Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilp888
Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours*. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.
*Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

Trip reports with photos:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post27799060
Print Wikipost

Polaris In-flight Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2016, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764
Fixed for you...

~$35 NV bubbles, everything else in the $12-25 range retail. Not bad, but not a quantum leap forward. Better than the last iteration of BF and the <$10 bin.
Wish the $20 range wines they picked weren't the french ones.

Money goes further making the premium pick something new world.

So far, overdelivering on the lounge front, a notch up on the food/drink, and lots and lots of soft things on the seats.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by EWR764
Fixed for you....
Thanks! Wonder why other 2 pics not showing? What did I do wrong for future reference?
Old Dec 1, 2016, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by anandrag
Thanks! Wonder why other 2 pics not showing? What did I do wrong for future reference?
I believe your first post contained links to the album page for the image (.html) instead of an image file (.jpg). Here are the others:

Old Dec 1, 2016, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by cur
hahaha this ^^^

i mean sometimes i'd have mom bring me a burbon for breakfast
Almost exclusively!
Old Dec 1, 2016, 3:02 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
What is it that FA's need? - someone onboard who knows how to provide this service correctly, who gives the rest of FA's cues and opportunities to mimic the correct behavior? Is their training just not sufficiently deep or practiced to launch a product like this correctly? Does UA need to put Polaris-dedicated crews on it for a while? Or is it even worse, that the FAs don't want to do the work even when the product offering is better and it makes them appear better?
Old Dec 1, 2016, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TA
What is it that FA's need? - someone onboard who knows how to provide this service correctly, who gives the rest of FA's cues and opportunities to mimic the correct behavior? Is their training just not sufficiently deep or practiced to launch a product like this correctly? Does UA need to put Polaris-dedicated crews on it for a while? Or is it even worse, that the FAs don't want to do the work even when the product offering is better and it makes them appear better?
No it makes some of them feel like they are beneath you. If that is how you feel, go get another job.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Although I'm a bit meh on the Chardonnay choice, the H3 Cabernet is one of the best QPR wines out there. Even though I can buy it for less than $12 when on sale, it more than holds it own. I poured it at my wedding.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM
UA also had the Polaris Bear for all BF passengers on my morning PS flight to SFO. Very nice touch and a cute bear the kids will love.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
OP thank you for sharing your inaugural Polaris experience with us. It has been great fun following you on your trip! ^

IMO the wine selection is about right for business class -- middle of the road, somewhat edgy, and not insufferably snobby. The write-up for the California blend is unlike any description I've seen on an airline menu.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flybit
even in F class the Flight Attendants did not offer mattress pads. Reality is Polaris is NOT going to work unless UA can get the FA's to do a bit more work.
They don't have enough for the cabin, so they're on-request only.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 3:29 pm

Programs: United 1K, Bonvoy Ambassador
The only thing bad so far is the salad dressing, which must be refrigerated because it was solid and separated. A couple minutes in my hand warmer and it was ready to go and very delicious.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
OP thank you for sharing your inaugural Polaris experience with us. It has been great fun following you on your trip! ^
+1, thank you, very interesting!

I think it will be even more interesting to see what this all looks like in a year or so. It seems like there are at least some slight improvements in the short term, which is still good.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I suppose none of this feedback is overly surprising so far. If you think how difficult it was to persuade the FAs to comp drinks to 1ks in Economy - one simple instruction - it was obviously never going to happen that they would embrace a completely different approach from Day One. However, as none of the planes are ready from Day One either, it seems the reality is that UA have over-inflated people's expectations too early, rather than are necessarily delivering a dud.

As to the food and wine, it's incredibly difficult to appeal to all tastes, and especially so in a plane. For example, I read someone complaining that there was no fruit in their salad, whereas my complaint would be the precise opposite - fruit has no place in a savoury dish in my view. Likewise, someone else was complaining that they shouldn't have French wines at their price point, whereas in my view that's where French wines excel, and New World wines (with the possible exception of NZ) are at their worst.

I do believe that UA may not get all the detail right initially, but it's the direction of travel that matters, so to speak, and I'm sure they've got that right. What concerns me is that they've promoted it so heavily that they will simply disappoint people new to UA.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Have the expresso machines returned, at least on PMCO aircraft?...That was a blow when they removed from 767's and 777's.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 4:50 pm

Programs: United 1K, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by villox
The burning question on everyone's mind is whether you can get the cheese, sundae, AND dessert, or if you have to pick from one of the three.
Yes, on my flight you could have everything. Cheese course first, then they brought the dessert course. The FA suggested I have a taste of everything. They now have the same dessert on the mid flight snack cart.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.