Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilp888
Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours*. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.
*Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

Trip reports with photos:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post27799060
Print Wikipost

Polaris In-flight Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2016, 3:45 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
To be fair, it does seem that UA is going the extra mile to ensure that Polaris service is up to snuff. They have supervisors on flights now to monitor service, and many reports suggest that most FAs are excited about the new service. Let's give United a chance!!
Old Dec 4, 2016, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
To be fair, it does seem that UA is going the extra mile to ensure that Polaris service is up to snuff. They have supervisors on flights now to monitor service, and many reports suggest that most FAs are excited about the new service. Let's give United a chance!!
Like I wrote it should be an honor to work a Polaris flight, I hope this enthusiasm continues with the FA's.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 4:16 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
It should be an honor to work a Polaris flight not a right (because of seniority.)
Really? Apparently UA marketing has done an excellent job formulating expectation.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 6:04 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by RJNYC
UA895 December 2 in Polaris First. Polaris Lounge at ORD is a big improvement over the UAClub.

Big FA meeting in forward galley just prior to push back; overheard discussion of meal service mechanics and flow. Once airborne, service started very slowly (first drink order taken approximately 60 minutes into the flight), and the meal moved forward at a glacial pace. Lots of back and forth into the galley looking for cutlery, plates, and glassware. Luckily it's a long flight so we had plenty of time to kill, and the meal was decent.

Did not have PJs at my seat (and forgot to ask), and I don't remember seeing anyone in the F cabin with PJs. Bedding was very comfortable, but no one helped me with the mattress pad (self-assembly).

My initial impression is that this is a big improvement in the soft product with some service kinks to be ironed out.
Once they have more experience, the service may go more quickly. On the TATL flights, you don't want to spend too much time eating.

Definitely a step up. I'll get another try on Thursday.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 6:15 am

Programs: United 1K (after 15 years GS) 3MM, Marriott LTTitanium
Exactly

Originally Posted by JetAway
No. We're looking at new food, new bedding, new PJs, new Club and, beginning next year, new seats.
All of the above and a flight crew that was PROUD of what they are presenting. Was UA851 today and service was great. Bear checks one gift off list too.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 6:20 am

Programs: United 1K (after 15 years GS) 3MM, Marriott LTTitanium
Originally Posted by WheelsUpGal
Are the mattress pads helpful? Worth tracking one down?
Everything, no PJs , was proactively offered on my flight. The FA begged me to let her set up bed as she was still learning. Smiles and pride abounded. I am not sure about whether the bedding is worth it. But the gel pillow, and blanket were fantastic.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 4, 2016 at 10:55 am Reason: repaired quote
Old Dec 4, 2016, 6:53 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Like I wrote it should be an honor to work a Polaris flight, I hope this enthusiasm continues with the FA's.
I'm not sure it should be an "honor", but if you mean it should be based on skill/competency/performance rating, rather than seniority, I agree. That would make sense for a product being marketed as premium.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by JBord
I'm not sure it should be an "honor", but if you mean it should be based on skill/competency/performance rating, rather than seniority, I agree. That would make sense for a product being marketed as premium.
Good luck getting the unions to agree to such a sensible concept.

I would add that most crews working international J want to provide good service and they are excited to have the tools to do that.

If senior FAs want high-time trips with minimal work, they'd bid Y on domestic red eye turns.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 8:36 am

Programs: UA/CO GS, PP, MM
I'm on UA48 EWR - BOM and nearing BOM.

Overall I'd say Polaris is a big step up and will be happy to get the new hard product when it comes online.

As I noted upthread, much improved bedding supplies, no doubt due to the focus on sleep. Also improved spirits and food. Had the white wine flight and found them all drinkable. I had the chicken soup entree, was very nicely flavored but the noodles were mush and the chicken was slightly mysterious. I noticed more in flight snacks available but I didn't have any. Had the morning breakfast omelette. It seems tweaked from before and slightly improved but nothing to write home about. I noticed they served Chobani yogurt on the tray, not some no name product. I also like the new cutlery, China and linens.

