Originally Posted by venomtrilogy
Yesterday on PEK-ORD, we were boarded but waiting to be called for our departure window, so I asked about the pajamas while still at the gate and a very pleasant FA grabbed a pair. She also mentioned that they load pajamas in the US for the roundtrip (this 777 coming from IAD), so if the outbound passengers use them all up, no dice for inbounders. I guess I was lucky.

Unfortunately, she was not the FA assigned to me. That one was having a rough day and in a sour mood. I overheard her in the galley saying "I am so done with this!" I'm sure they could fill that position rather quickly.
Since they don't spoil, the should board enough for everybody wanting a pair in both directions. If they go unused, they can board them again. Really no excuse to run out.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
On 777 there is a handicap bathroom in J that is a bit bigger and easier to change in, do 787s have a similar bathroom?
Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PushingTin
On 777 there is a handicap bathroom in J that is a bit bigger and easier to change in, do 787s have a similar bathroom?
Yes
Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by PushingTin
Yes, it's the one by door 2L.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA/CO GS, PP, MM
Flew flight 31 MUC to EWR today. Usual Polaris stuff.

But no sundae. And it was listed on the menu. They had little cup containers of one random flavor of ice cream. Not happy with that. How can they think this is an even trade. How hard is it to cater ice cream sundaes. Why the difficulty now?

I had this happen last week on a PS flight too, one lousy mango sorbet flavor.

Also I noticed a (DYKWIA) guy left the plane with the duvet bedding. Is this really a thing? Why is this allowed?
Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:11 pm

The new bowls are cracking and glass chips are the result.

Systemwide haltage of all sundaes worldwide. First world problem if there ever was one
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deancowles
loved UA Polaris LHR - EWR April 8. Flight attendant said "Enjoy, they are doing away with First Class on this flight soon" I hear that is happening a lot with other airlines to convert 1st to business. they make more $$$ per square foot with business class
Welcome to FT, deancowles!

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Old news, when Polaris was "rolled out" it was announced that F was going away. It shouldn't a surprise to anyone since all new long haul aircraft for UA doesn't have F in them.
I think, deancowles was not aware of it like longtime UA-FTers like us are, e.g. not "old" news to him reporting what the FA shared with him.

Originally Posted by tuolumne
The new bowls are cracking and glass chips are the result.

Systemwide haltage of all sundaes worldwide. First world problem if there ever was one
I fully understand/support UAs decision.
Potential liability and more PR problems is the last thing UA needs right now.

Personally, I have been "sundaed-out" for a longtime and am more pleased by the non-sundae offerings anyway.
However, the leadtimes for replacement bowls appear to be rather extended.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 1:38 am

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat
Observations currently aboard 869 SFO-HKG (full Polaris):

Pajamas asked for early in the flight (pre-dinner service) for myself and mrs_g. Was told none were loaded in SFO. After the service the FA handed me 2 "We're sorry for the inconvenience cards". Mattress pads asked for and handed to us...no offer to unwrap or set up the bed.

Only 2/6 wines listed on the menu matched the actual selections onboard.

Main courses good but still dismayed by replacement of salad dressing choice and croutons with the generic bottle of vinaigrette.

No choice of bread. Pre-plated garlic bread and pretzel roll.

Also miss the cheese cart and cracker selections. Pre-plated 3 cheeses, 6 grapes, and package of 2 crackers.

Still no sundaes but little pre- packaged cups of mango sorbet.

VERY disinterested crew. No introductions, welcome aboards, thank you for your business greetings etc. Nothing proactive or special. Mrs was long finished with her PDB before I even got someone's attention and had to ask for mine. No offer of after-dinner drinks...had none on the cart and sighed when I asked for a Bailey's and coffee.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 4:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by msg75
Pajamas asked for early in the flight (pre-dinner service) for myself and mrs_g. Was told none were loaded in SFO. After the service the FA handed me 2 "We're sorry for the inconvenience cards".
Did you get comp? If not, I would write to 1kvoice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.