The service... I noted in my previous post that the FAs seemed to be genuinely making an effort. That was true of about 80% of the FA. Unfortunately not for the FA who served me. Calling her an old battle axe would be unfair to battle axes. She was clearly going through the motions and couldn't care less of my "experience". She walked around like Frankenstein delivering the food orders. Didn't come by once to check on me or offer anything. Breakfast breads were served about 15 minutes after the omelette entree. It was clear she had memorized the wines for the wine flight when she was pouring them but when I asked for one of them she was confused. She should be in a different line of work, not a service business. But with UA union contracts we will be stuck with her and the likes of her.

So I like Polaris as an upgrade over business first and will fly it. But the FA service consistency needs to be addressed if they are really trying for a premium experience.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 9:20 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
I don't recall if this was asked, but is UA still serving breakfast as the pre-arrival meal on flights to Asia?
Old Dec 4, 2016, 9:24 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by 1kBill
I don't recall if this was asked, but is UA still serving breakfast as the pre-arrival meal on flights to Asia?
According to this menu from United 851, thats a yes:

Old Dec 4, 2016, 9:26 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by fly18725
I would add that most crews working international J want to provide good service and they are excited to have the tools to do that.
Disagree strongly with that. The pattern I consistently see on intl. flights is that FAs rush you through the meal as quickly as possible so they can go sit down for the next 8 hours.

They bring the appetizer and then seconds later the salad. Better finish the salad in 80 seconds, because then it's the entree. And have you ever seen more than a 3 minute gap between the cheese and dessert?

This is where the Polaris model might be better. At least you can get through the first part of your meal without feeling rushed.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 9:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by flyer_south
Is yours similar looking to the one in post #152?
Yes.
Originally Posted by villox
One or the reps in the lounge told me they have enough to stock every flight for the first week and then will continue "while supplies last". People really do seem to be going crazy over them, so I hope someone at United is taking note.
Many were left behind on my flight Saturday. Scanning the forward section of the 772 I counted 4 or 5 still on seats. One of those "spares" may have ended up in my bag. But I don't think that the obsession shown on FT over the bears spills over to the general public. Like many things in travel this community does not always reflect the broader trends/demands/indications all that well IMO.

Originally Posted by 1kBill
Sadly, yes. My "fix" for that problem is to ask for the grilled cheese & soup as my breakfast rather than one of the regular choices. It mostly worked on PEK-EWR yesterday.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 10:05 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by sbm12
Sadly, yes. My "fix" for that problem is to ask for the grilled cheese & soup as my breakfast rather than one of the regular choices. It mostly worked on PEK-EWR yesterday.
Great idea! Or chicken katsu when I'm flying to Japan.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 10:22 am

Programs: UA Gold + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Plat
Just flew my first Polaris Business flight yesterday - NRT-IAD. The FA seemed to make no effort to tell us about Polaris or show us what was what. No PJs were offered. I am guessing as this was 3-class, on FC got PJs. No one was shown what to do with the bedding, so most actually ended up using it as a blanket. (I did not mind it as I found the real blanket to be too thin). The flight had slippers on everyone seat, but then flight in and out of NRT had slippers even pre-Polaris. These were better quality thought. We were all given two pillows - one of which ended up on the floor for most. The new amenity kit is nicer packaging with same inside content. Bear was a nice touch, but I am sure it is a launch thing.

The food service was OK. Nothing to write home about except the new dinnerware. I ordered a special meal, which was pretty much the same quality/quantity as pre-Polaris. The Ice Cream sundaes in a chilled cup was definitely a plus.

Net net, I would say - a step up, but would be worth something is the FAs made it feel like the passengers were getting a step up. FA attitude and behavior needs an upgrade to make UA 'soft' product better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.